Genus and the Skinnery mismatch

Zeta Vandyke

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After seeing so many lovely pictures of the Genus heads, I got one myself too, well, on my alt that desperately needed a bento upgrade. I have an issue though I hope others with their head in combination with their skin applier might have experience with.

I got one of their skins, May I believe it was called (not at home now) and in their store they mention that for the body applier you need to get the Skinnery applier. So thats what I did. Got a champagne color skin at Genus, and the champagne colored body applier at the Skinnery.

My problem now is that they are different in tone. The body applied skin is paler compared to the head. Now it looks like someone who walked in the sun all day with just her head uncovered. I don't have the best screenshot available here (bit of a pale windlight), but this shows a bit what I mean. It doesn't really matter what light, windlight or other graphic settings I use, the two just don't feel like a matching pair.

I do not mind a little neck seam, but this color difference is a bit of a disappointment to a really lovely head/skin set.

So, am I doing something wrong with maybe certain HUD settings for the head, is this an issue known and have to live with it (or buy a different brand skins), any suggestions? (did not put it up with the creator yet, not sure if that would be Genus or the Skinnery). The body is a Maitreya one.

Knipsel.PNG

Edited by Zeta Vandyke
spelling

Neph has a skin from them, in the snow tone, and it matches fine. Check your Genus HUD and make sure that you haven't applied any tint to the skin layer?

• Thanks 1

This was a big issue, especially with earlier releases. I’m at work so can’t verify, but there should be an attachment called ‘neck fix’ in with the head... I have used that on occasion with certain skins. I think there is even a separate neck fix applier on the HUD, but I could be misremembering. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Neph has a skin from them, in the snow tone, and it matches fine. Check your Genus HUD and make sure that you haven't applied any tint to the skin layer?

Will check this, the HUD has quite some options i did not right away understand (or put time in to understand). I put the head on and applied the skin out of the box.

5 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Maybe try demos of other tones and see what matches?

Good idea, will try this. Can also buy a demo skin in the skin tones that come with the default skin with the head, see if they match.

1 hour ago, Eva Knoller said:

I’m at work so can’t verify, but there should be an attachment called ‘neck fix’ in with the head... I have used that on occasion with certain skins. I think there is even a separate neck fix applier on the HUD, but I could be misremembering. 

I expect it not to be an issue with the skin Genus sells them self in their store and the body applier they designed it for (My guess is The Skinnery designed the actual skin for Genus). The neckfix does a job of hiding the seam, but the color mismatch remains a fact. If its a matter of getting a new skin, this an option and would mean that's over 1k L$ down drain, just would find it quite bad for a brand to keep their skins up for sale (for their head you just spend 5.5k on) if this is a known issue with them. Update them or stop selling (or at a major discount and a warning), but selling skins that mismatch is bad practice.

• Like 1

I have a suspicion that this is actually a more general issue with The Skinnery skins. I'm using both head and body appliers from The Skinnery: the neck join is pretty good, overall, in the sense that the seam very rarely shows. But there definitely is a discernible difference in the shading of the body and the neck, even though both appliers are from the same store, and in the same shade (in my case, honey). I also have appliers in toffee for both head and body: I should check to see how if the same issue arises there.

You can see it in a few of my pics. It's just in the neck area, and it's a little like they decided to add a bit of shadowing under the chin. It's more or less subtle, depending on the light; mostly, it doesn't bother me too much, but it's certainly there.

Really, You'd Be So Much Happier If You'd Just Agree with Me.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Thanks 1

My favourite Tres Beau skin combo looks similar at the neck seam. You could try taking the L (lightness? luminance?) slider down a few points on the Lara HUD. A little goes a long way. Of course this does darken the body ever so slightly, but I don’t find it comes across that way under everyday lighting conditions. 

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've just noticed the same thing in two pics Taya just posted (not to make her feel self-conscious!). I'm not sure what appliers or head she's using, though.

The Skinnery on Maitreya/Lelutka - and now you made me notice it :P;)

Edited by Angelina String
  • Like 1

Seems to be a "The Skinnery" thing, body applier being a slight bit paler than face applier. Mainly notice it when looking to the side of the face, less at the front. Bit odd they do not update their appliers to fix it, but its not that big of a deal I guess. I am a bit of a nitpick when it comes to such details :)

I've been using nothing other than The Skinnery in Champagne and Honey since I started posting here, and I cannot say that I've paid any attention to the neck until now :)

I've always thought of that darker color under the skin as a baked in shadow like on other parts of the body/head - in general I think the body skin matches my head very well, the overall tone and the shadowing as well...

Snapshot_1125_cr.thumb.jpg.eeed9c12c4a94aee5d76354dc4e1ca4a.jpg

Edited by Angelina String
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Seems to be a "The Skinnery" thing, body applier being a slight bit paler than face applier. Mainly notice it when looking to the side of the face, less at the front. Bit odd they do not update their appliers to fix it, but its not that big of a deal I guess. I am a bit of a nitpick when it comes to such details :)

I wish it was just the skinnery. There's plenty of other skin makers who has it the same, including big ones. Actually sometimes even skins in exactly same tone (and close enough creation dates on top of that) do vary a lot, where one has it almost perfect and other has a very obvious line. In case of body appliers that come in two parts, like "sessions", there's often a rather noticeable line between lower and upper part of the body (at least on most pale skin tones, not sure about darker ones, never tried). Had to give up on one very good looking skin recently because of this issue.

I've noticing the slight neck seam with The Skinnery head and body appliers too. It looks like the neck is a touch darker than the body where they connect. I've made sure that the neck sizes are the same on head and body, but I can still see the seam especially in higher graphic setting. I hope the creator would update the body skin to match them better. 

My Skinnery body and head appliers match perfectly at the neck. I don't use any special windlight to make them match either. I keep my graphic settings pretty high as well. 

But to be realistic .. lets think about RL for a moment unless a woman is going completely without makeup her cheeks typically don't match her upper chest - lower neck either. And there are shadows that naturally fall from the chin. So if you're not taking that into consideration perhaps you might be happier with the results if you do. Unless you're wanting a comic book character that's been colored in with just one color crayon. :) If that comes across snarky, I don't mean it to. I'm just saying unless there's a pronounced difference at the neck join and not a subtle nuance of color/shading then I'd just go with it.

My complaint is not the neck seam at all. Many heads/skins have that, sometimes a fix "works", either the Maitreya one, or one included. Don't even think its a skin problem, more a mesh body parts fact since the heads will have to be somewhat general for fitting on different bodies it will never be the perfect fit.

Its more the overall tone difference that bugged me. If you look at my picture in here, the face is more "gold/tanned" than the rest of the body. Not just at the seam but the whole body. 

Its not bothering me as much as when I first noticed (probably got used to it already) and its more visible from sideview of the fave than front view of the face. Maybe its just in combination with Genus, never used Skinnery before. Also find that when I cover up the neck seam (place something over the picture) the difference is less obvious too. So even if the tone difference is still the same, the neck seam does make it more noticeable.

• 1 year later...

Necro thread but I'll add...

I moved away from Skinnery because I couldn't get a good enough match. With Lara 5.3 and BoM, right now, Pumec and ItGirls both give a decent match, with MILA also in the running.

Bear in mind though that the Genus neck isn't as good as Lelu Evolution. I live in hope because Genus is my long term favourite.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.