What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's one that I may have posted about already, can't remember

But I HATE it when you make a Facebook post asking for store recommendations for a certain thing, or ask for that in an SL group and there is ALWAYS someone who chimes in with Marketplace/ MP or better yet Have you tried the Marketplace? That last one may be a valid question and I can usually excuse it, but for those chiming in with MP is just....

THE MARKETPLACE ISN'T A STORE! It's SL's online Retailer!

That would be like if you asked me what sort of store I should go to to find a specific style of shoe and I answer " Have you tried the mall?" Yes the mall may have stores in it, but the mall itself is not a store!

It's so frustrating because it's an answer that really isn't one. *groans loudly* I'd much rather if you didn't have an answer to not answer at all! I've even started saying "Don't say marketplace please without at-least giving the name of an MP store!"

Edited by IvyLarae
  • Like 11

6 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

But I HATE it when you make a Facebook post asking for store recommendations for a certain thing, or ask for that in an SL group and there is ALWAYS someone who chimes in with Marketplace/ MP or better yet Have you tried the Marketplace? That last one may be a valid question and I can usually excuse it, but for those chiming in with MP is just....

That would be like if you asked me what sort of store I should go to to find a specific style of shoe and I answer " Have you tried the mall?" Yes the mall may have stores in it, but the mall itself is not a store!

It's so frustrating because it's an answer that really isn't one. *groans loudly* I'd much rather if you didn't have an answer to not answer at all! I've even started saying "Don't say marketplace please without at-least giving the name of an MP store!"

Just to echo this...

How in the hecc does anyone actually shop on the marketplace?!

Every time I've tried to look for something there, I've had to wade through a neverending pile of garbage, outdated offers, and land offers packed with irrelevant keywords. I can (and have) spent hours scrolling through nonsense only to finally find something vaguely close to what I'm looking for, only to find it's a no-demo standard sizes outfit from 2013. No ty.

It's just not useful advice. If someone is asking for recommendations, give recommendations... don't just noisepost with irrelevant nonsense like "have you tried the marketplace?" Like of course I've tried the marketplace you tool, that's why I'm asking!

Angery noises.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

So are you guys, @Skell Dagger and @Scylla Rhiadra hinting that my new thread might get moved to parts unknown? Any suggestions (over there cuz we're really spamming the peeve thread now)?

And folks... it's up. Post some damned screenshots. :)

Please?

Pet hate: people that vaguely reference other threads rather than just linking to them. 

I'm lazy. Feed my laziness god dammit! :P

In this case:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Pet hate: people that vaguely reference other threads rather than just linking to them. 

I'm lazy. Feed my laziness god dammit! :P

In this case:

My guess is that many ppl probably don't do a hard link out of respect for the current one. Like not wanting to hijack the thread they're in (especially not when the other one is a 'competing' one), and therefore only politely, sideways mention it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

IKR?! :)

It's very common, btw, not just in SL. Like someone is asking for help with a ship-build, and asks "Can someone give me some good tips on making an energy drain build?" And then 10 will reply, 9 of which will suggest something else, like "You're better off going with particle generators." 😅 Peeps rarely just simply answer your question. 

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kiramanell said:

IKR?! :)

It's very common, btw, not just in SL. Like someone is asking for help with a ship-build, and asks "Can someone give me some good tips on making an energy drain build?" And then 10 will reply, 9 of which will suggest something else, like "You're better off going with particle generators." 😅 Peeps rarely just simply answer your question. 

That's because they don't know the answer but can't resist yapping anyway. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

That's because they don't know the answer but can't resist yapping anyway. 

Kind of the same thing, is you ask a question and in addition to the off the wall stuff you get a bunch of people chiming in with, "I don't know!" and "Sorry, can't help you!" I think I'd rather see "did you look in the marketplace (stupid)?" than all of those why tf are you replying "I dunno..." s.

I'm quite capable of holding many peeves at once, and am currently festering about 11 of them simultaneously.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Just to echo this...

How in the hecc does anyone actually shop on the marketplace?!

Every time I've tried to look for something there, I've had to wade through a neverending pile of garbage, outdated offers, and land offers packed with irrelevant keywords. I can (and have) spent hours scrolling through nonsense only to finally find something vaguely close to what I'm looking for, only to find it's a no-demo standard sizes outfit from 2013. No ty.

It's just not useful advice. If someone is asking for recommendations, give recommendations... don't just noisepost with irrelevant nonsense like "have you tried the marketplace?" Like of course I've tried the marketplace you tool, that's why I'm asking!

Angery noises.

And THIS! I know some people who truly are gifted at finding everything they look for on the marketplace. Apparently they shine at typing just the right key search words and are fluent in the use of filters. There must be a special handshake involved though, and I wasn't informed. I forget what I was looking for a few days ago, but I was pretty specific and actually did bring up what I was looking for... and two pages of things that had absolutely nothing to do with anything.

I so miss the days when I would shop by wandering the grid, finding special things, wearing them and everyone thinking I was some kind of fashion expert! Now, we all get the same mini skirt and crop top. :/ I know that region hopping to shop is still possible, but a lot harder. And... yeah, I'd grumble about losing the convenience of the marketplace.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Today's peeve is people doing in threads exactly what they get frustrated at others for doing.

It's possible I'm even on my own list at times, but it still irritates me.

There are times I know *I* want to block me. :)

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

And THIS! I know some people who truly are gifted at finding everything they look for on the marketplace. Apparently they shine at typing just the right key search words and are fluent in the use of filters. There must be a special handshake involved though, and I wasn't informed. I forget what I was looking for a few days ago, but I was pretty specific and actually did bring up what I was looking for... and two pages of things that had absolutely nothing to do with anything.

I so miss the days when I would shop by wandering the grid, finding special things, wearing them and everyone thinking I was some kind of fashion expert! Now, we all get the same mini skirt and crop top. :/ I know that region hopping to shop is still possible, but a lot harder. And... yeah, I'd grumble about losing the convenience of the marketplace.

I've bought more stuff from the marketplace because I run into someone wearing something cute, zap them with my attachment reader, look up the creator on the marketplace and buy that item, than I have through actually searching for something.

Edited by AyelaNewLife
I did typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whoa, hold on there!

I have my problems with the Marketplace too...who doesn't?  But it can certainly be a great alternative way to find something.  Ayela's method (see the post immediately above) is one I've used many times.  It's possible to get search terms that filter results in a meaningful way.  Not always, and not always on the first or the fourth attempt, but it's possible.

I'd certainly not get all upset if I asked where to find something and somebody said "try the MP"...although I'd think the answer had a lot more value if they had already done the search for me and found a likely item!

My main gripe with the MP is actually BECAUSE of its convenience, for both shoppers and sellers.  It's resulted in the closure of a great many in-world stores, as creators found they could cut expenses by selling exclusively on the MP.  And that's bad for the Grid.  Maybe if creators had to pay a listing fee, instead of just a fee on sales, in-world stores could compete with the MP on a more even basis.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

When I first started SL, I admit I had a computer that was sh*ittier than the current one I have, I literally couldn't going into in-world stores without lagging out and crashing ( Yeah it was THAT bad) so if I couldn't find it on the MP, I was basically screwed so I became pretty good at finding what I wanted. Fast forward to now, if I had to just do MP shopping I'd probably end up throwing my computer into a wall because its SO HARD to shop there now, before they added the feature to weed out demo's and limited quantities, the MP was such a Gacha dumpster, that it was REALLY hard to find full products and not just 700 results of the same pair of shoes gacha

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I've bought more stuff from the marketplace because I run into someone wearing something cute, zap them with my attachment reader, look up the creator on the marketplace and buy that item, than I have through actually searching for something.

That's how I shop! Every Saturday night I host I find my self attaching the "what is she wearing" thinger and then look at creator profiles and going to marketplace to find the item. I don't even have to demo the item to see how it moves while dancing, i see it dancing for me.

• Like 3

@kali Wylder that is actually really smart and a great tip for shopping!

I guess my personal pet peeve is people who get all twisted out of shape, when you ask them where they found an item.  Some people don't care and tell you right away but there are those who act like you asked for their first born child.  I do get that people have their own style and want to stand out but, unless you commissioned the piece privately, that creator is selling their items to more than just you.  I also feel that when someone asks me where I found something, it's a good time to help support my favorite creator.  If my fav creator is making sales, then that is going to end up with them making more things, or at least, I hope so.

Edited by Vega Firelyte
Wanted to add the last sentence.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My peeve, now at #12 today, is that I'm too effing old to be in a jr. high school hissy fit exchange.

I'm gonna go binge watch more Vikings, because watching them slaughter various species in various unique and disturbing ways is a lot more peaceful than certain areas of the Interwebs & Forum.

:::semi, non-official, and temporary flounce as my neck hurts too much right now to do a good real one:::

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 3

I love the MP and do most of my shopping there because I usually have a general idea of what I want, but not a specific enough idea to know what store to go to. Search can take a bit of time, but I don't find it impossible by any means. Having said that, if I asked where I might find something, and the reply was "try the Marketplace", I'd not find that helpful at all because DUH. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'm gonna go binge watch more Vikings

People who watch Vikings, is a pet peeve of mine. There are no bloody waterfalls in Uppsala! 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Vega Firelyte said:

@kali Wylder that is actually really smart and a great tip for shopping!

I guess my personal pet peeve is people who get all twisted out of shape, when you ask them where they found an item.  Some people don't care and tell you right away but there are those who act like you asked for their first born child.  I do get that people have their own style and want to stand out but, unless you commissioned the piece privately, that creator is selling their items to more than just you.  I also feel that when someone asks me where I found something, it's a good time to help support my favorite creator.  If my fav creator is making sales, then that is going to end up with them making more things, or at least, I hope so.

As a blogger I always credit everything so people know where to find it, but recently I've attracted one follower who copies my look down to the last thing. And I really do mean 'down to the last thing'. Case in point: my face piercings. They're a big linked multi-set with tons of options for hiding and showing specific piercings, and this person has copied my exact configuration. Same with the ear piercings, too. Same skin. Same jacket. Same necklace. Same hair...

It's more than a little bit creepy... :/

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, no?

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

As a blogger I always credit everything so people know where to find it, but recently I've attracted one follower who copies my look down to the last thing. And I really do mean 'down to the last thing'. Case in point: my face piercings. They're a big linked multi-set with tons of options for hiding and showing specific piercings, and this person has copied my exact configuration. Same with the ear piercings, too. Same skin. Same jacket. Same necklace. Same hair...

Thats why on the rare occasions I do blog my looks, I odds are won't list things that I feel make my avatar, well...me. If they come up and ask me where I got my tat, skin, eyes etc of course I'll tell them but I won't list it because those things are so personal that I don't want a carbon copy of me walking around. That may sound selfish and thats fine, but I've spent literal years working on Ivy to make her look how I like her, I'm pretty protective of it because of that

and I REFUSE to give out my shape because I made it

7 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

F7D5061D-2B2C-4752-9A2A-B9B8A6680A66.gif

f432f0fb1143e3f0f43bea5ab26039b1.jpg

Don't make us come over there and teach you-- How to make cheese, or something. 

Really did the Spaniards in, didn't we.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I get both sides of this peeve. I like to direct attention to creators I love but at the same time I don't get dolled up to go out and talk shop about building avatars.  I want to dance and flirt and have fun. Maybe it's my charming personality, but the number of people who hit me up for what I'm wearing and then became great friends? Zero. I usually just link them the "What's she wearing" HUD. Conversely, I'm much more open to conversations about avatars in a shopping venue, where that's the focus / mode I'm in. 

Edited by missyrideout

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.