You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, Fionalein said:

we did,... they declined for "reasons"

After slogging through pages I had initially skipped, it struck me that any suggestions for alternative ways to continue were countered with a "yes but" culminating in a threat to burn the work to the ground if the funding to continue as is wasn't made available. It does make me wonder  how dedicated the creator is to her own work if she is that set against using other available means to at least save and continue the work of the past decade. In Opensim at least there is code available that would allow the conversion into other formats that can then be used to export to other platforms.

For now I suppose the problem is averted but I am not optimistic of the long term viability of these sort of funding drives. They tend to peter out pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

This article shines some new light on the matter:

http://slnewser.blogspot.com/2019/07/hangars-liquides-crowdfunder-passes.html

Obviously they had an invoice due August 1st by LL over half the kickstarter target.

Leaves me to wonder how much is left to operate the regions now...

That's not 'new light.' Djehan has always been entirely upfront about it. And I mean literally upfront, as the text is one of the very first lines on the frontpage of her donation page:

"Note that we wont keep the donations as long as we don't reach at least half of the goal, for we have to pay 3K on august 1st, the rest is payable throughout the rest of the year."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

After slogging through pages I had initially skipped, it struck me that any suggestions for alternative ways to continue were countered with a "yes but" culminating in a threat to burn the work to the ground if the funding to continue as is wasn't made available. It does make me wonder  how dedicated the creator is to her own work if she is that set against using other available means to at least save and continue the work of the past decade.

With political art though one wants more than just to save the art....they want it to be viewed by others. When one creates political art they hope to change minds, and the population of other venues is typically so low there aren't many minds to change. So what would be the point to go somewhere else?  For me, this is a very good sign -- someone is using their art for more than self- gratification.

If we really need to trash these people we need to come up with better arguments. I think I saw a photo of the creator, and I'm not sure I like her nose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

With political art though one wants more than just to save the art....they want it to be viewed by others.

Certainly was my thought too but a recent poster in another thread tried to convince me I had it all wrong and that the creative types weren't here for social interactions. 

In any case my point was that with the apparent deadline, it would have been possible to salvage the regions by transferring them to Opensim until such time as circumstances change and new funding sources became available. It is unfortunate but with LL's business model, suspending a regions accessibility until more funds become available is not possible I suppose. 

10 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Certainly was my thought too but a recent poster in another thread tried to convince me I had it all wrong and that the creative types weren't here for social interactions. 

In any case my point was that with the apparent deadline, it would have been possible to salvage the regions by transferring them to Opensim until such time as circumstances change and new funding sources became available. It is unfortunate but with LL's business model, suspending a regions accessibility until more funds become available is not possible I suppose. 

Well, that's not exactly what @LittleMe Jewell said. She wasn't trying to convince you 'that the creative types weren't here for social interactions.' All she said was, that social interaction is not the only reason ppl are in SL. Plus, 'many people are here to express their creative side' (And that too doesn't mean they don't want social interaction). As for the latter, I'd say that's part and parcel (no pun intended) of art: it needs to be shared. Otherwise it's like that falling tree in the forest, with no one around to hear it happen. And before ppl are trying to find fault with Djehan -- this time for allegedly not being a social type -- let's indeed look at social media. All those supposed thousands of friends** ppl have on Facebook, they don't continually 'Like' them because they're so altruistic per se, but primarily really because they want ppl to like them. That's just human nature. And when someone created something of beauty, I'm actually glad they chose to express their creative side here! In that sense, experiencing someone's art, becoming imbued with its beauty, often stirs far deeper feelings in me than any typical so-called 'social' chat would.

** Realistically, you only have 1 type of true friends: the ones willing to help you move. 😃The rest is just fluff to bolster our own ego.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

in another thread tried to convince me I had it all wrong and that the creative types weren't here for social interactions. 

An artist can attempt to make their art political, but this does not mean they socialize or chat with a lot of people generally or even about their art.
How much someone socializes with others in SL varies from creator to creator, but I think it would be safe to say that most dedicated creators don't socialize a lot -- either they prefer creating over socializing or feel that chatting with others takes limited time away from what is most important to them (creating).

For me personally, I create nature designs because I love nature and exploring it causes me to know and appreciate it even more, and I hope others feel a love for nature when they purchase and utilize what I create. But I don't talk to a lot of people inworld. I would probably still create in SL if nobody purchased my creations or otherwise appreciated them, but I wouldn't go to the trouble of setting them for sale (too time-consuming to box up items, make instructional note cards, create graphics for boxes/vendors/MP, list items on MP and in vendors,advertise).

Another important consideration, for those who think they should take their art elsewhere if it's really important to them, and if they don't they're being "victims" -- transferring elsewhere is far more difficult & time-consuming than some imagine -- especially complex builds spanning 5 regions. I declined transferring a couple of full-region designs from Inworldz when they closed that were probably my best landscapes because it's way too time-consuming & not at all a creative endeavor.

Also, the so-called  "big prims" utilized in some of the huge structures in Hangars would present a problem in a transfer attempt, as these "big prims" we can use in creations were created by others and so are not in our name -- one has to be the creator of the prims here to export them unless one has an illegal/shady viewer. 

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

An artist can attempt to make their art political, but this does not mean they socialize or chat with a lot of people generally or even about their art.
How much someone socializes with others in SL varies from creator to creator, but I think it would be safe to say that most dedicated creators don't socialize a lot -- either they prefer creating over socializing or feel that chatting with others takes limited time away from what is most important to them (creating).

I completely agree with you. :)

I just thought a bit about what you said about how creative ppl tend to 'either prefer creating over socializing or feel that chatting with others takes limited time away from what is most important to them (creating).' Then it occured to me, what if we looked at this from an entirely different perspective, so as to say that expressing themselves thru art is the way an aritist 'chats'? Aka, that's how they choose to communicate, thru their work. It's just a different form of expressing oneself, but no less valid, or less social, even.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I just thought a bit about what you said about how creative ppl tend to 'either prefer creating over socializing or feel that chatting with others takes limited time away from what is most important to them (creating).' Then it occured to me, what if we looked at this from an entirely different perspective, so as to say that expressing themselves thru art is the way an aritist 'chats'? Aka, that's how they choose to communicate, thru their work. It's just a different form of expressing oneself, but no less valid, or less social, even.

I couldn't agree more!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Another important consideration, for those who think they should take their art elsewhere if it's really important to them, and if they don't they're being "victims" -- transferring elsewhere is far more difficult & time-consuming than some imagine -- especially complex builds spanning 5 regions. I declined transferring a couple of full-region designs from Inworldz when they closed that were probably my best landscapes because it's way too time-consuming & not at all a creative endeavor.

^ This is why the artist/creator doesn't want to recreate the whole 5 regions on another platform. If you've ever accidentally sent everything on you sim back to your inventory, you might understand how much work it is to recreate what you made. Now multiply that by 10, because Hangars Liquides is a very complex build in 5 regions. I don't think many people would consider it reasonable for an artist who works in physical media to destroy and then recreate their art, so why do so many people think it's reasonable for an artist who works in SL to do so?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

^ This is why the artist/creator doesn't want to recreate the whole 5 regions on another platform. If you've ever accidentally sent everything on you sim back to your inventory, you might understand how much work it is to recreate what you made. Now multiply that by 10, because Hangars Liquides is a very complex build in 5 regions. I don't think many people would consider it reasonable for an artist who works in physical media to destroy and then recreate their art, so why do so many people think it's reasonable for an artist who works in SL to do so?

^^ This!

Also, if you were, say, an extremely famous painter, and you had your work hanging the Louvre (in Paris), and someone just told you that you're no worse off having your work displayed in some obscure backwater in the South, would anyone really feel that was an equitable proposition? Djehan has an established presence here, in the 'capital' of digital worlds. And that's where she'll stay (funds permitting).

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kiramanell said:

** Realistically, you only have 1 type of true friends: the ones willing to help you move. 😃The rest is just fluff to bolster our own ego.

Your only true friend is the one that will help you hide the body...........

and/or bails you out of jail for it

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

As @kiramanell said, you didn't quite get the meaning of my comment. 

Your comment, that I had quoted in my response (and is shown below) implied to me that you thought that nothing in SL mattered except the social interactions.  And that SL was created as a social platform and that LL has lost sight of that.  I would argue that SL was created for a lot of things and not JUST as a social platform.  I thus stated that many people (many, not all) came to SL INITIALLY for the creative aspect and any social aspect was simply a by-product of the platform.  Some of the creative ones enjoy the social aspect and some don't.  The primary part of my message though is that lots of stuff in SL matter outside the social interactions and for some people the social interactions do not matter at all.

What my comments were replying to:  

It's not about land, clothes and/or trinkets but successful social interactions. That is the goal of a social platform. LL seems to have lost sight of that if they ever actually realized it.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mollymews said:

pretty interesting comments from AM Radio over on Hamlet about what is 3D immersive art

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2019/07/am-radio-jeff-berg-metaverse-vr-art.html#comments

til now I never really knew what people were going on about in many of these kinda conversations. Now I know what is the art of waffle and what is actual 3D immersive art

Thanks for sharing that.

I read this book years ago and have been re-reading bits of it. The blurb doesn't do it it justice, as it covers a lot more ground than the commercial aspects of art. Worth a look if you like these kind of discussions:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/565519.What_s_Wrong_with_Contemporary_Art_

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 2:41 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

Could always do what I used to do when I created my sim. Would link as many objects as possible together then copy and paste the x,y,z position coordinates in the description section of the edit menu just incase this happened. If it did I would simply rez it, copy and paste the description field into the position coordinates and it was neatly back in its original space.

Edited by Drayke Newall

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

This is why I craft, especially cross stitch. How else can I stab something 500000 times and still create art?

Some people create, some people try to save the world, and some people becoming flying monkeys....

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.