So I just found out about Sansar

Supersatan3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, Super.  No, not a lot of SL'ers use Sansar regularly.  While you can access Sansar from a regular PC, it's really designed to be used with a VR setup.  Plus, as you found from your foray into merchandise, it is designed to appeal to a different user base.  A much more affluent one, apparently.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Supersatan3 said:

Hai Guyz.

So I met a "Lucy Linden" at a newby hub yesterday, she had a link in her profile. I downloaded Sansar, and was annoyed that I couldn't cam around like I could in SL. Also, when I tried shopping for men's clothes, A single top was 1USD. Anyone else on Sansar?

Posting in the SANSAR section  of this forum would likely get you more input.

That was LACEY LINDEN that you met I bet -- but maybe there is a "Lucy".

You can cam around but not in the same manner.  The experience owner also has the option of NOT letting you cam, but I am betting that you just didn't figure out how. 

It is a DIFFERENT platform with different rules. It takes some time to learn the differences.

While Sansar was originally designed for VR there are more Desktop users now than VR folks so it works fine for both. I don't have any VR gear. Most creators work in Desktop even if they visit in VR .

There are many shirts in SL that are also $1US :D. There are also TONS of free items on the Store so you should be able to easily find what you want there. There are also plenty of inexpensive things. You just need to shop a little more.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

it is designed to appeal to a different user base.  A much more affluent one, apparently.

Or maybe it appeals to a poorer user base...one that can afford the one-off 350 bucks for a headset, but can't afford 300 usd every month to own a decent sized piece land in SL...

* because land is free in Sansar…...HUGE amounts of land..

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I have dabbled with Sansar, but I use my laptop in my living room and whenever I want to use VR I have to move furniture around, calibrate my walking area and disturb everyone else that wants to use this room.  Not to mention, every time I put on the goggles I have others that want to join in on the experience so I end up sharing and never really get a chance to fully enjoy it.  A couple of days ago I tried it in desktop mode, and it was pretty good.  I'll probably log into it later on today, to experiment around with for an hour or two.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

While you can access Sansar from a regular PC, it's really designed to be used with a VR setup.  Plus, as you found from your foray into merchandise, it is designed to appeal to a different user base.  A much more affluent one, apparently.

Sansar has always been designed to be used with both, VR and desktop, much to the annoyance of a few who wish LL would focus solely on VR. I've taken a break from Sansar but in the two years prior to my break, I always used desktop. I never really seriously considered buying a VR setup because I know I'd end up green in the face cause I can't even do RL 3d movies. I never felt as though I was missing out on anything in Sansar using desktop.

As Chic mentioned there are tons and tons of free products in the Sansar store. Plus the fact that you don't really have to spend any money to use Sansar or to create your own experiences unless you want to. I've yet to spend $1.00 in Sansar, and yet I have made money and cashed out to RL. If you have any desire to learn 3D modeling Sansar is the perfect platform because you can upload all day long and it won't cost you a penny.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WillowTenage said:

calibrate my walking area and disturb everyone else that wants to use this room.  Not to mention, every time I put on the goggles I have others that want to join in on the experience

You walk around in those things...I'm impressed! I do stand now, and conquer musical elements attacking me, but if I walked or jumped around I fear crashing into RL furniture...  :)

I had the most fun of times this past holiday season, watching the astonishment & hearing the squeals of VR-virgin users when I introduced them to VR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I keep holding out for higher resolution and lower prices.

Oculus - S is coming (with higher resolution than the Oculus Rift). The world is a bit blurry with smaller items using first generation headsets. But, as I mentioned in the other thread, the huge size we can make certain items within VR can make up for the low res even now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played Sansar a bit. I wanted to give it a fair shake. I didn't like it. I mean, yeah the graphics (aside from the avatar models) are nice and the user interface is sleek but to me, it just feels like a tech demo and not what they desperately wanted to be the next big thing. I will say I don't feel like Sansar was ever met to overtake SL or even intersect with its userbase. If it was then at least to me it doesn't feel like it. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 11:11 AM, Luna Bliss said:

Or maybe it appeals to a poorer user base...one that can afford the one-off 350 bucks for a headset, but can't afford 300 usd every month to own a decent sized piece land in SL...

I think I'm gonna start a thread called "building small"  for people to show of what they can accomplish with modest sized parcels.  One doesn't have to throw away $350 US a month to have a satisfactory land owning experience.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I think I'm gonna start a thread called "building small"  for people to show of what they can accomplish with modest sized parcels.  One doesn't have to throw away $350 US a month to have a satisfactory land owning experience.

Using prims, scuplties, or mesh?

33 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, Luna Bliss said:

I agree, to a point -- we can do so much more than we imagine if we utilize a small parcel wisely. Wasn't Penny demonstrating how to better accomplish this? I meant to check out her builds but never got around to it. But yes, this does sound like a needed thread and one to be bumped from time to time.
But, I'm afraid this would not be a satisfactory experience for me and others like me -- those who love the wide views, the mountains and waterfalls in the distance -- a sense of longing to be nearly overcome by the vastness of the wilderness.

On 2/17/2019 at 4:44 AM, Supersatan3 said:

I downloaded Sansar, and was annoyed that I couldn't cam around like I could in SL.

I had expected by now the list of things that make Sansar totally unappealing to me would have decreased but nope, the list just keeps getting longer.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Comparing SL to Sansar is a bit like comparing...

ummm...

like comparing two things that are so different they can't be compared.

actually i thought they liked comparing sansar to RL... those long vistas, distant waterfalls, feeling totally overwhelmed by the scenery....

naw still no comparison... I'll just hop in my car and experience it in RL.

Just imagine in a few years though... hey kids we aren't gonna go on a trip out west, i got us some vr headsets, we'll just do a virtual tour instead....

ummmm.... no

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Just imagine in a few years though... hey kids we aren't gonna go on a trip out west, i got us some vr headsets, we'll just do a virtual tour instead....

ummmm.... no

Oh, it'll happen.  I mean, just look at the progression.  First there was actual, in person experience.  Then, there were movies.  Better action, better vistas, and there was a music score, too.  People watched movies instead of going somewhere to experience it.  (Oh, not entirely, of course.  But there was some substitution.)  Then we got big screen TVs, surround sound, and Ultra High Def video.  Now instead of going out to the movies, we wait for it to come on Netflix and stay home to watch it.  (Again, not entirely.  We still go to the movies, just not as much).  Next, we'll have VR.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:52 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

actually i thought they liked comparing sansar to RL... those long vistas, distant waterfalls, feeling totally overwhelmed by the scenery....

naw still no comparison... I'll just hop in my car and experience it in RL.

ummmm.... no

Artists are always comparing RL & SL when they create, albeit sometimes on more of an unconscious level. But comparing them does not imply substituting one over the other as you repeatedly suggest.

Appreciating nature in SL can help one appeciate nature in RL because, due to more intense focus, aspects of nature in both worlds become more pronounced. RL & SL feed off each other, most especially in the creative process within SL.
Following your logic though, I could ask you why you cybersex or create a home within SL when you could do that in RL. Aren't you concerned that these activities in SL could substitute RL ones? And, why do you do these things within SL when you could do them in RL instead?

43 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Artists are always comparing RL & SL when they create, albeit sometimes on more of an unconscious level. But comparing them does not imply substituting one over the other as you repeatedly suggest.

Appreciating nature in SL can help one appeciate nature in RL because, due to more intense focus, aspects of nature in both worlds become more pronounced. RL & SL feed off each other, most especially in the creative process within SL.
Following your logic though, I could ask you why you cybersex or create a home within SL when you could do that in RL. Aren't you concerned that these activities in SL could substitute RL ones? And, why do you do these things within SL when you could do them in RL instead?

Fantasies played out in SL are much safer than in RL and if you really immerse yourself in the experience, it can be quite intense, and seem quite real.

As for a walk in the wood in RL vs SL , or enjoying a mountain vista, I'll take RL every time.

What I can do in RL, I do in RL, what I can't do in RL, I do in SL.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

What I can do in RL, I do in RL, what I can't do in RL, I do in SL.

That's the point, isn't it? You seem to assume that just because YOU can do something in RL means everyone should be able to, but that's not the case. I personally don't have the access at this time in my life to go walking in the mountains. I also would have great difficulty with my arthritis dancing for a hour without a break, but I can in SL. I very much enjoyed walking through an Egyptian tomb in Sansar knowing that it was the closest I'll ever get to one. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.