Who is Governor Linden?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I always figured Governor Linden looked something like this:

[Moderator Edit: Inflammatory image removed]

Governor Linden is best governor, and supreme linden. Dearest caretaker of all the lands (that people are abandoning...).

Edited by Dakota Linden
Moderator Edit: Inflammatory Image Removed
  • Haha 8

What, ANOTHER politics thread?

I'll just go off topic then and actually answer the OP's question.

Governor Linden is the Second Life avatar account used by LL to own most of the Mainland it holds.  The Governor is the owner of the majority of the roads, waterways, and public spaces of SL.

Interestingly, Governor Linden is not the only governor in SL.  The estate owner of Caledon, Desmond Shang, is known to Caledon's residents as "the Guv'nah".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah technically the account of 'governor linden' seems to be a staff bot account that is just used as a placeholder for any SL land that is not owned by a user. I ....think... I have seen governor linden on my radar, once or twice during griefer attacks, but I'm not sure - could be remembering that wrong. Chances are anyone working at a certain manager level over at LLs has the ability to use the account for 'managerial world management issues' - if it can even login to begin with (after all, not sure I'm remembering those sightings correctly).

The topic looked like a humor topic so I gave it a humor response. :)

19 hours ago, Fionalein said:

The question you should ask is: how is he related to Governance Linden?

It's a bit confusing, I suppose. Governor linden (a shall account used by many, mostly on the land team, and used a placeholder for many assets and parcels) and Governance Linden (of which there are several accounts in this name, Governance6, Governance15, etc., and are used by the governance team for addressing issues of TOS or CS violations) are a bit similar in name. 

17 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Yeah technically the account of 'governor linden' seems to be a staff bot account that is just used as a placeholder for any SL land that is not owned by a user.

As Janet on "The Good Place" might say, "Not a bot"

Edited by Marianne McCann
typo

4 hours ago, Marianne McCann said:

It's a bit confusing, I suppose. Governor linden (a shall account used by many, mostly on the land team, and used a placeholder for many assets and parcels) and Governance Linden (of which there are several accounts in this name, Governance6, Governance15, etc., and are used by the governance team for addressing issues of TOS or CS violations) are a bit similar in name. 

This is useful information. I honestly had no idea :) 

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Kind of makes me wonder, do a bunch of Linden employees all know the login credentials for “Governor Linden”? Seems like a TOS issue, unless the check out a unique “firefighter” password each time they use the account.

Well, it's possible to designate an account as roleplay only, and therefore accessible by several people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Kind of makes me wonder, do a bunch of Linden employees all know the login credentials for “Governor Linden”? Seems like a TOS issue, unless the check out a unique “firefighter” password each time they use the account.

I would suspect, too, that with a shell account of such high magnitude, they might have some specific form of protection in place, such as a login with.a SecureID style device or other method. The Governor, after all, would be a terrible account to see compromised.

I could not find the specific point in the TOS surrounding multiple use of one account, but I do believe it is disallowed *unless* permission is granted by the Linden Lab. As it's their account, I suspect that permission is granted. 😉

• Like 1

Governor Linden is like the Beatle you did not know about. I once tp'd to a meeting and the name came up on radar as leaving and I about snapped my RL neck somehow thinking if I moved in RL fast enough I could catch them.

The Lindens should replace the bears with Bingo Cards, so we can check off Lindens when spotted a bit like bird watchers, I want to catch a Commerce Linden, that would be the big win I think :D but yes the Governance Lindens are the ones that pull stolen content off the walls or did in the past. You would see them darting in and out of places. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 6:14 PM, Marianne McCann said:

(of which there are several accounts in this name, Governance6, Governance15, etc., and are used by the governance team for addressing issues of TOS or CS violations)

Strangely they all have the same typo, spelling "governante" with a c instead of a t.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:52 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

What kind of politician is he? Was he elected, appointed, or did he inherit the job? Does he even have power, or is a mere figurehead?

Inquiring minds like me want to know....

Governor Linden once appeared to me.

It turns out that contrary to all the cliches and prejudices, Governor Linden is actually a young, black female in a fashionable outfit, not a grey-bearded old dude in ancient clothing.

I have pictures to prove it.

Governor Linden has also spoken to me in IMs. During those few times, I noticed that the Governor used British spellings. 

Governor Linden is not elected or even appointed. She just *is*. On the Mainland, she has all the power, yes.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.