Skins for Signature Gianni heads

Tasar Ochs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

55 minutes ago, Tasar Ochs said:

I can't find anything.

there are hundreds, if not, thousends of compatible skin appliers for the current mesh mainstream bodies and heads.
Nearly all well known brands have those, to many to mention here.
Read the desctiptions on the vendors in the skin stores, or go to events, or search on MP  it's not that hard to find.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

there are hundreds, if not, thousends of compatible skin appliers for the current mesh mainstream bodies and heads.
Nearly all well known brands have those, to many to mention here.
Read the desctiptions on the vendors in the skin stores, or go to events, or search on MP  it's not that hard to find.

The Signature heads aren't exactly mainstream, finding skins specifically for those heads is going to be tough. He'll almost certainly need to find an omega facial skin applier instead, which isn't exactly common, and rules out some of the major brands like Straydog.

"Just search on the MP lol" is near useless advice in these situations, you have to wade through mountains of garbage, outdated skins and niche looks to find something actually appropriate. It's a habit many of you have that needs to stop; if someone asks for recommendations, is it really so hard to just answer the god damn question rather than just noiseposting like this?

@Tasar Ochs I'm not sure if these places offer omega head skins or not, but you could try L'Etre, Swallow, Birth or The Skinnery. I'm pretty sure they all offer omega body skins, but it's the head part of the skin that needs to be omega for you. So demo, demo, demo, and don't buy a thing until you've got a demo look (including tweaked shape) that you're happy with.

Edited by AyelaNewLife
I did typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I may suck at wielding the MP search function, but even a search for 'Skin AND Signature AND Head' still floods page after page with all sorts of random things like, shapes and female skins for Catwa heads. So yeah, 'just search on the MP' isn't going to be helpful. The 'thing' with skins is, different bodies and heads use different UV maps, so whilst an Omega 'can' put the texture on your head, you may find all sorts of issues - like, your nostrils being shadowed - on the outside of your nose. Many creators will offer a skin and say 'this skin is specifically designed for Head X by Y, but an Omega applier is included if you want to try it with another head - please try a demo before you purchase'.

So you want to, if possible (and for Signature's heads, I'm sure it is), find a skin that is actually made for your head - and, as always, make sure to demo it before you decide whether you like it enough to buy it. Unfortunately I can't recommend any specific brands for Signature's heads as I'm a Catwa user myself. Heck, I could hardly recommend a skin store for men at all, Stray Dog was the one 'everyone' told me to check out when I got my first mesh body, I don't know whether they have any skins for the Signature head though - might be worth a look.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

even a search for 'Skin AND Signature AND Head' still floods page after page with all sorts of random things like, shapes and female skins for Catwa heads.

The trick is to be very specific with your search. Since the OP wants Signature head appliers he needs to start in Avatar Components, where all skins reside. Then his search needs to narrow down and remove the possibility of other mesh head brands appearing, as per:

Signature AND head AND applier NOT Catwa NOT Lelutka NOT Logo

You'll still find a few random appliers in the results, but there are some Signature head appliers now showing, and we're down to just three pages of results (mainly because it's just not a head that many skin designers create for). From there the OP can look for a brand that has both Signature head and body appliers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

I really should start using 'NOT' in my searches. I recently started doing that in Google (removing 'Pinterest' because bleh) and it has helped me a lot when researching stuff for my job. Still, the MP searches can be a little awkward at times as people seemingly tag their products with random stuff to get more hits (like, if my one and only search-word is 'Maitreya', why do I get potted Gacha plants? Either the search engine is word blind, or someone snuck a tag in there for more hits). 

At least -most- Gacha stuff vanishes when you search with copy permissions. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Still, the MP searches can be a little awkward at times as people seemingly tag their products with random stuff to get more hits (like, if my one and only search-word is 'Maitreya', why do I get potted Gacha plants? Either the search engine is word blind, or someone snuck a tag in there for more hits). 

hahaha, I just happened to search for tabi socks yesterday... I so feel your pain...

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
16 minutes ago, Fezspana said:

Ugh. I have the same problem as the original poster. Signature Gianni head and cannot find a skin to work with it to save my life. Boy, way to discourage a newbie from Secondlife. What a ripoff.

Just as experience: even when a skin creator makes a skin dedicated to a special kind of model, it can often work well for others, and a dedicated skin can in the opinion of the buyer still look bad.

this link isn't a guarantee for all the right skins, but there are for sure several in this list that dó work... i'm not sure if gianni uses the normal map, if it does, you can try nearly all omega.( and BoM? )

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GM&search[keywords]=gianni+head+skin

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Fezspana said:

Ugh. I have the same problem as the original poster. Signature Gianni head and cannot find a skin to work with it to save my life. Boy, way to discourage a newbie from Secondlife. What a ripoff.

A popular item gets many mod options like skins. A lesser known/used one is not interesting to make stuff for, because of low sales.

What makes it complicated, is that Signature Body is the most popular male body... but the Signature Head is an oddity.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jonny6452 said:

Why would Raph Dirval make a Gianni signature body and a Gianni Signature head that don't have the same body skins or colors, that is just wrong. I have tried contacting him, but he does not answer. I paid 8000L, I should get some help, but nope.

Did you shop before you went to a store and plonked down money hoping for an avatar in a bag, though? Did you watch videos and read blogs, and look around to see who was making skins for your parts of choice? There are people who go through and help newbies make sure everything matches, sure. But they charge for the task. You're expected to be an informed consumer.

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 6:29 AM, Fezspana said:

At this point right now, you need to switch to Bakes on Mesh (this is achieved by clicking a button on the hud) and wearing a good system skin. You can then wear literally any skin made for any head. Appliers have gone the way of the dodo now and there are far fewer of them now than there were in 2019.

14 hours ago, jonny6452 said:

Why would Raph Dirval make a Gianni signature body and a Gianni Signature head that don't have the same body skins or colors, that is just wrong. I have tried contacting him, but he does not answer. I paid 8000L, I should get some help, but nope.

There is nothing wrong with Signature products, they are not faulty. If they were, they would not be the top selling men's mesh body with tens of thousands of satisfied customers. We'd have been hearing complaints about them for years. But no, we don't. I've been using Signature since 2018, there was nothing wrong with mine, including the latest update.  If you are having a problem with yours, the fault is with something you are doing (or not doing - like not turning on Bakes on Mesh). 

First, go to @Skell Dagger's blog and follow these tutorials very, very carefully. https://virtualbloke.com/tutorials  (you can ignore the Catwa ones and the Jake one, but follow all the others, in order. Don't skip the Classic Avatar one - you need to know the principles of it to understand mesh too).  Pay particular attention to Bakes on Mesh. You need to do that. Forget about the skins that come with the body, those are applier skins and as I explained up there, appliers are now obsolete and using an applier skin will stop you from using BOM addons like tattoos, body hair etc.

It's really about time for mesh body and head creators to follow Lelutka and Kalhene, and remove applier skins from their huds altogether, and go fully BOM. Having both is too confusing for most new users. Maybe they should put the applier version in a separate box labelled "Caution, advanced users only, do not open unless you already used mesh bodies before 2019".

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Lewis Luminos said:

It's really about time for mesh body and head creators to follow Lelutka and Kalhene

... and Slink 😊 

16 hours ago, jonny6452 said:

Why would Raph Dirval make a Gianni signature body and a Gianni Signature head...

Since there is no disagree option, I'll resort to point and laugh. 

19 hours ago, jonny6452 said:

The deafult skin that comes witht the body and head matches perfectly, and it comes in multiple tones. Checking if there are 3rd party skins for both the body and head is something people have to do before throwing 4k extra linden for the head, but thats true for any other brand.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.