What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

George Clooney, Johnny Depp, Josh Hutchinson, Loretta Lynn, Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Stapleton are ALL from Kentucky as well. 

I recognize three of those names.... :$

George Clooney, Johnny Depp and Loretta Lynn.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Orwar said:

... That's the one with the chickens, right?

The Colonel and his fried ones, yes. And even though it is a big franchise, for whatever reason the KFC around the area where it originated tastes better. The biscuits are way better there, than even not too far away in Cincinnati.

ETA: It is sort of the Guinness effect. Guinness is best in Dublin. The farther away you get, even in Ireland, it just doesn't taste quite as good. The fancy cans in America help, but still doesn't give you the real deal. But I still eat KFC away from KY and still drink Guinness here in the States.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Pick a card .... any card ...

I think it had something to do with beavers.  Or maybe something someone said about having a sense of humor.  Or maybe .... gosh, I dunno.  Too many pages back.

That's what I get for chasing a lunatic around the internet for a month. But it will have been worth missing all the drama here if it means she gets the help she needs. Yeah I know, I'm a lunatic for doing it in the first place but that one has no business being in SL, much less online. She wants back into SL so she can harass certain residents and call it roleplaying.

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

The biscuits are way better there, than even not too far away in Cincinnati.

I have so much fun with teasing @momomoonusagi for her weird conception of what a 'biscuit' is. Bis coquere, which is the etymological root of the word, is Latin for 'twice baked/cooked', and was traditionally done to conserve the cooked grains and keep it from rotting or moulding, especially for military rations and seafarers. We still do this to produce the 'skorpa' ('crust'), which is a white, leavened, twice-baked bread - either sweetened or unsweetened, usually with cardamom.  

skorpa.jpg?w=640

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

I have so much fun with teasing @momomoonusagi for her weird conception of what a 'biscuit' is. Bis coquere, which is the etymological root of the word, is Latin for 'twice baked/cooked', and was traditionally done to conserve the cooked grains and keep it from rotting or moulding, especially for military rations and seafarers. We still do this to produce the 'skorpa' ('crust'), which is a white, leavened, twice-baked bread - either sweetened or unsweetened, usually with cardamom.  

skorpa.jpg?w=640

Unless you want to be shot, never, ever go to the southern USA and refer to these as biscuits ^^^. Their version of biscuits, and the best of them are heavenly and I'm not really a biscuit eater, are something of a sacrament. Feuds have started over less.

Those in the picture look very yummy, whatever they are called.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That's what I get for chasing a lunatic around the internet for a month. But it will have been worth missing all the drama here if it means she gets the help she needs. Yeah I know, I'm a lunatic for doing it in the first place but that one has no business being in SL, much less online. She wants back into SL so she can harass certain residents and call it roleplaying.

Based on your description ^^^ I think "it" is another person/persons than you had in mind.

ETA: It is *important* to keep the Forum Kerfuffles™ straight! [sarcasm font™]

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

Those in the picture look very yummy, whatever they are called.

Those are skorpor, though in Sweden we didn't make them out of necessity the same way most of Europe and the US made ship biscuits; we have something far superior to that end. Knäckebröd.

julknacke-hardbrod-knackebrod-hembakat_5

This type of rye flatbread predate the vikings, and was an ingenious way of preserving grain throughout winter as well as being a near enough unspoilable food source to be brought along for raiding and exploring from Miklagard to Vinland. The hole in the middle was made to store the bread by threading them on poles that were hung in the ceiling, keeping them nice and dry. 

That reminds me to put down both skorpor and knäckebröd (along with crayfish cheese!) on my shopping list for tomorrow, as it's the perfect late night snack and breakfast food.

• Like 1

The only sweet biscuits I like really are those dustbin lid sized cookies which are quite soft to bite into. They must be dark brown with triple choc chunks. Nothing else comes close.

Cheese biscuits with herbs eaten with something like St Agur is on a par. But cheese "crackers" vary so much that a mouth test is essential.

In the UK anyway.

The variation in cheese biscuits is a huge peeve.

• Like 1

Southern USA biscuits are usually are made with buttermilk, have very few ingredients, and are a master class of technique to yield a light, flakey layer upon flakey layer of yum. There are various regional styles. ETA: Heated battles have been fought over what is and is not a good biscuit. Every southerner I've ever met swore that no northerner could make a proper biscuit.

UK biscuits generally = USA cookies, sometimes crackers

Scandinavian biscuits don't really have a USA counterpart that *I* know about.

Last time I derailed the peeve thread with food it was about the regionalisms of chili. Guess that's what comes from having lived in a billion states.

image.png.75fed3d4454d2e125a6f1fe6e81e697c.png

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Well, we do like scones ...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Southern USA biscuits are usually are made with buttermilk, have very few ingredients, and are a master class of technique to yield a light, flakey layer upon flakey layer of yum. There are various regional styles. ETA: Heated battles have been fought over what is and is not a good biscuit. Every southerner I've ever met swore that no northerner could make a proper biscuit.

UK biscuits generally = USA cookies, sometimes crackers

Last time I derailed the peeve thread with food it was about the regionalisms of chili. Guess that's what comes from having lived in a billion states.

image.png.75fed3d4454d2e125a6f1fe6e81e697c.png

I made a mistake coming into this thread while hungry and waiting on dinner to get done * Drooooooooooools*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Just when I'm about to take Seicher off ignore she has to go and post a pic of a mouth watering biscuit. Wait... where the hell is the real butter!?

AUGH! shakefist.gif.cf96e66a0de666a9179b459b38665598.gif

Wait, if you were ignoring her how did you see the biscuit?! * squints at you*

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Those biscuits don't look right. Where is the gravy?

LoL. That's the "before" shot, silly. As to the gravy with biscuits & gravy THAT is just as contentious as just feuding about proper biscuits!

I believe this is southern sausage gravy on southern biscuits.

image.png.1966f17c9465b019a9a7f333df8aea98.png 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Just when I'm about to take Seicher off ignore she has to go and post a pic of a mouth watering biscuit. Wait... where the hell is the real butter!?

AUGH! shakefist.gif.cf96e66a0de666a9179b459b38665598.gif

Pix or it didn't happen!!

No.

Wait.

That was another person, another thread.

On second thought, no pix...

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.