So I just found out about Sansar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What we have here is a conundrum.

On the one hand, as BilliJo says, there is no substitute for seeing the beauty of this planet in person. On the other hand, virtual reality/virtual worlds are good substitutes for those who can't go to those places, depending on physical and historical accuracy.

Something is better than nothing.

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

That's the point, isn't it? You seem to assume that just because YOU can do something in RL means everyone should be able to, but that's not the case. I personally don't have the access at this time in my life to go walking in the mountains. I also would have great difficulty with my arthritis dancing for a hour without a break, but I can in SL. I very much enjoyed walking through an Egyptian tomb in Sansar knowing that it was the closest I'll ever get to one. 

You are the one making assumptions not me. I was speaking only for myself.

38 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

What we have here is a conundrum.

On the one hand, as BilliJo says, there is no substitute for seeing the beauty of this planet in person. On the other hand, virtual reality/virtual worlds are good substitutes for those who can't go to those places, depending on physical and historical accuracy.

Something is better than nothing.

When they bring in death panels, I want the full 20 minutes when its my time to go.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
took out political stuff, added two words
  • Confused 1
On 2/27/2019 at 8:52 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

actually i thought they liked comparing sansar to RL... those long vistas, distant waterfalls, feeling totally overwhelmed by the scenery....

naw still no comparison... I'll just hop in my car and experience it in RL.

Just imagine in a few years though... hey kids we aren't gonna go on a trip out west, i got us some vr headsets, we'll just do a virtual tour instead....

ummmm.... no

20 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You are the one making assumptions not me. I was speaking only for myself.

Sounded like you passing judgement on the "they" who do compare Sansar to RL as though there's something wrong with them because YOU prefer to do it RL. 

Makes me wonder why you enjoy your SL pastimes as you do with your philosophy since RL is so much better. Sounds like you think if it's available in RL then don't go after it virtually. *shrugs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
50 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Sounded like you passing judgement on the "they" who do compare Sansar to RL as though there's something wrong with them because YOU prefer to do it RL.

Yes, she has done this most any time I've brought up my love of nature environments. It was a bit more veiled this time though.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Makes me wonder why you enjoy your SL pastimes as you do with your philosophy since RL is so much better. Sounds like you think if it's available in RL then don't go after it virtually. *shrugs

The friendships.

Having said that, why would I search out cheesy mountain views in SL when I'm only an hours drive from the Blue Ridge. Even the most amazing Sansar experience (no i refuse to visit) could in no way compare..... blistered feet, sunburn, biting insects, danger of falling and dying, there is so much missing from any virtual experience. It's a cheap cheesy copy of reality, nothing more.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a word

Thanks for everyone's input. I probably won't be migrating to Sansar anytime soon. I am jsut surprised that I haven't been aware of it for so long.  I kinda want to get into it, but it seems the learnign curve is steep and that it would be expensive.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Supersatan3 said:

Thanks for everyone's input. I probably won't be migrating to Sansar anytime soon. I am jsut surprised that I haven't been aware of it for so long.  I kinda want to get into it, but it seems the learnign curve is steep and that it would be expensive.

Not expensive at all -- in fact completely free. But yes, a learning curve.

There are TONS of free things on the Store and there are no land or upload fees BTW.    Not quite ready for prime time though. Getting there. 

And AGAIN. No VR gear is needed at all. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I actually hated brussel sprouts as a kid, but they were also almost always way over cooked back then and so much of their true flavor had been cooked out. I love them now, as long as they still have some firmness to them.  However, I still totally detest cabbage.

And a similar but different thing:  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/asparagus-pee_n_5ab932e3e4b0decad04cc745

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

I actually hated brussel sprouts as a kid, but they were also almost always way over cooked back then and so much of their true flavor had been cooked out. I love them now, as long as they still have some firmness to them.  However, I still totally detest cabbage.

My mom used to salt the water she cooked them in, so I thought they were supposed to be salty. But i always loved them.

I was such a picky eater, I don't understand how I managed to try any vegetables at all.

Other veggies of course I won't eat, or even try, even till now. Others I tried as I got older and loved.

56 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And a similar but different thing:  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/asparagus-pee_n_5ab932e3e4b0decad04cc745

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/09/14/161057954/love-to-hate-cilantro-its-in-your-genes-and-maybe-in-your-head

As always, it's complicated.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
5 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Oh yum, tender roasted brussels sprouts lathered in sweet butter, with sea salt and white pepper.

OMG i was so wrong, there is some good in everyone.

Food has united us, BilliJo.

When shall we set the wedding date?  lol

• Haha 2
18 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I have to meet you first. You do have a mesh body right?

I do have a mesh body -- in the form of a tree.
I'm very cute, as when I take off to fly a little dust cloud shoots out from my roots.
My branches are soft and cuddly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Omg I love you....if I eat something with it in and bite into the stem instant soap perfume poison taste, so overpowering cannot finish the food. Here it is called corriander, and it was not so common in regular food at all, would only pop up in some asian foods, so was never prepared for it, or expected it enough to ask for none to be used, as it coukd be years apart. I found out two years ago my Mum is exactly the same, but never expected it to be a real thing, so thank you 😚 it is more common now, so I ask for none even if not used, just to be sure, it is mostly the stems that ruin everything.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.