New premium Linden homes fraud...?

cleve Byron

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

30 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This project seems like a good candidate to use “absolute position” rezzers, instead of “position relative to the rezzer”.

Wouldn't that mean that every single houseboat rezzer needs a unique script to specify the absolute positions, whereas if relative to the rezzer then the rezzer can be dropped anywhere an work without any mods?

(caveat - I know pretty much zilch about LSL)

• Like 2

I love these threads- naked guy whose ava is 9 years old and doesn't know the difference between land and structure. ALL CAPS person......

I just view these postings as a shortcut my mute /ban list. Namaste.

Am very impressed that Linden didn't make, say ,10 sample regions and then hit COPY-COPY-COPY until the place filled.

Old Linden homes- so little difference between regions, sure some had water view if you were outside ,but mainly reminded me of a parking lot at the holidays and everyone drives the same SUV.

The new ones, you can get rather attached to your view, will be harder to leave. Well done.

• Like 14

37 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wouldn't that mean that every single houseboat rezzer needs a unique script to specify the absolute positions, whereas if relative to the rezzer then the rezzer can be dropped anywhere an work without any mods?

(caveat - I know pretty much zilch about LSL)

No, just that the script would need to “store” the absolute location (in the house’s description, for example).  The workflow would be: 1) Rez house/boat manually, move to desired position. 2) Click to save absolute position 3) Put in rezzer. Rezzer would Rez at it’s root, but house would move to the saved position (rezzer doesn’t know the position). Just one of many ways to do it.

• Like 1

• Moles
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This project seems like a good candidate to use “absolute position” rezzers, instead of “position relative to the rezzer”.

It's not the positioning that's the problem, it's the rotation.

All the houses/houseboats are rezzed by one central server/rezzer on each region, in response to a message from the house controller, which sends an absolute target position to the rezzer.    The rezzer calculates the appropriate rotation from the  rotation of the house controller that's messaged it, rezzes the requested house at the required rotation and then sends the house its target location.    The house moves to the needed x and y coordinates, checks the ground level there, and positions itself appropriately.

There seem to be certain circumstances -- rare, fortunately -- in which the server/rezzer gets confused about which house controller's rotation to use.   I think I know why that is, but if I'm correct it's going to be a major pain to fix, so at present it seems better to leave things as they unless the bug keeps on reappearing. 

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Thanks 13

13 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

It's not the positioning that's the problem, it's the rotation.

All the houses/houseboats are rezzed by one central server/rezzer on each region, in response to a message from the house controller, which sends an absolute target position to the rezzer.    The rezzer calculates the appropriate rotation from the  rotation of the house controller that's messaged it, rezzes the requested house at the required rotation and then sends the house its target location.    The house moves to the needed x and y coordinates, checks the ground level there, and positions itself appropriately.

There seem to be certain circumstances -- rare, fortunately -- in which the server/rezzer gets confused about which house controller's rotation to use.   I think I know why that is, but if I'm correct it's going to be a major pain to fix, so at present it seems better to leave things as they unless the bug keeps on reappearing. 

Thanks for the additional detail, it explains why those choices were made.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RedBaronRothstein said:

*Quotes Description* This land is located in a Linden Home neighborhood. Linden Homes are provided to Premium Members. Upgrade today by clicking on the change membership link on secondlife.com

https://i.gyazo.com/7f3d26565e1142d5e0cbb7b53738e872.mp4

Key word is "Upgrade". Hmmm?

Go look at an old Linden Home neighborhood.  It has said this in about land for Linden Homes as long as I've been in SL.  

• Thanks 3

• Moles
49 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No, just that the script would need to “store” the absolute location (in the house’s description, for example).  The workflow would be: 1) Rez house/boat manually, move to desired position. 2) Click to save absolute position 3) Put in rezzer. Rezzer would Rez at it’s root, but house would move to the saved position (rezzer doesn’t know the position). Just one of many ways to do it.

Just for the record (and in case any other scripters are interested) those big green parcel marker objects you may have seen on the regions we're working on record the parcel's uuid and its central point as a KVP key-value pair.    The house controller checks the UUID of the parcel 15 metres along its own positive x axis and records it, along with the parcel's centre (because it knows the UUID of the parcel with which it's associated, it can now use that to request the centre of the parcel from the KVP records).

When it receives an instruction from the dialogue menu to rez a new house, it reads the correct offset for whatever model of house has been ordered (stored in a list it has previously read from KVP), and then uses that, and its own rotation, to calculate the target location for the house's root prim, and sends the result to the server/rezzer along with the model of house to send.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Thanks 11

2 minutes ago, Cam Mode said:

So in the future, you can load new build styles and we can stay in place?

My bet is that each "theme" will always only have 4 styles to choose from.  New themes will go to new areas because the surrounding landscaping will need to match the theme.

Patch had previously stated that if you truly want more options then it might be time to move on from the Linden Homes.  While many will be content to live in these forever, in many ways, they are still somewhat considered starter homes.

ETA:  Based on previous info from Quartz and Abnor about how the plots are laid out, they cannot easily just drop in another house style.  Their current green lego house is a combo of all houses to give them the overall outer dimensions to ensure that no matter what house is chosen, a tree branch will not end up  in the house.  If they dropped in another style, you could totally end up with a tree branch in your bedroom/kitchen/whatever-room.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• Moles
Just now, Cam Mode said:

So in the future, you can load new build styles and we can stay in place?

That's the idea.     Should we, at some point in the future, decide to add more styles in a particular theme (extra Traditional Houses or extra Houseboats) it's going to be simple enough to do.

There's no immediate plan to do that, but we wanted to leave the option open.

The other,  more immediate, benefit is that we can use the same scripts for all the different themes we have, or may in the future decide to have.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8

19 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

ETA:  Based on previous info from Quartz and Abnor about how the plots are laid out, they cannot easily just drop in another house style.  Their current green lego house is a combo of all houses to give them the overall outer dimensions to ensure that no matter what house is chosen, a tree branch will not end up  in the house.  If they dropped in another style, you could totally end up with a tree branch in your bedroom/kitchen/whatever-room.

I partly disagree with this. There are limits, but they could use a house with roughly the same footprint as one house and the height of another. Just as an example. There is not a point in making super big houses, as long as we have only 351 LI. And all the additions people make and sell for the houses. I never read a review that there is some greenery poking through.

I think a one story house with a larger footprint that Adams and Alderley, with bigger rooms, would be popular. They would fit in too. I had around my Winchester: 2 big pergolas, carport, porch over the entrance, and even a greenhouse.

The Continental I have now, has a huge wrap around porch on all 4 sides.

A new house could have bigger footprint, if it's one story. I bet on it.

The trees are smart made, they don't have lower branches. And the protected land around every parcel makes just the tip of the branches cross over the border.

Not that I think they will put more types of houses in the current theme... but they could.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

Just for the record (and in case any other scripters are interested) those big green parcel marker objects you may have seen on the regions we're working on record the parcel's uuid and its central point as a KVP key-value pair.    The house controller checks the UUID of the parcel 15 metres along its own positive x axis and records it, along with the parcel's centre (because it knows the UUID of the parcel with which it's associated, it can now use that to request the centre of the parcel from the KVP records).

When it receives an instruction from the dialogue menu to rez a new house, it reads the correct offset for whatever model of house has been ordered (stored in a list it has previously read from KVP), and then uses that, and its own rotation, to calculate the target location for the house's root prim, and sends the result to the server/rezzer along with the model of house to send.

I have literally no idea what any of that meant, but I'm a little flushed now.

Could just be hot flashes, though...

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I partly disagree with this. There are limits, but they could use a house with roughly the same footprint as one house and the height of another. Just as an example. There is not a point in making super big houses, as long as we have only 351 LI. And all the additions people make and sell for the houses. I never read a review that there is some greenery poking through.

I think a one story house with a larger footprint that Adams and Alderley, with bigger rooms, would be popular. They would fit in too. I had around my Winchester: 2 big pergolas, carport, porch over the entrance, and even a greenhouse.

The Continental I have now, has a huge wrap around porch on all 4 sides.

A new house could have bigger footprint, if it's one story. I bet on it.

The trees are smart made, they don't have lower branches. And the protected land around every parcel makes just the tip of the branches cross over the border.

Not that I think they will put more types of houses in the current theme... but they could.

They could do a different one story if ALL of their existing trees don't have any branches that low.  And in reality, they could even do another 2-story model as long as it fit under their current green lego piece.

But Patch has specifically said that if you want more options than already provided, then it might be time to move on to something else.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

But Patch has specifically said that if you want more options than already provided, then it might be time to move on to something else.

5 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

Should we, at some point in the future, decide to add more styles in a particular theme (extra Traditional Houses or extra Houseboats) it's going to be simple enough to do.

There's no immediate plan to do that, but we wanted to leave the option open.

I heard this exact thing directly from Patch. So you can't rule anything out. Who knows what the future will bring. It is encouraging that they built this new system to be flexible enough to allow for changes or additions in the future. And though I heard Patch say this a long time ago, I didn't feel at liberty to disclose that info but now that Quartz has commented I don't feel like I have to keep it under my hat.

I have noticed that the landscaping, trees specifically, really don't overlap the actual parcels much so maybe it wouldn't be an issue as long as they were to keep any new builds within the basic footprint of the combined shape they have now.

• Like 2

• Moles

17 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I heard this exact thing directly from Patch. So you can't rule anything out. Who knows what the future will bring. It is encouraging that they built this new system to be flexible enough to allow for changes or additions in the future. And though I heard Patch say this a long time ago, I didn't feel at liberty to disclose that info but now that Quartz has commented I don't feel like I have to keep it under my hat.

I have noticed that the landscaping, trees specifically, really don't overlap the actual parcels much so maybe it wouldn't be an issue as long as they were to keep any new builds within the basic footprint of the combined shape they have now.

Please don't read too much into what I said. 

I was asked a specific question about what the system can do, and I answered it.       That certainly doesn't mean there's any plan ever to offer more than 4 houses, but we could do if we wanted to, that's all. 

When designing the system, we tried to make it as flexible as possible, since the answer to so many questions about what it needed to be able to do was "we might want it to do that at some point in the future, but we can't know that until later".   We didn't decide, for example, to offer our own security orb until we were quite some way into the project, but when we did it was very easy to drop an extra button into the menu.   Similarly, quite late on in the QA process I was asked to re-order the buttons on the menus, which, because of our earlier decision to keep open as many options as possible, was something I could do in five minutes without having to update the menu script in every single house controller on the continent (which we can do, but it takes rather longer than 5 minutes!).

However, the fact we can do something doesn't necessarily mean we will ever decide to do it.   Certainly several times already (Abnor Mole describes one of them in the thread about Houseboat rotations) when we've come to look in detail at particular ideas that seemed initially attractive, they've turned out under closer examination not to be readily  practicable and to have all sorts of unforeseen consequences..  

So even though we can do something that seems, initially, a good idea doesn't mean that it's going to look anything like so simple or attractive after we've considered its wider implications.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 7

29 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Please don't read too much into what I said. 

I was asked a specific question about what the system can do, and I answered it.       That certainly doesn't mean there's any plan ever to offer more than 4 houses, but we could do if we wanted to, that's all. 

Oh I didn't mean to imply anything other than the system is flexible enough to allow for not only updating but also additions should LL decide to add more in the future. I've even said in another post previously that it doesn't make much sense to spend time making new homes for an existing theme while you all are still developing the new themes. Some have speculated that it's an emphatic no when anyone has suggested adding new styles to a theme. I just meant that while it's not likely to happen it's not out of the realm of possibility. And now I've heard that from both you and Patch. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Adumelial Rothstein said:

Ananoelle...do say, what IS THE TOPIC here? Do correct me??

(I think my feed picture is very fitting for the topic).

Here I'll post it again, with true Title corrected:

Waiting for Soon ~~~ Premium Linden Homes

If your pick was a smelly fish being waved around by a homeless angry guy screaming fraud, then sure... 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.