Viewer Keeps Freezing

RavenEmmaRiddle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Evening guys! So this is my first time on the forums, and I come bearing bad news. I come to log into the SL Viewer and it works fine for about ten to fifteen minutes. I've done virus checks, cleaned up my PC and all that jazz. I am running Windows 10. Any advice as to what I should do?

Stephanie xxx

You aren't very clear about your difficulty.

Do you mean it locks up entirely, or that it freezes for a half-second then unfreezes (which is annoying). I had this problem. You know what the amazing fix was? Replace my mouse. Yes, it was a really old mouse that was going bad.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@RavenEmmaRiddle When asking a tech question use the viewer's HELP->About... to get us the tech info we need. Paste it in with your question. 

Freeze... there are lots of different kinds of freezing in the SL viewers. Viewer freezes - never recovers, or recovers after a a few minutes or seconds, or freezes for <1 second. Or freezes the entire computer.

Until we have more info, there are too many possible issues to start listing them.

To do more on your own get the free tool CPUID HDMonitor. Check of overheating. Look to see if the GPU and/or CPU are hitting 100% use. You can use the Windows Task Manager and Resource Monitor to see what your computer is doing when the viewer freezes.

• Like 1

My apologies in advance if this isn't the right forum, I have three headaches simultaneously from my unsuccessful search for an answer. Thank you Google for the how to freeze bread link, but that's not what I asked for.

Whenever I go to edit an object, my viewer will freeze for about 4-6 seconds. every time this happens, I see a little text box hovering somewhere near the object that simply says 'edit'.

I am a builder and mesh creator and this is driving me absolutely mad. When I'm building, stuff move rapidly as things are being created, I don't have time for these momentary life reflections by my edit tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated it. Btw, I'm on the latest FS release (again, I apologies if this isn't the place for that), I have a great gaming desktop with plenty of power and resources to handle this and virtually anything else I have running, never had any other issues here or with other programs.

Thanks!

I've had that issue also.... long time ago.

I think the only way I fixed it was a fresh install of the viewer - it's not just cache, but also how fragmented stuff gets over time. Maybe try that - disk tools and optimize the disk?

It began right after the last update, others I know are outright crashing, not freezing, just poof. I'll try the fresh install and see, that may fix it. Otherwise, they say their updates will come out every 3 months or so, we'll see then. Thank you for your response :)

@RavynHunterDefinitely, do a clean install. They even "strongly recommend it". And they also mention that this is a *major* update, so I'm not surprised you may be experiencing difficulties. Note: I am not in any official capacity related to Firestorm, just an experienced user. So if this doesn't work you may want to contact their support people.

It's important to note that to do a "clean install" of Firestorm, you need to do some manually uninstalling part of it.

Here are the Firestorm "Clean Install" instructions:

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_install

Edited by Alyona Su

10 hours ago, RavynHunter said:

Whenever I go to edit an object, my viewer will freeze for about 4-6 seconds.

I have similar problems and also getting stuck in animations all the time. I did some tests:

• The problem only occurs in Second Life, not on the OS Grid
  • The problem occurs with all viewers I tested:
    • Second Life Release 5.1.2.512803 (64bit)
    • Firestorm 5.0.7 (52912)
    • Firestorm 5.0.11 (53634)
    • Singularity Viewer 1.8.6 (6157)
  • The problem is directly related to the amount of mesh in the surroundings. A few examples:
    • At Celebes, an old sim with only prim and sculpt builds, I had no such lag at all
    • Sandbox Verenda and Mesh Sandbox 3 on the beta grid were both almost empty except for a few mesh items scattered about and I got occasional ping time peaks up in the 500 ms range.
    • When I visited Second Norway, my fps stayed between 5,000 and 20,000 ms and I also had packet loss in the 2-3% range. That surprised me a bit since that is mostly an ld style prim build but there was a party going on there with about 30 mesh avatars and some of the buildings turned out to be full of heavy mesh furniture.

Unless things have changed recently, mesh is handled by the CDN network while prims are still handled by SL's own server, so I believe this is a CDN problem. That would also explain why only some people have it of course, since we're connected to different CDN nodes.

Edited by ChinRey

On 27.3.2018 at 12:21 AM, ChinRey said:

Unless things have changed recently, mesh is handled by the CDN network while prims are still handled by SL's own server, so I believe this is a CDN problem.

I have to reply to my own post because it's too late to edit it. It turns out everything is handled by CDN now so I was wrong. However, Beq Janus suggested I should try to reduce the bandwidth settings in my preferences. That seemed a bit styrange to me but I tried it and so far it seems to have worked.

What i've found is this - the heavier the traffic in a particular land parcel and the more prims in objects, the more lag/freezing you get. Put the two together and you can expect major lag/freezing events. Unfortunately, this has been the case since my first avi in 2007/08 (and probably existed before that) and every single update to servers and viewers has failed to remedy this. So, in part it is SL but it also in part on the individual land parcel developers.

On 27 March 2018 at 11:53 PM, ChinRey said:

However, Beq Janus suggested I should try to reduce the bandwidth settings in my preferences. That seemed a bit styrange to me but I tried it and so far it seems to have worked.

Yeah...

High viewer bandwidth settings is a classic "Leet Gamerz Thumb-Typing MMOFPSRPG 'Max Mah Settins Fur Leet FPS' Console Peasant" error...

Viewer Bandwidth has ZERO to do with downloading textures or mesh or sounds or other content, it's a throttle on the rate of handshaking data between client and server, high values cause your viewer to spend more time chatting with the server by the coffee machine, and less time doing what you want, downloading content via CDN and rezzing stuff...

Less is More...

500-1000 Range depending on how "Gamerz Leet" your rig is...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wanted to give y'all an update. First, I backed up settings, I then tried virtually all of the above suggestions, (not the clear cache every day part, sorry :D) clean install, cleared cache location (once), messed with the settings, turned down all graphics, disabled shaders, took draw distance to 32, changed computers, worked in a virtually mesh free environment, even stripped off my AO, closed all HUDs, removed all attachments etc etc etc. The problem persisted, no change whatsoever.

Logged in with the SL viewer, not one problem! Yay, but not yay because I like my FS. So I was resigned to the fact I would have to live with this, whatever the heck it is freeze thing.

So there I was, many days later after having restored my settings, minding my own business building something, and, POOF! I have never seen my viewer shut down so fast , ever!  OMG right?

I'm seriously freaking out as I signed back on FS, deathly afraid I was hacked or something because it took several attempts to sign back in. Finally, I see myself with my pants on my head, hair attached to my hip and my brain floating freely above it all. Whew, what a lovely site! All my invo is there and I still have all my linden, yay!

Everything is fine except everything on my FS viewer has gone back to default. Pfft, no big deal, I put it all back and GENTLY rezzed a prim. Went to edit and all was good. No freeze. Uploaded and rezzed some mesh, no freeze. Logged off then back on, rezzed, deleted, rezplat, the whole shebang. No problems at all.

I have NO idea what happened or how it corrected itself, but it did. Thank you to all of you who responded, I really do appreciate it!

Edited by RavynHunter
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

i've just installed this onto my new laptop today it's an intel i7 8th generation  1.8-4.6ghz but i notice this is running around 2.5 to 3ghz rate it has 32gb ram but doesn't really run, i'm 4g mobile data only  what is going on my laptop should be able to play this,  i have onboard graphics i dont know if its that but none of 

Edited by Alien Blogger

• 1 month later...
Just now, JaelPikalo said:

I am new here to, but the viewer gets stuck comletely. I have to reboot my pc to get it running again. And next to that my internet security did suddenly not work at all anymore. This is no fun anymore... How to prevent this sort of things?

Open the viewer - Don't log in.  Go to HELP - ABOUT  and paste all the details here.  That will help someone try and diagnose your issues

• Like 1

Second Life Release 6.3.6.535003 (64bit)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (1992 MHz)
Memory: 7614 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18363.592)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) 530

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 25.20.100.6576
OpenGL Version: 4.2.13476 Compatibility Profile Context 22.19.128.0

Window size: 1920x1001
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 3000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 4
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: February 09 2020 07:43:47

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
February 09 2020 07:44:55

2 hours ago, JaelPikalo said:

I am new here to, but the viewer gets stuck comletely. I have to reboot my pc to get it running again. And next to that my internet security did suddenly not work at all anymore. This is no fun anymore... How to prevent this sort of things?

What product are you using for internet security?

Reboot your router - waiting a solid minute between turning it off and turning it back on. 

Try dropping your bandwidth - start at 1500 and then play around with a bit to see if you can find a value that helps.  It used to be that anything higher than 1500 was unstable, but I don't know if that is still true or not.  You can change that via Preferences before actually logging in.

Next time you log in, immediately press Ctrl + Shift + 1 to open the Statistics panel.  Watch the numbers for Packet Loss and Ping Sim.  You need Packet Loss to be 0 or very close to that -- things like 0.01 are fine.  For Ping Sim, the lower the better - best is less than 100 ms, but I think you are fine up to roughly 200 or so.

Also, when the viewer was last "stuck", did it actually lock the entire PC up?  If not, if it happens again, you can try to kill the process via the Task Manager - if Windows 10, right click in the task bar area and select Task Manager.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

What product are you using for internet security?

Try dropping your bandwidth - start at 1500 and then play around with a bit to see if you can find a value that helps.  It used to be that anything higher than 1500 was unstable, but I don't know if that is still true or not.  You can change that via Preferences before actually logging in.

Next time you log in, immediately press Ctrl + Shift + 1 to open the Statistics panel.  Watch the numbers for Packet Loss and Ping Sim.  You need Packet Loss to be 0 or very close to that -- things like 0.01 are fine.  For Ping Sim, the lower the better - best is less than 100 ms, but I think you are fine up to roughly 200 or so.

Also, when the viewer was last "stuck", did it actually lock the entire PC up?  If not, if it happens again, you can try to kill the process via the Task Manager - if Windows 10, right click in the task bar area and select Task Manager.

I use AVG Ultimate for internet security.  I have reïnstalled it and now it is working fine again.

Dropping bandwidth is an option I will surely try. Have changed it in Preferences.

My packet loss is 0.5%.. Do not know how to change it..

Yes, when it get stuck, all gets stuck,  I had to stop the programm in the task manager. And then restart the whole pc. Afterwards I need to reïnstall the programm to get it working again.

Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, JaelPikalo said:

I use AVG Ultimate for internet security.  I have reïnstalled it and now it is working fine again.

Dropping bandwidth is an option I will surely try. Have changed it in Preferences.

My packet loss is 0.5%.. Do not know how to change it..

Yes, when it get stuck, all gets stuck,  I had to stop the programm in the task manager. And then restart the whole pc. Afterwards I need to reïnstall the programm to get it working again.

Thanks for the help.

The 0.5% packet loss is low enough that it shouldn't be an issue.  Not to mention that all a packet loss problem *should* really cause is a disconnect, not a full freeze.  The freeze sounds familiar, but I'm drawing a blank so will do a bit of searching.

One thing -- if you have not whitelisted the SL Viewer from your AVG, definitely do that.  You do not want it constantly scanning the SL Cache and other folders.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

On 3/29/2018 at 10:44 AM, Klytyna said:

Yeah...

High viewer bandwidth settings is a classic "Leet Gamerz Thumb-Typing MMOFPSRPG 'Max Mah Settins Fur Leet FPS' Console Peasant" error...

Viewer Bandwidth has ZERO to do with downloading textures or mesh or sounds or other content, it's a throttle on the rate of handshaking data between client and server, high values cause your viewer to spend more time chatting with the server by the coffee machine, and less time doing what you want, downloading content via CDN and rezzing stuff...

Less is More...

500-1000 Range depending on how "Gamerz Leet" your rig is...

would be nice, being 2020 and all, that the viewer can be coded to handle client/server communication with zero user manual input. Like, I dunno, streaming content, youtube, netflix, etc.. etc.... lol

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.