What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Zzevir said:

I tried marmite once

The uninitiated tend to wack Marmite on in similar fashion to spreading peanut butter on; the experience doesn't end well. Only hardcore fans can get away with this! A thin smear per bites-worth of toast is plenty.

Having said that, there is NO grey area with Marmite! You either love it madly or hate it intensely.

(Just for the record, I'm a lover. I have every respect for the haters though!)

• Like 3

Mmm, Marmite. But yes, couldn't agree more with this:

3 minutes ago, Odaks said:

The uninitiated tend to wack Marmite on in similar fashion to spreading peanut butter on; the experience doesn't end well. Only hardcore fans can get away with this! A thin smear per bites-worth of toast is plenty.

You need to put a little butter or spread on the toast and then yes, just a lick of Marmite. It also goes well on cheese on toast, spread it thinly before putting the cheese on and grilling. Also, if you make veggie French onion soup, add a teaspoon of Marmite while caramelising the onions. Amazing. 

• Like 2

I was tricked eating Marmite being told it was something sweet ( in my country we have dark black sweet marmelade made out of pears called 'Stroop' ).

I still suffer from that enough to avoid it forever ... :|

ETA : .... after one single bite.

Edited by TDD123

3 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I've now blocked all the clueless colonials who have DEFILED the sacred sauce with their mislabelled abomination.

We need a new crusade.

Ok, "colonials" I can translate, but which sacred sauce have we corrupted? But you're ok with "biscuit"? And zomg... you're someone who puts extra U's into words??? I never noticed. After all this time, I never noticed!

hm... If I'm one of the clueless colonials (and I kinda like that sobriquet) whom you have blocked, does that mean I can write all kinds of taunting posts at you? Post real pictures of real biscuits and boots and fanny packs and... and you'll never notice!? bwahahahaha

• Haha 2

Here's a peeve. (This was a "peeves" thread wasn't it?)

Worcestershire Sauce has not received a single mention so far.

Its the one essential ingredient that fixes almost anything savoury that "mmm..........needs something".

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Odaks said:

Its the one essential ingredient that fixes almost anything savoury that "mmm..........needs something".

I always put that on steaks, hamburgers and meatloaf!

• Like 3

Just now, Janet Voxel said:

Wouldn’t call that a....meal?

Well, there's both rice porridge and rice pudding, the latter is (at least here) occasionally sweetened, served cold, and either made with cream or mixed with whipped cream. Ris à la Malta is a traditional Yule-time desert, made by stirring together whipped cream and rice porridge with clementines or oranges.

• Like 1

Just now, Orwar said:

Well, there's both rice porridge and rice pudding, the latter is (at least here) occasionally sweetened, served cold, and either made with cream or mixed with whipped cream. Ris à la Malta is a traditional Yule-time desert, made by stirring together whipped cream and rice porridge with clementines or oranges.

So how’s it taste with a chicken bouillon cube in it?

20 minutes ago, Odaks said:

When I lived in the Bay Area, there was a many starred restaurant that served classy, European-type meals and the head chef hosted cooking classes every so often. His secret ingredient go-to was Worcestershire Sauce! From then forward I drizzle it in most anything savory. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Janet Voxel said:

So how’s it taste with a chicken bouillon cube in it?

Well, it's far from my favourite desert to begin with, but I doubt a bullion cube would do much to improve it.

It is, surprisingly, quite light - which you absolutely need after having done five turns at the Yulebord already. 

22 minutes ago, Odaks said:

I can spell that no probs!

Worst$hitThisyear sauce.

I win! \0/ yaaaaaaaaay!! 🤑🤩😆😸

• Haha 7

Just now, Orwar said:

Well, it's far from my favourite desert to begin with, but I doubt a bullion cube would do much to improve it.

It is, surprisingly, quite light - which you absolutely need after having done five turns at the Yulebord already. 

I actually love rice pudding. It’s more of a snack here though.

0CBC6F02-662D-48B0-9C0A-AD1C3E36F641.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

LoL. I actually like rice pudding but yeah, that's an unappealing gif. :) Kinda like the sausage gravy discussion. No way to make it look appetizing.

It's a texture thing for me... ick, ick, ick. Same with the mushrooms. That texture shouldn't exist. Bananas, too. And I really want to love bananas and that is a peeve of mine. I have tried and tried and tried and just can't do it. 

It isn't a proper rice pud unless it is served with its thick skin on top (which has to be carefully cut into equal pieces to avoid un-civil war breaking out between the kids).

ETA - and a grating of nutmeg, of course!

Edited by Odaks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.