Jump to content

What are some of your pet peeves?


IvyLarae
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Because the system avatar skin is broken up into three sections; upper body, lower body and head. The head section includes the neck. The gradual and organic transition to the mesh bodies of today continued that tradition; thus mesh bodies covered the upper and lower body sections, and the seam with mesh heads falls neatly on the seam between the body sections and the head section.

I have no idea why the furry community broke the mold with their setup. Most likely someone saying "wait that's dumb, lemme fix".

Oh, that's pretty interesting. It does make sense from that perspective.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Because the system avatar skin is broken up into three sections; upper body, lower body and head.

   Although that doesn't necessarily matter, I believe. Sure, if you want to use the UV maps used by the system avatars, yes you need to do it that way - but a skin is just a series of textures, there's nothing stopping you from UV mapping it whichever way you want, but doing so would mean that skins would be body/brand-specific (unless ALL the brands decided to go with the same UV layout); and doing so would also solve the one-arm tattoo 'thing'. It would be a lot of work to get that working, and even if there's a way right in front of us that could solve issues, people are lazy and afraid that their old stuff is going to be outdated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Orwar said:

   Although that doesn't necessarily matter, I believe. Sure, if you want to use the UV maps used by the system avatars, yes you need to do it that way - but a skin is just a series of textures, there's nothing stopping you from UV mapping it whichever way you want, but doing so would mean that skins would be body/brand-specific (unless ALL the brands decided to go with the same UV layout); and doing so would also solve the one-arm tattoo 'thing'. It would be a lot of work to get that working, and even if there's a way right in front of us that could solve issues, people are lazy and afraid that their old stuff is going to be outdated.

This may have been possible, if extremely difficult, if there had been a sudden switch from system avatars to modern mesh avatars. But there wasn't; the slow and organic transition makes what you're describing implausible. For example, we had a fairly extensive period in which mesh bodies with system heads was the status quo. Naturally, those bodies ended at this border between head and body on the skin; and the mesh heads that followed carried on that burden.

It's the equivalent of why the rail network in the UK is single-decker. There is nothing inherently wrong with having taller, two-level trains such as those found in mainland Europe, America, Asia... basically everywhere else. However, in part as we largely pioneered steam rail travel and so built most of our infrastructure at an earlier date than most, we have a huge amount of tunnels and bridges that cannot easily be extended to accept the taller vehicles available today. There's no reason why we can't change all that up, of course - it's just effort, so we let that legacy physical debt constrain what we do today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Today's latest peeve:  Guys that just have to sexualize everything.

   Winks cheekily. Rawr.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2020 at 9:57 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the term "ass backwards".  I mean, yes, I know it's supposed to mean doing something in the wrong order, but...

...one's ass is SUPPOSED to be in the rear.  So, "ass backwards" is actually the RIGHT way around. 

Why don't we say "ass first"??

The idiom makers got it ass backwards.

Ass backwards originally meant facing or going in the wrong direction. Sorry but you're over thinking it.

 

ass-backwards.jpeg?w=584

 

jWWNw.gif

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2020 at 5:07 PM, IvyLarae said:

the Boomer slang is slightly different.the best way i can think  to describe it would be

Boomer: back in my day people weren't so sensitive

Other person: back in your day bathrooms were segregated

No, bathrooms weren't segregated "back in my day" in the area of the south I grew up in, in the 60s and 70s. I'm still trying to figure out how the hell I can be considered part of the same generation the term boomer refers to when most people my age are nothing like the stereotypical boomer.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2020 at 7:36 PM, Ardy Lay said:

I only see it here.  IBL, In Before Lock or in before the lock.  Usually the person saying it adds a picture.  Sometimes the picture depicts a person or animal at a closing gate or door.  They are predicting the current forum thread is about to be locked by a moderator.

IBTL.gif.686e293423b62bd9458b43668d4d6928.gif

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2020 at 9:18 PM, IvyLarae said:

Way to dismiss other peoples issues as not as important because  you simply think so. I've done a lot of things,  I won't deny that, but I won't do anyone the disrespect of saying whatever situation they are going through should be over looked because someone somewhere has it worse, because that in itself is dismissive and the main reason why people STILL aren't as open to talking about what is bothering them, because that very attitude there

When the white folks and the black folks get done wiping each other out, my folks, the people of the First Nations, will still be here, cleaning up your messes. Again.

Would you like to know more?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2020 at 8:18 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

I do.  Amina does.  Selene does.

Seicher does too, but her excuse (tonight, at least) is that she's high on a poison bug she mistook for a peanut.  Plus drugs.  Plus coffee.

Why is it that I suddenly want to be somewhere on the Ohio river, fishing for refrigerators?

What did I do now? 🥴

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

What did I do now? 🥴

Pick a card .... any card ...

I think it had something to do with beavers.  Or maybe something someone said about having a sense of humor.  Or maybe .... gosh, I dunno.  Too many pages back.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2020 at 8:26 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

I think you've given me a contact high, Seicher.  I'm stepping away from the keyboard too...going to take some Benadryl for my allergies.  That generally gives ME a high.  Or a "higher" in this case.

Oh that reminds me of that damn (Strawberry's*) bird in Up In Smoke... "Wanna get high?...Wanna get high?...Wanna get high?...Wanna get..." 'BLAM'!!

Around 5:00.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2020 at 10:57 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I had heard, years ago, that LL could do a mac address ban and that requires a new computer to get around.  I don't enough about that level of computer & network details to know for sure though.

Any website/platform/whatever can ban by MAC address. 

Just in case no one told you.

 

*wanders back into the nether depths of the thread wondering if Sam the Spam has managed to get back into SL yet again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

What did I do now? 🥴

It was a compliment. I think Lindal mentioned in a response to Dano (???? on all of that), that some people use big, fancy, educated type words. You were one mentioned.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Pick a card .... any card ...

I think it had something to do with beavers.  Or maybe something someone said about having a sense of humor.  Or maybe .... gosh, I dunno.  Too many pages back.

See the response above. But in other matters, yes there was a "beever" snark. And tons of stuff too stupid, too jr. high to mention. Basically, again, the Forum has lost its collective mind thanks probably to being locked in together for too damned long. ETA: Some of the crap goes to multi-thread crap, and yes, you need a scorecard and Excel file.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

This may have been possible, if extremely difficult, if there had been a sudden switch from system avatars to modern mesh avatars. But there wasn't; the slow and organic transition makes what you're describing implausible. For example, we had a fairly extensive period in which mesh bodies with system heads was the status quo. Naturally, those bodies ended at this border between head and body on the skin; and the mesh heads that followed carried on that burden.

It's the equivalent of why the rail network in the UK is single-decker. There is nothing inherently wrong with having taller, two-level trains such as those found in mainland Europe, America, Asia... basically everywhere else. However, in part as we largely pioneered steam rail travel and so built most of our infrastructure at an earlier date than most, we have a huge amount of tunnels and bridges that cannot easily be extended to accept the taller vehicles available today. There's no reason why we can't change all that up, of course - it's just effort, so we let that legacy physical debt constrain what we do today.

I didn't follow much of this, I just ♥d for the pure geekiness of it all. siiiiiiigh

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Back to "The Midwest is a schittshow" meme for a moment...

I've lived there, for considerable periods.  Yes, there are intolerant people.  But you can find intolerant people anywhere, and I also met some of the kindest, most caring people I have known.

Oddly, some of them were the most bigoted.  While they would speak ill of other races, genders, or religions as a group, when it came down to individual cases, they treated people with kindness and grace.

The last bit there. When I was working as a clinical LMT in Ohio, it was a little like being a barber or bartender, people tended to tell me a LOT. I kind of liked it. But not always. I had some of the most lovely people as clients/patients, I truly did. For some reason it seems to be human nature to think that "everybody thinks/believes the way I do, so I'm just going to talk like they do."

I had a couple of clients that I adored... until. In part of their "let it out" bit, they would show ugliness that would just literally make me flinch. There was one such session where I actually stopped working as a gut reaction (not realizing I had done so) and took an actual step away from the person. I recovered, with unnaturally quick thinking, by making that into a "time when I needed to get more lotion." Hopefully I was professional enough that no one noticed, but for those people it absolutely changed the way I thought of them. It was, "Damnit, why did you have to let me know?"

I did have one little old lady, who was declining and in palliative care and a house call. Her daughter was a good client and I considered her a friend, so color me surprised when her mother, this tiny, proper, lady, would let fly with the most disturbing racial slurs. She was also suffering from dementia. I didn't have the heart to think poorly of her at that point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Sadly, I grew up in Ky and lived there for almost 30 years. Mostly I heard them make fun of people from Ohio (a good number of whom were migrant Kentuckians) and Michigan. OTOH, I think the unofficial state motto of Ky is 'Hey, at least we are not Mississippi,' as Mississippi is about the only place with worse stats than Ky, except for smoking, which might be West Va. At any rate, they and the state I unfortunately live in now, IN, are all horrible, IMO. If I could do my life over, I would either run away to the Northeast in my teens and just starve there if I couldn't survive, or just shoot myself and at least not have to live my life in racist, xenophobic, homophobic, misogynistic states soaked through with Christian fundamentalism.

Mississippi and Lousyana are the two states that are always on the two bottom ranks. No other states ever rank lower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

 Kentucky is gorgeous.

and stuff

We're sorry about Tom Cruise but we can't be perfect. 🤪

Kentucky IS gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful. (I won't mention the absolute tragedy of some of those beautiful mountain hillsides and valleys and creeks with little homes on them that turn the hillside/creek into a god awful eyesore by using it as a personal dumping ground, and yes... some of that is due to lack of education and more importantly lack of money.)

There was a time that a good drive through Kentucky was one of the best days ever for just letting go and soaking up nature's beauty.

I didn't know about Tom Cruise. I'm sorry.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Kentucky IS gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful.

   ... That's the one with the chickens, right?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...