The latest Event "Gift" thing - Hang out a while

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The timed gift thing appears at Man Cave now, which is apparently having an anniversary and maybe half the kiosks have gifts out, of which maybe half have the timer. (Another 10% or so of the kiosks have the object they're supposed to stock with a gift, just hanging around unstocked, which is confusing at first.) I can't really detect any relationship between having the timer and there being multiple gifts selected at random. Some, maybe? But some have the timer with only one gift inside. And usually waiting for the timer to expire does enable the gift on the next touch, but sometimes the timer just restarts again, and it doesn't seem to reliably depend on the timeliness of the post-expiration touch.

All of which is to say it's so buggy and unpredictable (at least under script lag in a busy event sim) that it's not clear to me why it even exists. As others mention, it doesn't make sense to stall visitors to boost traffic when the region is full anyway, so they must be trying to get some other benefit. Maybe they don't want folks to just sweep through grabbing every gift without looking at the items for sale -- and given how slowly textures load at this event, the delay waiting to see what's for sale is usually longer than the gift timer. I remember during the holidays this particular event dumped all the merchants' gifts in a big pile in the middle of the build, so there was no association between the gift and the merchant's kiosk; they may have wanted to improve on that.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

it doesn't make sense to stall visitors to boost traffic when the region is full anyway, so they must be trying to get some other benefit.

i think it might be the traffic... more and more people shop by Seraphim or other websites, pick your thing, tp in, buy and go ... too short at the event to let the traffic timer start counting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

This is marketing at its worst. I personally will NOT go to any event that lets their merchants use these timers. Event coordinators need to nip this in the bud or suffer the consequences.

It probably won’t stop me from going, but it’s definitely not going to keep me there either.

• Like 2

The timer thing is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, I look at Seraphim first (usually), then I TP in, cam through all the booths, grab demos, and get out ASAP so others can get in. When I'm ready to buy, I go back, grab the few things I want as quickly as possible and get the hell out. I shop alone so I'm not distracted, I hide everyone, and consider myself a pro at speed shopping (also leads to more impulse buying).

Attempting to force me to stay longer just means I'm not going to buy whatever product it is that the booth is selling just out of annoyance even if it's something I absolutely love (probably maybe). It's absolutely going to leave me with a less-than-stellar impression of the merchant and I'll remember it when looking at future purchases as well. 

This is essentially punishing people who try to get in and out of busy events as quickly as possible to let others in and will result in fewer purchases because they'll have fewer shoppers.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2019 at 12:10 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Well there are some great hairs coming up at the Hop and Shop and I found some other items to keep as well. So at least look at my blog post when it opens LOL cause you might really want something that is there. Fighting the crowds the first few day? Not so much fun. 

Again PATIENCE is a virtue. 

You have a blog!  You should put this info in a tag line.  I love fashion blogs and some of my old faves are not active anymore so I'm especially excited to find a new one!

1 minute ago, kali Wylder said:

You have a blog!  You should put this info in a tag line.  I love fashion blogs and some of my old faves are not active anymore so I'm especially excited to find a new one!

Eleven years, 5000 plus posts.  Google loves me. You can find it if you want to.  I am not a big fan of advertising in the tag lines :D.     

5 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Eleven years, 5000 plus posts.  Google loves me. You can find it if you want to.  I am not a big fan of advertising in the tag lines :D.     

I did and of course that's up to you. I didn't mean you should put it in a tag line just for me, but just that this was valuable info for clueless peeps(like me) and newbies.

Edited by kali Wylder
redundant
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.