What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

A vague acquaintance of mine had a stalker go crazy on her again today. They rolled a new account with a similar name and identical display name, joined several high-traffic groups and started to spout large volumes of allegedly personal information, starting from their SL romantic life and then on to contact details and other RL information. This has supposedly happened half a dozen times before. 

As with the recent forum pest, they're left unbanned for hours at a time to spread their damage. When they are finally banned, they are left free to simply roll another account, without any measures put in place to prevent such a thing. In this particular case, the main account of the stalker is known, proof of the link has been provided to LL, and yet the main account has not been touched. Without any meaningful consequences for their actions, this psycho is free to keep up their campaign of hate on LL's own platform.

So I guess my pet peeve is LL's morally unjustifiable approach to moderation of both the forums and the world itself. "Just block lol" is not an acceptable response when someone is conducting a campaign of mass doxxing. 

Not even a day later, and this is relevant once more. If you're not willing to have non-US working day coverage of the report queue, then set up a system of volunteer moderators to do that for you.

• Like 2

A volunteer moderator system can work. It requires staff time to monitor and administer of course, and with hindsight, this forum does not have anywhere near the traffic needed to justify that staff time. With the scaling that can happen with far busier forums this might be an avenue worth considering, but not here.

What's needed is a hardware identifier ban. It's not foolproof, but considerably stronger than an IP or MAC ban. However, I'm not even sure if LL have tried anything more than an account ban.

Adding in a delay just means a determined griefer will queue up accounts in advance, while turning away legitimate new players.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Adding in a delay just means a determined griefer will queue up accounts in advance, while turning away legitimate new players.

I have seen griefers inworld, doing that.  They make several accounts, let them age for the places that have an age limit on the land they are targeting, and grief with those avs, when they reach the right age.  As you said, a determined griefer will find a way around security measures or deterrents, if they really want to.   (Some of these guys really do need a new hobby.)

Edited by Vega Firelyte
typo
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Isn't it a little too much attention feeding for that lunatic if you seriously want to change and restrict everyone and their dog... umm, perhaps not the best comparision in this context... just to keep them from posting?

It is LL's job to keep their public forum free of slander and defamation, their legal department might point them to that sooner or later.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Isn't it a little too much attention feeding for that lunatic if you seriously want to change and restrict everyone and their dog... umm, perhaps not the best comparision in this context... just to keep them from posting?

It is LL's job to keep their public forum free of slander and defamation, their legal department might point them to that sooner or later.

It's justifiable frustration at work here. I think it's human nature to want to do something, anything to stop a problem like this. It's counter-intuitive to accept that the current flawed setup is probably about as good as it can get (or would be if enforced properly), and sometimes people need to talk through the alternatives and why they won't work or are counter-productive.

• Like 2

Back to "The Midwest is a schittshow" meme for a moment...

I've lived there, for considerable periods.  Yes, there are intolerant people.  But you can find intolerant people anywhere, and I also met some of the kindest, most caring people I have known.

Oddly, some of them were the most bigoted.  While they would speak ill of other races, genders, or religions as a group, when it came down to individual cases, they treated people with kindness and grace.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I've lived there, for considerable periods.  Yes, there are intolerant people.  But you can find intolerant people anywhere, and I also met some of the kindest, most caring people I have known.

Oddly, some of them were the most bigoted.  While they would speak ill of other races, genders, or religions as a group, when it came down to individual cases, they treated people with kindness and grace.

I want to believe this.  I didn't experience it when I lived in Indiana, but I have known extremely kind and generous bigots in California. There's some kind of disconnect where people they don't know they can dehumanize and despise intolerantly but the individuals they come in contact with they don't identify as "other".

Now if only we could fix it so they understood that "those people" are not "other" either.

Edited by kali Wylder
also!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pet Peeve - People ragging on my beautiful state (unless they're me). Kentucky is gorgeous. I grew up here, left, and came back because it's a great place (and they need my liberal vote). 

Every state (or country for that matter) has good and bad. Yes, Kentucky is far more red than I'd like it to be, but we've also got the bluest of blue governors who is consistently ranked as one of the best governors in the country for how he's handling the virus mess. Sure, we're a huge producer of tobacco, but y'all wouldn't have Bourbon without us. Yeah, okay, so we produced Mitch McConnell, but what about that Abe Lincoln, huh? 

Cheeseburgers were invented in Kentucky. Corvettes and almost every disco ball in creation comes from Kentucky. We have a waterfall that regularly creates a MOONBOW. Happy Birthday to You was written by two sisters in Kentucky. Post-It notes are made exclusively in Kentucky. How about Fort Knox? We've got ALL THE GOLD! Muhammad Ali? Proud Kentuckian. Diane Sawyer? Proud Kentuckian. 

We're sorry about Tom Cruise but we can't be perfect. 🤪

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I want to believe this.  I didn't experience it when I lived in Indiana, but I have known extremely kind and generous bigots in California. There's some kind of disconnect where people they don't know they can dehumanize and despise intolerantly but the individuals they come in contact with they don't identify as "other".

Now if only we could fix it so they understood that "those people" are not "other" either.

A shift to this type of unified consciousness is within the realm of possibilities. There is such a tendency though for humans to feel the strongest identity and sense of 'goodness' when they are fighting against what they deem as 'the bad ones' -- scapegoating.

I really like what Warren said in an interview, that she does not need to gain her strength through divisiveness. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Pet Peeve - People ragging on my beautiful state (unless they're me). Kentucky is gorgeous.

The trees in Louisville are so beautiful they are almost surreal. I remember passing that way while travelling to New York from the plains.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Pet Peeve - People ragging on my beautiful state (unless they're me). Kentucky is gorgeous. I grew up here, left, and came back because it's a great place (and they need my liberal vote). 

Every state (or country for that matter) has good and bad. Yes, Kentucky is far more red than I'd like it to be, but we've also got the bluest of blue governors who is consistently ranked as one of the best governors in the country for how he's handling the virus mess. Sure, we're a huge producer of tobacco, but y'all wouldn't have Bourbon without us. Yeah, okay, so we produced Mitch McConnell, but what about that Abe Lincoln, huh? 

Cheeseburgers were invented in Kentucky. Corvettes and almost every disco ball in creation comes from Kentucky. We have a waterfall that regularly creates a MOONBOW. Happy Birthday to You was written by two sisters in Kentucky. Post-It notes are made exclusively in Kentucky. How about Fort Knox? We've got ALL THE GOLD! Muhammad Ali? Proud Kentuckian. Diane Sawyer? Proud Kentuckian. 

You had me at DISCO BALL. 

tenor-218594658.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Apparently I missed that as I was scrolling pass all of the generic chit-chat going on.

I grew up in the Midwest, though I don't live there now, and have visited much of the rest of the US . Overall, the Midwest isn't really any more of a sh*tshow than the rest of the country.  There are idiots, bigots, racists, and every other type of a--hole in every state in the country.  There are some larger pockets of overly religious zealots in parts of the midwest and south, there are some larger pockets of overall snobs in the east and west, just like there are some larger pockets of various human failings in all many of the US.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Several iterations ago, they had volunteer/non-staff moderators.

I accept!

I think I'd be fantastic!!!

"And YOU get a forum ban! And YOU get a forum ban! EVERYONE gets a forum ban!"

I'd volunteer to do this tbh! I get they are doing their best but there is SO much going on here that they need more hands on deck to help them

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

George Clooney, Johnny Depp, Josh Hutchinson, Loretta Lynn, Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Stapleton are ALL from Kentucky as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Apparently I missed that as I was scrolling pass all of the generic chit-chat going on.

I grew up in the Midwest, though I don't live there now, and have visited much of the rest of the US . Overall, the Midwest isn't really any more of a sh*tshow than the rest of the country.  There are idiots, bigots, racists, and every other type of a--hole in every state in the country.  There are some larger pockets of overly religious zealots in parts of the midwest and south, there are some larger pockets of overall snobs in the east and west, just like there are some larger pockets of various human failings in various areas of the US.  

It seems like, today, many perceive being a bigot or racist as the worst kind of 'othering' /scapegoating one can do. But there are plenty of types of 'othering' humans can do that are just as egregious.  

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

As a blogger I always credit everything so people know where to find it, but recently I've attracted one follower who copies my look down to the last thing. And I really do mean 'down to the last thing'. Case in point: my face piercings. They're a big linked multi-set with tons of options for hiding and showing specific piercings, and this person has copied my exact configuration. Same with the ear piercings, too. Same skin. Same jacket. Same necklace. Same hair...

It's more than a little bit creepy... :/

That is a little creepy... we've all seen how "Single White Female" ended.

Better keep a pair of steel-heeled stillettos close by, just in case...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m going on a little bit of a rant here, but I absolutely hate conceited people in SL who have a “don’t talk to us you’re not part of our clique” when they’re hanging out at a large social sim?!

I mean what is the point of going to a social sim to just sit in silence/IM’s then complain that I’m being too loud just trying to start a friendly conversation.. I get if you’ve just met somebody and you’re just vibing in IMs but to just outright ignore people who are trying to start a conversation in local really gets to me & makes me feel so out of place... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Would an account age restriction whereby accounts can't post until they're X days old help?

That would severely restrict actual newcomers' ability to communicate with the community, so I don't know if that would be a good idea. I think that with SL's fairly steep learning curve at the beginning, it's important that newbies can ask for help through whichever channels they are able both on the forums and in-world.

• Like 7

Here's a thing.

Why do human heads in SL come with built-in necks?

Surely the neck should be part of the body rather than the head? That's how furry heads have always worked. It's an excellent way to avoid neck seams too (granted, by hiding them somewhere less obvious, but still!)

Sure, you get used to it, and if everyone does it, it works. But it's nonsense, I tell you.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

Here's a thing.

Why do human heads in SL come with built-in necks?

Surely the neck should be part of the body rather than the head? That's how furry heads have always worked. It's an excellent way to avoid neck seams too (granted, by hiding them somewhere less obvious, but still!)

Sure, you get used to it, and if everyone does it, it works. But it's nonsense, I tell you.

Because the system avatar skin is broken up into three sections; upper body, lower body and head. The head section includes the neck. The gradual and organic transition to the mesh bodies of today continued that tradition; thus mesh bodies covered the upper and lower body sections, and the seam with mesh heads falls neatly on the seam between the body sections and the head section.

I have no idea why the furry community broke the mold with their setup. Most likely someone saying "wait that's dumb, lemme fix".

Edited by AyelaNewLife
I did typo
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.