You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

33 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Don't you believe it. There are plenty of threads locked these days when there hasn't been any flaming or anything negative of any kind. People have even been suspended from both here and SL itself without breaking any forum rules/guidelines. It's can be really idiotic here at times.

tsk tsk Phil you commented on moderator behavour... see ya in a week or so

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I have one like that. I'm struggling to remember what is now but if isn't stfu it's something very similar. I've looked it up a number of times, but I never remember what it means when I see it.

RTFM maybe?

The one I seem to Google more than anything is AFAIK

32 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe, if when the mods check in, we are all in a drum circle or holding hands singing “Kumbayah”, nothing will happen.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

RTFM maybe?

The one I seem to Google more than anything is AFAIK

I don't remember coming across RTFM before but I do like it.

I've never had a problem understanding AFAIK, afaik. :)

I shouldn't have a problem remembering STFU, because it's so straight forward, but I do - every time. I read it as 'stuff you', but I know it's not that, and then I can't remember what it means. I know right now because I've looked it up again.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

With my comment to Phor & Kanry I was speaking to racial injustice and not Trans injustice.

I have a hard time thinking someone who constantly brags about using Confederate flags (in both RL & SL) has any sympathy for blacks, knowing how this causes pain for blacks, especially those who live in the south. P is only concerned about P in this instance with his right to wave a flag. I won't go into detail about P's banning over using derogatory names to denote blacks, but yes for sure I can't comprehend that P sees or understands racial oppression in the least.

I see from your comment that YOU believe in minimal government, and believe there is ample evidence that government involvment and reckless advocacy don't help though. And from other threads I noted that you aren't particularly fond of social movements too (you've expressed doubt these movements tactics help due to the backlashes). I hope you don't set me on fire for real when I tell you that I think the reason you aren't fond of groups that fight oppression or really understand them is PARTIALLY because you've never experienced enough oppression to feel a need for it.

The thing is, who decides what is reckless advocacy, and where is your ample evidence that government involvement never helps the situation? My impression is that it works to a degree, kind of reins in those who are basically lemmings, possibly makes them behave enough due to the punishment that would ensue if blacks are lynched on the streets as in times past. This is possibly the best we can hope for, and I'll accept the collateral damage.
But government affecting a change of heart? Probably not. However if enough people in society see that others view racial slurs and oppression against blacks as wrong and so there's far less of it, does that matter if they aren't able to create a true change of heart in everyone?

Where did I say I believe in minimal government?
Where did I say government involvement never helps the situation?
Where did I say I'm not fond of social movements?

I've highlighted (and changed a word) your post to show, in red, where you have made errors, and in green to show what I've said ( hope!). And in purple, I've highlighted a case of your taking a position that is consistent with that I've said and believe, but not what you claim I believe. There can be ample evidence of government intervention not helping coincident with evidence of it working to a degree. I can actually hardly tell which is the worse condemnation of government involvement, ample evidence it hasn't helped, or evidence that it has worked to a degree.

It's interesting that you, like others here in the forum, are more certain of what I think than I am. You may have imagined a dragon where there is only a devil's advocate.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Phorumities said:

there is no systemic racism or oppression in america.

I wonder how your purported absence of systemic racism will manifest itself in the world of AI...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2018/02/26/artificial-intelligence-ai-bias-google/#350b95e61a01
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2166207-discriminating-algorithms-5-times-ai-showed-prejudice/

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

9 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ah, so many things are fuzzily defined. “I may not be able to explain _______, but I know one when I see one.”

It often works that way. This is an interesting time, when people with a grasp of the power of fear can warp perceptions in the blink of a Tweet. History takes a longer, more dispassionate view... except for the revisionists! (Again, I may have just said nothing.)

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Unfortunately, skin color is an easy identifier. If the demographics in your police precinct show that the majority of violent crime is committed by people of color, it's hard to determine whether the bias your police officers will have is racial or rational.

This isn't easy stuff to parse.

i know quite a few police officers thru my own work. Two are in my circle of close friends. One is a detective now and the other is in community outreach. When they both joined the police they were posted to South Auckland. What they found the hardest to deal with as new police officers, was that a significant proportion of offences were committed by people of color in this area of the city. They found that without the training and psychological supervision provided, that it was really easy to succumb to the cynical view that people of color as a body were deficient in some way - even when they as officers knew that the rate of offending was not disproportionate to the local population and was consistent with other population centers. As was mentioned: When the courtroom is dark then the whole world is dark

one of my friends had another issue on top of this. His own embarrassment at the rate of offending by members of his own iwi/tribe. It troubled him quite a lot this when he first started. It  affected his judgment as a new police officer fresh out of police college. He said that without the training and support provided by the police he would have given up 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

It often works that way. This is an interesting time, when people with a grasp of the power of fear can warp perceptions in the blink of a Twitter post. History takes a longer, more dispassionate view... except for the revisionists! (Again, I may have just said nothing.)

Yes, I was thinking about history vs. nothing/oblivion..

I propose that the shift in “whose view won” may take the shape of a bell or similar curve. In the years after the “win”, the victor’s view is in the ascendant. Whether or not this is eventually seen to be true or false, as the event fades into antiquity, the details will become fuzzy - all that is left is stories, with  less and less “hard” evidence for historians to build a case one way or the other, unless new discoveries are made.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

legally recognised ethnic minority and I see the problems first hand that doesnt stop me believing that a lot of those that play the racism card do it inappropriately either as a way to block debate or to progress their own career

The former is usually done by the middle class virtue signalling sjw type that is intent of showing how "right on" they are and add nothing but noise before they swan off back to their mostly middle class white neighbourhoods. This perhaps wrongly is how you come across to me.

I said it before and I say it again, I believe in equality, I just reject the idea that we shouldn't discuss issues within individual communities and their impact and to do so in inherently racist.

am not sure what you mean by legally recognised ethnic minority. Legally recognised by who ?  The government ? The ethnic registration board ? 

when we know who we are, where we are from, who our family is, what our whakapapa/lineage is then we need no other recognition. Nobody can certify us but ourselves thru knowing who we are

we can claim to be of a people, we can even get a DNA test to show we are of the blood - to show what we are. But if we don't know who we are also then what we are is unimportant. Unimportant by our choice - settling only for knowing what we are

about the white middle class. Is not lots of them who do what you say. Is only a few who use the championing of the oppressed for their own personal advancement. Most, the overwhelmingly most, have a genuine desire to learn about and understand the issues that ethnic minorities face in the shared society. And take what they do learn back to their people of the majority and impart this to them. And I encourage people to continue doing this

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 3:49 PM, Luna Bliss said:

There is an effort by the elite to control the masses, I agree. But it is not being done by some onslaught of 'political correctness' designed to control our minds and take away our innate sense of right or wrong. People who have been marginalized are finally coming into power and asserting their rights, no longer content to be relegated to 2nd class status. Supporters are deciding it's impolite to laugh at them in public, and they are believing marginalized people should be given the rights that all enjoy. So they are saying NO to the remaining idiots who want to keep the minorities down. THAT is what you are calling 'political correctness'.

No... there are very organized efforts to pull America apart.

You can sort through the real and wacko, but this list starts here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=organized+political+attacks+on+America&t=h_&ia=news

The published plans are here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=communist+plan+for+over+throwing+countries&t=h_&ia=web These are not the only plans. The playbook adopted by many radicals is the Rules for Radicals.

As an exercise in thinking... compare the various plans with the DNC Party Platform. Also, notice the things in the plans that call for destroying a people's morality and hiding their history.

The idea that there are groups that want to keep minorities down has been a part of American culture since the founding. They are still around. The movie Death of a Nation drives it home revealing historical documents and ideas of which most people are unaware. If someone is telling you the movie is a propaganda piece, get the book and use the bibliography to verify the accuracy what is being told.

I'm not sure how to read "THAT is what you are calling 'political correctness'." Are you agreeing PC is used to hold people back and manipulate people?

#WalkAway, #RedPill, #GreatAwakening ... 

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IvyLarae said:

No, you kinda showed your true colors when you seen I simply edited the main post with more info once I realized I still had the logs lol

time for a frozen interlude I think

Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone
Here I stand in the light of day
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.