The "We know it so well we think others know it" Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I've mentioned this in other threads: Awesome keyboard camera controls:

Alt-click your target, then:

• ALT+ arrow = Rotate around / Move forward and backward
  • ALT+CTRL - Rotate around / Rotate up and down
  • ALT+CTRL+SHIFT Crab (slide) left and right / up and down

Many years ago now, Chosen Few created a wonderfully clear visual aid to illustrate how this works, whether you use arrow keys or your mouse with a left-click.  Chosen left SL back in 2013, but I have found his graphic useful in explaining camera control to new users many times.

f_SLcameraconm_43a804a.jpg.447df400e8f53a7f9254c484c0afb5ff.jpg

Those simple controls beat the snot out of the silly camera widget that you get by typing Me (or Avatar ) >>> Camera Controls ... in the viewer.  :)

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If anyone is interested, FS has both styles of menus. You don't even have to take my word for it. This comes straight from the lead dev (in 2011):

Why? Because people have personal preferences and it was better to include both so that everyone who uses the viewer has the option. It's all about options. I'm just glad the dev team understood/understand just how important options are to SL residents, since LL doesn't seem to get that options are what people want. I hope they (FS devs) never decide that giving us options is more trouble than it's worth and we end up with zero options.

Yes, yes. The *default* is the pie, though I have had mine set to "normal" drop-menu style for some time now. :)

2 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

When you have no idea what 'non-imposter avatars' are and assume everyone else is the same.

I allow 12 of them into my SL world. They've never introduced themselves, as far as I know.

Ever been in a club where people on the edges look like bits of paper and they start moving real slow, only doing 10% of the animation in huge jerks? That's an imposter.

Imposters... jerk around a lot.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Ever been in a club where people on the edges look like bits of paper and they start moving real slow, only doing 10% of the animation in huge jerks? That's an imposter.

Imposters... jerk around a lot.

imposters are more fun with bento riding horses... Even the Lab's own horse does not work well on an imposter

On 12/12/2018 at 12:30 PM, Alyona Su said:

I've mentioned this in other threads: Awesome keyboard camera controls:

Alt-click your target, then:

• ALT+ arrow = Rotate around / Move forward and backward
  • ALT+CTRL - Rotate around / Rotate up and down

There are some alternative camera controls i use that are more convenient to use with arrow keys

Alt Gr + arrow = pan around up/down/left/right
Alt Gr + Ctrl (you only need to press briefly) + arrow  = left/right pan and zoom in/out 

6 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

There are some alternative camera controls i use that are more convenient to use with arrow keys

Alt Gr + arrow = pan around up/down/left/right
Alt Gr + Ctrl (you only need to press briefly) + arrow  = left/right pan and zoom in/out 

Wot is "Gr"? 

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Wot is "Gr"? 

On my keyboard:
• Next to the left side of the space bar there is ALT-key.
• Next to the right side of the space bar there is ALTGR-key. (On the key it's labeled as ALT, but it indeed is ALTGR-key.)

ALTGR-key has the same function as holding down the ALT+CTRL keys has.

Windows-keyboard.jpg.327472afb66ad18f38881c3ddb3962aa.jpg

Edited by Coby Foden
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

On my keyboard:
• Next to the right side of the space bar there is ALTGR-key. (On the key it's labeled as ALT, but it indeed is ALTGR-key.)

Ooo!  I never knew that.  In all these years that I have had keyboards with that key, I don't think I have ever used it, but I always assumed that it was just a spare ALT key.  (God only knows why anyone would need more than one.)

18 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

On my keyboard:

Windows-keyboard.jpg.327472afb66ad18f38881c3ddb3962aa.jpg

That sounds like a third-party keyboard, akin to a "gaming mouse" with 25 buttons on it.  But based on other peoples' replies, maybe that is what that key is!  LOL :) (WHO taps the ALT key on the right side of the keyboard!?)  Hahahaha!

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

Just now, moirakathleen said:

On my keyboard, using either ALT key works the same, and I don't get the functionality that I would get from ALT+CTRL from using the other ALT key (that was pointed out as ALTGR) 

I am suspecting it is something exclusive to Europe. Unless you are in Europe then that idea goes poof. :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I'm not in Europe, so that could be. 

Neither am I anymore.  Oh wait, we are?  We aren't?  We're out?  We're in?  Who knows anymore, will I have to give my laptop back after we leave because it has a ALT-GR key?  Ok sorry for the slight political divert.  You can spank me later :D 

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

48 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Ooo!  I never knew that.  In all these years that I have had keyboards with that key, I don't think I have ever used it, but I always assumed that it was just a spare ALT key.  (God only knows why anyone would need more than one.)

I do occasionally have to use that particular key in a game or two but I never knew it had a specific function other than as a second alt key. 

I wonder what the GR stands for. :S

oooooooh! Now I know. :$ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key

Edited by Selene Gregoire

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I do occasionally have to use that particular key in a game or two but I never knew it had a specific function other than as a second alt key. 

I wonder what the GR stands for. :S

oooooooh! Now I know. :$ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key

I want an AltGr key now

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I want an AltGr key now

OK, here is how you get one from any old KB.... 😂

1. First create an ALT
  2. Upload your old keyboard as KB
  3. Add KB to your ALT
  4. Type Alt+A+Alt+L+Alt+T+/1 GR

Be sure to you do the above correct, else you just end with Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.