"Linden Dollar assessment"?

coreyfaure

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

45 minutes ago, StephanieBell said:

if you click through to the profile page that bit of text is not on the text of the profile.

Not sure what that means in technical terms but I know something is wrong there.

This is just what happens because of how pages are cached. The search results page is showing an old version of what was in the profile contents.

• Thanks 1

Ive pulled all my gacha listings, how do we know when the culprit is caught and it's safe to put the listings back on? 

While I understand that LL can't discuss particulars of each case, will they be able to tell us when their is a resolution or when it is safe to relist?

49 minutes ago, connorboy26 said:

So it was hacked a while ago?

If you go to the profile through the web search, and look at the feed tab, it says that his display name was changed 9 hours ago and changed back changed back 6 hours ago.

Edited by Samara Sharkfin
Edit: removed the implications
  • Like 1

While I understand peoples frustrations that this is happening, I feel I also should remind people about naming and shaming on the forums.  This guy has not been proven to have done anything wrong and could be entirely innocent.   I don't mean to sound like a mod but well... you know

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

While I understand peoples frustrations that this is happening, I feel I also should remind people about naming and shaming on the forums.  This guy has not been proven to have done anything wrong and could be entirely innocent.   I don't mean to sound like a mod but well... you know

At the rate things are going I think its appropriate to give a heads up. We are not being told if it is still happening and this person was immediately suspicious by their profile. So if it saves another seller then it is a good thing. We are not being told anything but keep getting our emails to say we lost another 10K, another 40K.... so if an account looks suspicious, i think its fair to warn others since LL isn't doing anything to protect us at this point. At least those with inworld stores can also block them from land. 

Edited by connorboy26

I wasn't aware of one of those transactions since it wasn't even mailed.

f811465b8eb80d4733f3f4bbbe22f101.png
https://gyazo.com/f811465b8eb80d4733f3f4bbbe22f101

Again very expensive and retired sets are gone. Ok what's my fault? Why am I punished again?

We have removed the L$ 1234 that was sent on 1/26/2017.
We have removed the L$5,699 that was sent on February 7, 2017.
We have removed the L$ 16,149 that was sent on 2/8/2017.
We have removed the L$ [45596] that was sent on [3/17/2017].
We have removed the L$ [1424] that was sent on [4-2-2017].
We have removed the L$2184  that was sent on March 29
We have removed the L$1424 that was sent on Oct 4, 2017
We have removed the L$ 24508 that was sent on 2018-04-14 (this one was not even gifted to anyone else)

This is said to me on 2017, 30th Jan:
"Pursuant to Section 4.5 of the Second Life Terms of Service, the Linden Dollars received by your account are now void and must be removed. Accordingly, we have assessed the Linden Dollars against your account, and that's why you seen this change reflected in your Linden Dollar balance.

We understand the fraudulent Linden Dollars were used to purchase item(s) from your store. As stated in our Privacy Policy, we are unable to discuss another person’s account. While we cannot return the items to you, we can assure you every measure has been taken to secure the accounts and reduce the impact of this fraudulent transaction."

• Sad 1

Allowing sellers to disable the buy as a gift option will be the best things LL can do to restore confidence immediately. There is no reason for a transferable item to be bought as a gift so the legitimate buyers wont get hurt nor will the resellers, win-win. It seems that most of these fraudulent cases are using 'the gifting scam model' and this should stop the immediate bleeding. After that LL can start looking into two factor authentication for buying Linden dollars, especially since it has pretty much become the norm online. We should expect that to take a bit of time to implement. Lastly Linden Labs earns a fee from the Marketplace. The Marketplace is a platform where we expect a certain amount of asset protection. You can't take fees and then not handle fraudulent activity. Paypal and the like all have to deal with this. so as much as it will be terribly time consuming for LL since they failed to protect those assets it is incumbent on them to track down those objects and get them back to the original seller (just like they track down the Linden dollars), If 'stuff' wasn't valuable LL wouldn't base their business model heavily on MP fees.  And if LL won't track the items down why don't they do the honorable thing of taking the loss themselves for failing in their professional duty. This is a class action suit waiting to happen. TOS won't protect LL in a US claims court because they clearly new about the problem at least a year ago and failed to warn us. The fact that LL takes their 10% fee even when a Linden Adjustment occurs  will definitely be considered fraud. The gacha industry in SL is already a tough one and if LL can't give us peace of mind then they might start to see their own bottom line severely compromised  as we all take the necessary steps to protect ourselves which will not include selling on the MP.  LL left an exploitable hole and guess what criminal elements, as per usual, finally found it and are exploiting it to the max before it gets resolved. Shame on LL who recently increased MP fees to 10% what has that extra increase got us?   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, GrandDukeDylan Rothmoor said:

Allowing sellers to disable the buy as a gift option will be the best things LL can do to restore confidence immediately. There is no reason for a transferable item to be bought as a gift so the legitimate buyers wont get hurt nor will the resellers, win-win.

I have / had gacha items on my MP wishlist and have been gifted some of those items for Christmas in the past.  Yes, the person could have bought the item and then gifted it directly - just one more step in process.  However, if Joe Blow got his account hacked and the hacker couldn't gift directly from the MP, all the hacker needs to do is buy all of the gacha stuff and then when logged in as Joe Blow, transfer the various items to whatever avatars the hacker wishes.  I don't know that disallowing the gifting of transferable items is going to actually solve this type of crime.

However, LL does have records of every single transaction that happens in SL, whether inworld or via the MP.  It could likely take quite a bit of manual work to trace the items down and return them -- usually because with these type of things, items and/or money tend to shuffle through quite a few accounts before someone ultimately tries to take the money out of SL - but it should still be possible.  Ultimately, they need some sort of automated/semi-automated method to do all of that in the background, after LL has confirmed that some merchant needs items restored.

• Like 1

I've lost 16k in merchandise in the last two days. I absolutely agree with the seller having the ability to toggle 'add as a gift' themselves. It would be a very easy fix from LL. I, too, am considering unlisting my store (6000 items) until they figure out a way to not punish those of us selling no-copy items such as gacha. Clearly does not bode well for me financially, but neither does losing irreplaceable items that I spent money to get myself. Disgusting. Nothing worse than a thief. Thank you @StephanieBell for starting the JIRA. We just need to make sure the the right 'Powers That Be' get the message at LL. 

Edited by Tristan Careless

14 minutes ago, OxfordLennox said:

LOL she came here too? She does have many ideas if any of those are useful: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/402231-removal-of-gift-to-on-large-ticket-or-no-copy-items/

The only solution they actually presented on that thread is the insurance protection proposal, which is interesting.

I just wonder if LL would even consider it seeing as they have yet to even offer 2FA.

At this time while this problem gives nuts, it also gives me more names to focus. Some resellers has got the sets cheaper than me, i mean the stolen ones. They are sneaky, silent and still adding stuff. Nothing went from those? Or they don't care since they know the way to duplicate them and adding the stolen content again and again? Is this a coincidence, or am i being paranoid?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OxfordLennox said:

At this time while this problem gives nuts, it also gives me more names to focus. Some resellers has got the sets cheaper than me, i mean the stolen ones. They are sneaky, silent and still adding stuff. Nothing went from those? Or they don't care since they know the way to duplicate them and adding the stolen content again and again? Is this a coincidence, or am i being paranoid?

There are plenty of legitimate sellers that sell low and are goods "won" at the original gachas. When I play for something I sell the things that I didn't want at cost most of the time unless it is a rare. So just because it is cheaper it doesn't mean it is STOLEN as you infer.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.