The latest Event "Gift" thing - Hang out a while

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I remember when event "gifts" started costing L$10 and we had a few discussions on whether or not it was right to call it a "gift" if you were going to charge L$10 for it, and we also discussed whether or not we'd actually pay that, especially if the item is unknown because there is no picture.

Well, today I finally got around to going to the latest ACCESS event and it seems it is their anniversary and most of the booths have gifts out.  However, about a dozen or so (maybe more, I didn't actually click on every one) of those gift boxes have a timer script in them that basically tells you that you have to hang out a while before getting your gift -- and said timer script doesn't even always work right. Here are two sets that I got when I clicked on boxes.  There was only about 5-6 seconds between my clicks that resulted in the final 2 messages of each box. 

image.png.48df3500e89ced6b87b2033903e79d93.png

image.png.062554bbed1aaecb347c279446213b25.png

There were other times where I was looking around, shopping and didn't get back to the box until a good a minute or so after the supposed time that I could get a gift and it also reset the timer.

Needless to say that I have now added a few more merchants to my list of "never shop at these stores".

• Like 9

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I remember when event "gifts" started costing L$10 and we had a few discussions on whether or not it was right to call it a "gift" if you were going to charge L$10 for it, and we also discussed whether or not we'd actually pay that, especially if the item is unknown because there is no picture.

Well, today I finally got around to going to the latest ACCESS event and it seems it is their anniversary and most of the booths have gifts out.  However, about a dozen or so (maybe more, I didn't actually click on every one) of those gift boxes have a timer script in them that basically tells you that you have to hang out a while before getting your gift -- and said timer script doesn't even always work right. Here are two sets that I got when I clicked on boxes.  There was only about 5-6 seconds between my clicks that resulted in the final 2 messages of each box. 

image.png.48df3500e89ced6b87b2033903e79d93.png

image.png.062554bbed1aaecb347c279446213b25.png

There were other times where I was looking around, shopping and didn't get back to the box until a good a minute or so after the supposed time that I could get a gift and it also reset the timer.

Needless to say that I have now added a few more merchants to my list of "never shop at these stores".

I have seen those somewhere (long ago) so not "new" but also (happily) NOT popular!        What were they thinking especially when Cosmo just gave away 80 gifts or so for 0 and 100 gifts coming up at Hop and Shop next week.  

Head shaking. 

OK. I went over and it does appear to work. I waited more than the length of time indicated WITHOUT MOVING (as I remembered that you had to be in close range to the one like this I remembered in my past) and then clicked again and got a gift. I tried another time to see if you would indeed get a "random" gift and got another gift. 

This is ALSO A GROUP gifting evnt (I don't think you mentioned that but it is). 

image.png.b69bf0810dab1000d72158f242b71088.png

In the case of Ricielli, the gifts were the same. 

Going to explore some now.  

• Like 2

Most of the timers did count down and work properly, but there were a couple that didn't, which made the whole 'hang out' concept even more frustrating.  I didn't even bother trying for a second gift on any of them to see if it would be different - I had "hung out" long enough.

Another issue with the "hang around" mentality is that this is a pretty mobbed event.  The people waiting to get in probably don't want everyone just hanging around waiting for timer scripts before they can move on to the next booth.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Most of the timers did count down and work properly, but there were a couple that didn't, which made the whole 'hang out' concept even more frustrating.  I didn't even bother clicking any of them to see if I would get a different give a second time.

Another issue with the "hang around" mentality is that this is a pretty mobbed event.  The people waiting to get in probably don't want everyone just hanging around waiting for timer scripts before they can move on to the next booth.

I am going around picking up things since I am there :D and a bunch in a row didn't make me wait at all, so that must be a "choice" by the participants ; the scripts are still event scripts. 

PS, I did find ONE that refused to deliver and just kept asking you to wait. Couldn't have used the gift anyway. MANY are very body specific.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

Just now, Chic Aeon said:

I am going around picking up things since I am there :D and a bunch in a row didn't make me wait at all, so that must be a "choice" by the participants ; the scripts are still event scripts. 

Yeah, out of the ones that I clicked on - not every booth - I only encountered that timer script about a dozen times or so.... Thankfully.

I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, but because the region is more dead, than alive, timers show everything, but the actual time left. At least it was like that during opening day and seeing it still has around 50 people there most of the time, I doubt anything has changed. Clicking the gift a few times in a row always got me what I wanted within 10-15s, when those 1-5% of "scripts run" did allow for that to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well, today I finally got around to going to the latest ACCESS event and it seems it is their anniversary and most of the booths have gifts out.  However, about a dozen or so (maybe more, I didn't actually click on every one) of those gift boxes have a timer script in them that basically tells you that you have to hang out a while before getting your gift -- and said timer script doesn't even always work right.

1_8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA.jpeg

• Like 5

I got most of them (albeit still unpack ones I got; lol); found 2 were no gifts no available from what I told was in local by gift, ignored the guy ones and rejected the Genus ones as I'm Catwa user though if honest I thought wasn't that bad a system and yes requires patience but don't most things in some aspect? 

In my (very own) experience, visiting those gift events is a waste of time. In some cases you don‘t know what is inside the gift box, in other cases you don‘t get what you expected. I have a huge library full of free stuff, which I never used. So i came to the conclusion to just browse the marketplace store and get the free demos of the nice items i found. If the demo meet my expectations, I am willing to buy good quality products (which I am sure to wear) for an acceptable price. Its not a freebie, but if you take all the waste of lifetime for the hunt of gifts into account, it is much cheaper ....  But of course, this is only my point of view ....

• Like 3

Strange - in my case i have whole wardrobes made only by those "crappy" gifts...

I understand not everyone is in a position to hand out tons of gifts but I am much more likely to shop from creators who's quality I know from gifts. From a marketing point those are better viewed as free samples rather than gifts.

On those price camp (that concept is not new) or dollarbie items... designers please make me want them or I will stay with the real free ones.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

much more likely to shop from creators who's quality I know from gifts.

All too often a creator will put up a group gift or freebie that isn't up to their usual quality (or they are new to creating for SL) but that's why it's free. Nothing wrong with that. 

I've seen places that had the crappiest gifts/freebies but excellent quality on those items set for sale and I've seen places that have excellent quality gifts/freebies while the items for sale are (sorry) just plain garbage. And I've seen everything in between.

What I'm saying is, you shouldn't always judge a book by its cover. In this case the book being the creator and the cover being the gift/freebie. Appearances can be deceiving.

I wouldn’t blame the shop owner for the timer thing. These events are out of control with the gimmicks. This was the first time I saw the timer group gift one. I hope it doesn’t become a thing.

I think I got 3 gifts while I was at that event and haven’t opened one of them yet. I’m just not into group gifts like that. To me 9/10 theirs “not quite good enough” items or some little Knick knack I’ll forget about. Do I really need a pair of chartreuse boots? Yes I do! But only if it’s a color in a fat pack!

I very, very, very rarely will pick up gifts because my experience for the most part is that at least 95% of the time I trash the gifts because they're just not something I can use or like. So for me as a shopper, it's not a good use of my time. I'd rather just buy something I want than pick up a box on the very slim chance I might actually like what's in the box. I really do appreciate it when a merchant puts a picture of the item or the item itself on display so I can decide if I want to pick it up. Same goes for hunts! 

Oh, and wait for a timer?????? You've got to be kidding!

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Oh, and wait for a timer?????? You've got to be kidding!

That is the part that just really got me.  When an event is mobbed, I have absolutely no desire to hang around any longer than I absolutely have to.  For many of those 'timer' gifts, I glanced at the store name and the items they were selling and if neither of those caught my eye, I skipped the timer part.

It is getting so that I keep fewer and fewer of the "gifts" from events these days.  It may be about time to just skip them all in the future.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is getting so that I keep fewer and fewer of the "gifts" from events these days.  It may be about time to just skip them all in the future.

Well there are some great hairs coming up at the Hop and Shop and I found some other items to keep as well. So at least look at my blog post when it opens LOL cause you might really want something that is there. Fighting the crowds the first few day? Not so much fun. 

Again PATIENCE is a virtue. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I wasn’t hanging out there either; that’s why I ended up with three. I only grabbed ones from the creators I thought would be decent. And if the timer wasn’t up by the time I got to another one I might’ve wanted? Oh well.... not going back.

Edited by janetosilio
  • Like 2

I usually don't even bother with gifts or gimmicks anymore when it comes to events..I'll just look on the Seraphim site to see what's there..If there is anything i want there, I'll just port there grab my stuff and I'm out of there and off to the next one..

I have so many gifts that are unopened in my inventory that they feel like the collection of freebies I got when I first came to SL hehehehe

• Like 1

Since opened or unpacked them; grand total kept: 6. :D So in two minds whether it was actually worth my time clicking but was planning to attend the event anyways as was fat pack of nails I wanted! :) 

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well there are some great hairs coming up at the Hop and Shop and I found some other items to keep as well. So at least look at my blog post when it opens LOL cause you might really want something that is there. Fighting the crowds the first few day? Not so much fun. 

It's not always about PATIENCE. Some of us literally do not have the time to devote to squatting at an event waiting for a gift to drop. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well, the annual Hop and Shop is one of my favorite events and it usually does produce quite a few decent gifts, so I'll definitely not be skipping that one.  Though, like last year, I'll probably wait until the last few day before hopping over, so as to avoid the mobs.  

I typically don't go to any event within the first week.  I'm not sure how or why I ended up at Access so early, but since I got right in, yet noticed all sorts of folks at the border, I figured I'd go ahead and stay and check it out.

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

It's not always about PATIENCE. Some of us literally do not have the time to devote to squatting at an event waiting for a gift to drop. 

I think that particular mention of PATIENCE was more about how popular the Hop and Shop is in the first week or so.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I think that particular mention of PATIENCE was more about how popular the Hop and Shop is in the first week or so.

Ah... coming on the heels of what you and Blush were saying about timers, I assumed that was still the topic being discussed. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.