What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Ok, "colonials" I can translate, but which sacred sauce have we corrupted? But you're ok with "biscuit"? And zomg... you're someone who puts extra U's into words??? I never noticed. After all this time, I never noticed!

hm... If I'm one of the clueless colonials (and I kinda like that sobriquet) whom you have blocked, does that mean I can write all kinds of taunting posts at you? Post real pictures of real biscuits and boots and fanny packs and... and you'll never notice!? bwahahahaha

traditionalgravy_1283_16x9.jpg.99a4844de3266c55d6ed6c533702187e.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Odaks said:

Here's a peeve. (This was a "peeves" thread wasn't it?)

Worcestershire Sauce has not received a single mention so far.

Its the one essential ingredient that fixes almost anything savoury that "mmm..........needs something".

For the benefit of the Americans:

It's pronounced "Lea & Perrins".

You're welcome.

• Haha 8

4 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

traditionalgravy_1283_16x9.jpg.99a4844de3266c55d6ed6c533702187e.jpg

gravy?

We've messed up gravy? 😞

And, "I'm going to go on a tour of all of the best, traditional foods ever, and I'm gonna start with the best of the lot, with England" said no foodie ever.

Also followed by, "I'm going to go try the most colorful, exotic food ever, and I'm gonna start in Scandinavia!" said no foodie ever.

:p

I think I can hear the "I'm blocking you, mofo" buttons slamming now!  :::smiles sweetly:::

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

It's a texture thing for me... ick, ick, ick. Same with the mushrooms. That texture shouldn't exist. Bananas, too. And I really want to love bananas and that is a peeve of mine. I have tried and tried and tried and just can't do it. 

Bananas have about a 3 hour window of having the right flavor and texture, and then they are yummy. Otherwise... not.

• Like 2

I don't remember who it was who got their knickers in a twist when I derailed this thread over chili (and to be fair, it was in response to someone else's comment about chili), and I can't be arsed to find out (this sentence is proof I've been talking with too many Brits), but this current epic food takeover? I am peeved. Someone owes me an apology, and an ironed pair of knickers.

• Haha 3

I left the Forum to do stuff in RL just then. However. I had to return because I have a real life, honest to god food peeve happening AS WE SPEAK.

Realizing you bought a 10-pack of hot dogs.

And an effing 8-pack of buns.

Efffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

AND and and, why are hotdog buns in New England all split vertically through the top instead of sideways through the middle AS GOD INTENDED?

And YES! This is my classy brunch! Don't judge.

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

The Colonel and his fried ones, yes. And even though it is a big franchise, for whatever reason the KFC around the area where it originated tastes better. The biscuits are way better there, than even not too far away in Cincinnati.

ETA: It is sort of the Guinness effect. Guinness is best in Dublin. The farther away you get, even in Ireland, it just doesn't taste quite as good. The fancy cans in America help, but still doesn't give you the real deal. But I still eat KFC away from KY and still drink Guinness here in the States.

Just documenting who started the food derail in this thread....

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Bananas have about a 3 hour window of having the right flavor and texture, and then they are yummy. Otherwise... not.

Yes when you can suck it out from the skin. 

Edited by Zzevir

2 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I left the Forum to do stuff in RL just then. However. I had to return because I have a real life, honest to god food peeve happening AS WE SPEAK.

Efffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

AND and and, why are hotdog buns in New England all split vertically through the top instead of sideways through the middle AS GOD INTENDED?

And YES! This is my classy brunch! Don't judge.

On the hot dog peeve: People that try to trigger you by saying “A HOTDOG IS A SANDWICH!”

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

gravy?

We've messed up gravy? 😞

And, "I'm going to go on a tour of all of the best, traditional foods ever, and I'm gonna start with the best of the lot, with England" said no foodie ever.

Also followed by, "I'm going to go try the most colorful, exotic food ever, and I'm gonna start in Scandinavia!" said no foodie ever.

😛

I think I can hear the "I'm blocking you, mofo" buttons slamming now!  :::smiles sweetly:::

Don't forget "I'm going to go try elegant, refined, delicious cuisine, and I'm going to start in the nation that gave us Guy Fieri!" said no foodie ever.

• Haha 6

51 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

When I was younger, the above were the only options.  I never knew it changed, since I stopped eating hot dogs many years ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Odaks said:

Here's a peeve. (This was a "peeves" thread wasn't it?)

Worcestershire Sauce has not received a single mention so far.

Its the one essential ingredient that fixes almost anything savoury that "mmm..........needs something".

I MENTIONED IT!!! FFS Along with teriyaki marinade and bbq sauce.

*hairflipflounce*

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AyelaNewLife said:

For the benefit of the Americans:

It's pronounced "Lea & Perrins".

You're welcome.

That what southerners have always called it. Duh. And yes I can say wor-kes-ter-shire sauce.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Well, it may be that Gordon Ramsay is a traitor and a frankophile, but that's just all wrong. British traditional food has plenty of comfort foods and delicacies, Britain was at the forefront of the modernization of food with the introduction of the range. I get that black pudding and eel pie may appear unappealing, but for those of us who enjoy more than 'sweet and creamy' in our diets it's a wonderland compared to the bland, boring, fatty, sugary, starchy cuisine of the US.

The Scandinavian palette certainly isn't the easiest to approach as an outsider, we've salted, smoked, pickled, dried and soured things for the sake of preservation for so long that we don't think twice about serving black pudding in elementary school. It may appear wild and weird, but it's all balanced so that the flavours compliment each other and build off of each other. We like flavour, damn it! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

it's a wonderland compared to the bland, boring, fatty, sugary, starchy cuisine of the US.

The USA is huge. There is no one "cuisine of the US"... heck we have as much, or more regionalisms as any place. There's the far from boring and bland Tex-Mex. There's the "I never met an ingredient that couldn't be fried" deep south, there's... stuff. :::hovers clicky finger over box to block Orwar:::

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Orwar said:

the bland, boring, fatty, sugary, starchy cuisine of the US

Talk about extreme over-generalization.   Have you actually visited every city/town across the entire US?

The US has been referred to as the Melting Pot of the world, with people here from pretty much everywhere else.  Thus our cuisine matches that.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I can say it correctly, but that's no fun. I just call it Rooster Sauce.

When I was a kid I called it Worchester Shire. Got tired of people laughing at me for it without ever telling me wtf was so funny when I asked so I called it Lea & Perrins until my father finally helped me with the correct pronunciation. That was typical of the treatment I received growing up. I was the kid everyone picked on in school.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

The USA is huge. There is no one "cuisine of the US"... heck we have as much, or more regionalisms as any place. There's the far from boring and bland Tex-Mex. There's the "I never met an ingredient that couldn't be fried" deep south, there's... stuff. :::hovers clicky finger over box to block Orwar:::

Okay, so I'm gonna realtalk for a moment here.

Yes, the US is large (and not just the people!) and culturally diverse. So are a great many other places. The idea that it's okay to mush the vast range of culture or even just food available in the UK, or in Scandinavia, into one lump and yet get defensive about the variety on offer in the states... it's kinda laughable. This cuts both ways or not at all.

But we're all just joking around, so it's all gucci.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Talk about extreme over-generalization.   Have you actually visited every city/town across the entire US?

The US has been referred to as the Melting Pot of the world, with people here from pretty much everywhere else.  Thus our cuisine matches that.

They won't ever admit it but Brits eat some really strange stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.