Fixed Landing Points ☠ ☠ ☠

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1876 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

30 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You think the things I pointed out aren't reasonable? 

What galaxy did you say you live in?

They're not using the objective variant of "reasonable" here .... something that sadly many end up doing.

These days, "reasonable" is purely subjective.

• Like 1

You people bother trying to move? We can move our cameras through walls instantly and lag-free! I haven't encountered any vendor that has a distance limit either, unless it's one of those freebie givers.

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

They're not using the objective variant of "reasonable" here .... something that sadly many end up doing.

That's because "what is reasonable" is very subjective. There is no true "objective reasonableness" because humans are not objective (nor often reasonable). I still tried to look up what "objectively reasonable" meant, but all I could find was a court case where the judges determined that "objective reasonableness has to be determined on a case-by-case basis." Nice.

It's more because most humans have no concept whatsoever for being objectively reasonable, Wulfie. 

Yes, it is rather subjective but only because most cannot see past their own nose.

To put it another way: You just wasted your own time trying to find a definition for a concept that the vast majority either do not comprehend whatsoever or - as is far more often the case - only have a loose comprehension for.

As an out of Second Life example/question: Do you find it reasonable to punish those who take advantage of others? How about those who kill simply because they want to/enjoy it - is it reasonable to punish them?

The type of punishment in this instance does not matter much.

6 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

So it's about money and it's about losing your business/location altogether, if there would not be a fixed landing point?

If you would disable the landing point, how certain are you that you would see a drop in income? What if it actually increases income, including ad revenues? Or at least does not make any difference at all? After all, there are many preconceptions out there, marketing-wise. And many marketing mechanisms are counter-intuitive.

Has anyone tried? Or would they be willing to try for a few months?

Lets say you want to advertise your product on my sim. I offer you a choice between two locations where I have advertising boards.

Location 1 is where everyone landing on my sim start and wait to be rezzed, and orient themselves

Location 2 is a random place on the sim, where people may or may not walk past.

What location will you pick?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

As an out of Second Life example/question: Do you find it reasonable to punish those who take advantage of others? How about those who kill simply because they want to/enjoy it - is it reasonable to punish them?

I can answer both of these questions either way, but it seems to me that you are literally unreasonable so I'll spare the thread. You can PM me if you really wanna have this convo.

Edit: Thanks for proving me correct about you being unreasonable and declining my invitation to have the conversation.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

REASONABLE:

My desire to do what I want to do.

UNREASONABLE (1):

Your stopping me from doing what I want to do.

UNREASONABLE (2):

Your doing what I don't want you to.

What's so hard about that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I can answer both of these questions either way, but it seems to me that you are literally unreasonable so I'll spare the thread. You can PM me if you really wanna have this convo.

That's nice.

Wrong but nice.

5 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

REASONABLE:

My desire to do what I want to do.

UNREASONABLE (1):

Your stopping me from doing what I want to do.

UNREASONABLE (2):

Your doing what I don't want you to.

What's so hard about that?

Ah yes, showing the way most people think ....

I understand quite well, thank you.

Now to both of you: If you're not willing whatsoever to listen or to understand ... you're frankly wasting time.

Next time just post some random meme - it's be just as "meaningful" as your present responses.

On 5/5/2019 at 12:21 PM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Are there any other reasons to use fixed landing points which will soften my despair? Or is it reasonable to just call upon all store owners to uncheck that cursed feature?

The only use I've seen where I felt it worked are maze sims (and similar puzzle sims). They often turn off fly and set a landing point at the start. If you don't want to do a maze, you're not going to visit a maze, so that's not really a problem.

Everywhere else, it's a nightmare, especially when it goes with no fly. I explore a lot and I walk most of the time. Teleport and fly are tools for getting out when I get stuck. They also mean I can mark how far I got in a sim and come back later. I do start to avoid sims on hunts and the like if they have those settings and are difficult to navigate, because it simply isn't fun. It's one of those things where sim owners make it hard for most visitors for the sake of a minority that might cause issues.

Edited by Polenth Yue

2 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

sim owners make it hard for most visitors for the sake of a minority that might cause issues.

Most sim owners do this because they have experiences in the past with the very ones who "might cause issues". People usually prefer to avoid drama and griefing, not invite it. There will always be those who will take advantage of those who don't do what ever is necessary to prevent the ones who "might cause issues" from actually causing issues. It only takes one bad apple to rot the whole barrel.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Most sim owners do this because they have experiences in the past with the very ones who "might cause issues". People usually prefer to avoid drama and griefing, not invite it. There will always be those who will take advantage of those who don't do what ever is necessary to prevent the ones who "might cause issues" from actually causing issues. It only takes one bad apple to rot the whole barrel.

A griefer might be a negative experience too, but they're usually chat/particle spamming, so the settings in question do diddly for that. They're also so many times rarer than getting stuck in a rock that I'd rather settings were for the everyday experience. You don't have to agree, but that's how it's been for me.

Edited by Polenth Yue

1 hour ago, Polenth Yue said:

A griefer might be a negative experience too, but they're usually chat/particle spamming, so the settings in question do diddly for that. They're also so many times rarer than getting stuck in a rock that I'd rather settings were for the everyday experience. You don't have to agree, but that's how it's been for me.

Might? There is no "might" to it. Griefers are negative experiences. Turning the tables on the griefer or just ignoring it and eject/ban/blocking do not change that fact.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Prevention is the ideal form of defense.

There is a fixed landing point set on one of the Seychelles islands that sends you to their bedroom, it takes a few minutes to extricate yourself from their maze like home. At least they haven't coupled it with an eject orb. I can't help but wonder what they are thinking of with the setting? 

2 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

There is a fixed landing point set on one of the Seychelles islands that sends you to their bedroom, it takes a few minutes to extricate yourself from their maze like home. At least they haven't coupled it with an eject orb. I can't help but wonder what they are thinking of with the setting? 

Cuts down on the Hi, drinks, meal, foreplay?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Ok, if I really wanted to advertise, I would pick a fixed landing point.

What made you change your mind?  Yesterday you said, someone should find out, if the current strategies are right or wrong about where to place ads and the landing point. 
And now you just would choose what you questioned 24 hours ago?

42 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

What made you change your mind?

Nothing. I didn't. I don't want to advertise. It's an 'if' thing, as in 'if I were evil'. In the real, non-hypothetical world, I hate ads. They make everything ugly. So, ads, and fixed landing points for ads. Nope.

I also have an ad blocker.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Nothing. I didn't. I don't want to advertise. It's an 'if' thing, as in 'if I were evil'. In the real, non-hypothetical world, I hate ads. They make everything ugly. So, ads, and fixed landing points for ads. Nope.

You would choose the fixed landing point, IF you would set up ads. I got it.
But you need to understand, others do set up ads in the non-hypothetical world. And for them its not a "IF thing", so they do what works best, even if you dont like it.

I also have an ad blocker in my browser, and on my public parcel i dont have any ads at all.

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

No, I just didn't want to answer a question that was heavily based on prejudice.

What are you talking about? Do you even know? You basically tossed everything I said out with the bath water and then accused me of being prejudiced when I questioned you about it. Yet, my question was heavily prejudiced. Right. I don't play mind games. *plonk*

On 5/5/2019 at 6:21 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I can only think of one reason:

"Thou shalt walk a lengthy and patient walk though and gaze and wonder upon my meticulously crafted landscape and store on thy quest for reaching that vendor machine and give me L$ L$ L$ whether thou likest it or not. And thou shalt do it again, like Sisyphus, whenever thou accidentally double-clicketh on stuff."

Are there any other reasons to use fixed landing points which will soften my despair? Or is it reasonable to just call upon all store owners to uncheck that cursed feature?

There are other reasons. I have a fixed landing point so that someone can easily get a shopping HUD there to more easily navigate my overgrown store. Plus, I have info on sales and new releases there. It's just an orientation spot.

However my links on the MP do go to each individual item for sale so that a customer can easily find what they're looking for.

On 5/6/2019 at 5:05 PM, Selene Gregoire said:
On 5/6/2019 at 1:31 PM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Now there's a reasonable application, imho.

You think the things I pointed out aren't reasonable? 

What galaxy did you say you live in?

I didn't think that at all. Stop presuming what I think and then ask what galaxy I live in, mind game-wise.

I'm going to block you now, so you never have to bother arguing with me again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1876 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.