You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I really wish people would keep RL issues out of second life. It's an avatar... it's not that damn serious.

Having an African or having an African America avatar isn't offensive and it's not blackface. 

I know a few black females in second life who have white avatars, latino avatars they use for blogging.

At the end of the day, this isn't REAL LIFE people.. this is second life... a damn virtual world. Please keep RL issues out of second life.. 

Next thing you know people are gonna start ragging about elf avatar, werewolves, etc.

This is a fantasy world where you can be anything you wanna be. This is not real life. stop it.

Edited by Minx Kurosawa
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Phorumities said:
43 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

In most cases your concern is moot, as both races are equally qualified for the position. Filling a quota by choosing the black person only attempts to redress the reality of past injustices directed toward a minority -- injustices that hampered the black person in their attempt to progress with the comparitive ease most whites enjoyed. A less-qualified person is seldom chosen.

The excessive preoccupation with a black person not being the best choice is prejudice.

It's not possible to address past injustices by giving preferential treatment to someone today.

Blacks are disproportionally poor in the U.S., and this is due to the injustice levied against them by those who held the reins of power and the economic status this confers.  Giving them a leg up in terms of job prospects alleviates this to a degree.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Blacks are disproportionally poor in the U.S., and this is due to the injustice levied against them by those who held the reins of power and the economic status this confers.  Giving them a leg up in terms of job prospects alleviates this to a degree.

I'm not letting you get away with these feel good generalities. Post some stats please, and be sure to include stats that show how many middle and upper class Blacks there are in America.

I bet you won't admit that Blacks are reaping the benefits of Trumps revival of the economy just as much as Whites are.

America’s first black billionaire says Trump economy has been good for African Americans

BET founder Robert L. Johnson, America’s first black billionaire, said during a CNBC appearance on Friday that black Americans should be encouraged by the growing economy under President Trump.

“Something is going right,” said Johnson, owner and chairman of Bethesda-based asset management firm RLJ Companies.

He cited the December jobs report showing that unemployment among black workers was at its lowest since the Labor Department began tracking the data in 1972.

"You have to take encouragement from what's happening in the labor force and the job market," Johnson said. "When you look at African American unemployment, in over 50 years since the Bureau of Labor Statistics has been keeping the numbers, you've never had two things: African American unemployment this low and the spread between unemployment among whites and African Americans narrowing.

“That absolutely means the jobs market is soliciting employees who have been out of the labor force, some of it just based on discrimination, some of it based on changes in education, access and technology changes,” he continued. “And so when you look at that, you have to say something is going right.”

Johnson praised the current U.S. business environment, “if you take into account the Trump tax cut,” he said. “I believe the economy is on a strong growth path.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/04/07/americas-first-black-billionaire-says-trump-economy-benefits-black-americans/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a4fb3ee1616b

• Like 1

I have the stats to back my thoughts up, but I didn't get them from Sean Hannity or the like as you often do.

I don't want to talk about this anymore though, as this is about Avatars & race. I shouldn't respond to you but I do sometimes  --  I just can't bear to see how your ideology hurts marginalized groups so much. It pains me to my core to witness such stupidity and begs me to correct you, but I need to ignore you.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I have the stats to back my thoughts up, but I didn't get them from Sean Hannity or the like as you often do.

I don't want to talk about this anymore though, as this is about Avatars & race. I shouldn't respond to you but I do sometimes because I can't bear to see how your ideology hurts marginalized groups so much. It pains me to my core to witness such stupidity and begs me to correct you, but I need to ignore you.

LOL I know, you only quote leftist sources. Yes please ignore me, It will save me having to read your dross

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It's already happened.  We had to deal with someone screaming about "racism against Furries" just this week.

*sigh*

Butbutbut.... it's true! *sob* I get treated so bad by those NASTY BIMBO HUMANS, with their FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER butts and boobs hanging out!

Edited by Kai Lyvingstone
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

I can't remember the exact words that lead up to this, but he said I shouldn't make a black avatar because I am white in RL.

Is he also one of these people that thinks the only acceptable use of Second Life is as a 3D interactive Facebook, where everyone needs to have real life pictures in their profile and voice/cam/coffee date upon request lest they get accused of being a teenage boy?

Also, can you at least wait til we hit page 5 before politicsbombing a thread? God damn

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Kai Lyvingstone said:

Butbutbut.... it's true! *sob* I get treated so bad by those NASTY BIMBO HUMANS, with their FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER butts and boobs hanging out!

You're going to need to fill out this form before you can flounce. Gotta make it all official and stuff, ya know.

f2285902318067212ca910e8bee598e5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That article was a very clear and simple explanation.  I first heard this term a few years ago when my daughter was telling me about a very lengthy and heated discussion on this topic in the regional moms FB group she belongs to.

In terms of SL, I think the key is to avoid stereotypes (especially obvious ones) and to be respectful in how you use items (be it clothing or furnishings or practices) that belong to a different tradition or race than your own.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

That article was a very clear and simple explanation.  I first heard this term a few years ago when my daughter was telling me about a very lengthy and heated discussion on this topic in the regional moms FB group she belongs to.

In terms of SL, I think the key is to avoid stereotypes (especially obvious ones) and to be respectful in how you use items (be it clothing or furnishings or practices) that belong to a different tradition or race than your own.  

This. Precisely this. All of the bolded.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Guess  I won't be going out to the Mexican restaurant for dinner tonight.

My favourite part of that article is how they used tea, one of the foundations of the East India Company, as an example of "acceptable cultural exchange with no power imbalance". Orbital sides.

Edited by AyelaNewLife
formatting is hard
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phorumities said:
2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Guess  I won't be going out to the Mexican restaurant for dinner tonight.

I'm not one of the regulars here that doesn't automatically blow off or dismiss everything you say just because it is you.  However, your statement here shows that you either didn't really read the article or didn't understand it or are just attempting to be sarcastic.

On the off chance that you or someone else doesn't fully understand this part -- going out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant would typically fall under "Cultural Exchange/Sharing".  Unless you decided to dress up in some sort of silly stereotyped Mexican outfit and act in a manner that is definitely just stereotype behavior.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm not one of the regulars here that doesn't automatically blow off or dismiss everything you say just because it is you.  However, your statement here shows that you either didn't really read the article or didn't understand it or are just attempting to be sarcastic.

On the off chance that you or someone else doesn't fully understand this part -- going out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant would typically fall under "Cultural Exchange/Sharing".  Unless you decided to dress up in some sort of silly stereotyped Mexican outfit and act in a manner that is definitely just stereotype behavior.

To be honest  I didn't read it until after someone else commented on the tea thing.

Also, I never go out to Mexican restaurants.

10 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

I used a Japanese/East Asian-looking skin (DrLife) for a long time (not to mention a Japanese first name), and I'm not the least bit Japanese irl. Japanese friends thought it was pretty and had no issue with it.  In fact they were mostly blonde & blue eyed. Be what you think looks nice :)

yes so many japanese residents go for that blonde look. Everyone can be who they want to be in SL.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Start? How long have you been here, Minx?!

One thing that really annoys me about (other) people in here is how they will deliberately misread what you wrote, or put their own spin on it to try and score points. And then before you can correct them YET AGAIN the thread gets locked.

Edited by Phorumities
aded a word

1 minute ago, Phorumities said:

One thing that really annoys me about people in here is how they will deliberately misread what you wrote, or put their own spin on it to try and score points. And then before you can correct them YET AGAIN the thread gets locked.

Like you did with my post.

• Like 1

A charged issue.

So, no one should be a fury because it is insulting like Fury-Face? Seriously? I am Asian, I have an Asian avatar. But I also had a Caucasian avatar for years - does that mean I was  "trans-racing" all that time? Seriously? I also have a black look. The only reason is that I find black women beautiful (and the same with pretty much all races). If anyone has 'problems' with any of that then they have personal issues they should probably see a professional about.

So ban me.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.