You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

You just don't understand political art, Qie.

* You are the one telling the story inaccurately because you continue to focus on one aspect without taking into consideration the entirety of the project as you examine the Anne Frank quote.

Luna, I'm sorry, but you are completely missing the point Qie is making. Like, you're not even in the same ballpark.

He's not talking about the exhibit itself. At all. He's talking about the narrative that's been spun by the creator around the criticisms leveled at it.

At this point, however, it's likely best if everyone just walk away. I know I am.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

You just don't understand political art, Qie.

* You are the one telling the story inaccurately because you continue to focus on one aspect without taking into consideration the entirety of the project as you examine the Anne Frank quote.

Just wanted to preserve this as a statement of..nvm, best to leave it as is :)

I believe Qie and I are from different 'cultures'  (used very loosely) than the one your bubble is in so with very little respect I would suggest you might be a little in error.

1 minute ago, kiramanell said:

I fear Scylla is right: this thread has now run its course for me.

Sorry. I thought you'd get the intended humor behind that.

I mean... a white horse running down a city street...

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Luna, I'm sorry, but you are completely missing the point Qie is making. Like, you're not even in the same ballpark.

He's not talking about the exhibit itself. At all. He's talking about the narrative that's been spun by the creator around the criticisms leveled at it.

The "narrative that's been spun around the criticisms leveled at it" was based on the artists meaning of her project.  If one wants to critique the narrative it's imperative they understand the actual art project first. I can't see how one can separate these and come up with any sort of accurate critique.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

I believe Qie and I are from different 'cultures'  (used very loosely) than the one your bubble is in so with very little respect I would suggest you might be a little in error.

What kind of an insult is that?

I hope it doesn't have anything to do with this kind of bubble:

trumpbubble.png

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

Admittedly, I only read about half to three quarters of this thread - phew. But it seems the gist is that if some darn thing can't be found wrong with the project ,   *and man did people try" , then we must end it with criticizing her narrative, the way in which she tried to defend against those who say she's glorifying Dystopia?

Edited by Kiera Clutterbuck
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Admittedly, I only read about half to three quarters of this thread - phew. But it seems the gist is that if some darn thing can't be found wrong with the project ,   *and man did people try" , then we must end it with criticizing her narrative, the way in which she tried to defend those who say she's glorifying Dystopia?

YES!   There has been faulty communication on both sides, and nobody is to blame!     Or everyone is  o.O

Edited by Dhyaanee
  • Like 2

The problem, for me, is that the discussion didn't remain within the parameters it should have -- art and how we interpret it, our feeings about the art in HL, or even general ideas about art. Instead, it veered off into ad-hominem comments about the artist.
Around page 2 or 3 the discussion turned from how we could help this project to how we can find something wrong with it. Accusations of cheating via their discount, accusations of how they are thinking they are better than us, pleas to pay attention to our own projects that deserve to be taken into account.
I mean, toward the end, people were even nit-picking the sentence structure of a French person without considering that English is not her native language and accusing the art collective behind the project of being immoral!

I didn't see much sympathy from those who were most critical. For me, this was an artist heartbroken because one of her valuable creations she spent years and heart & soul on might vanish due to financial difficulties. That stayed foremost in my mind, and provided empathy. For so many others this seemed to be some sort of exercise in the use of words or an opportunity to clarify the laws in SL which determine a project worthy of non-profit status.

I just wish people would be as concerned about this artist, this project, or even the notion of art, as they are about finding something wrong with HL.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's a strange bubble, where one believes in love despite this:

http://www.catherineingram.com/facingextinction/

Not quite a decapitated goat picture but the picture that is painted there could result in the same effect.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
small correction
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's a strange bubble, where one believes in love despite this:

http://www.catherineingram.com/facingextinction/

Not quite a decapitated goat head picture but the picture that is painted there could result in the same effect.

Be careful if you read all that. It's not like I didn't know much of it before, but somehow this really got to me.

55 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

“Mistakes were made.”

Kinda reminds me of this true story my dad told me once. It's a bit dark, and told with irony from my side, but not from this German guy my father once met, several years after WO II. The war came up somehow, and he said to my dad "Es sind ja an beiden Seiten Fehler gemacht!" LOL. Ever since, that story served as an often-recurring joke in our household, about faux relativism. :) 

Edited by kiramanell
Will I ever make a post without typos?!
  • Like 2

Yes, someone could have just mentioned to pack it up and take it to Opensim and continue there for a lot less money. That would have saved 35 or so pages of angst and wouldn't be the first time an artist took that route. On the other hand it is/was heartwarming to see members of the S/L community take up the cause to help them out.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yes, someone could have just mentioned to pack it up and take it to Opensim and continue there for a lot less money. That would have saved 35 or so pages of angst and wouldn't be the first time an artist took that route. On the other hand it is/was heartwarming to see members of the S/L community take up the cause to help them out.

we did,... they declined for "reasons"

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.