Mesh...Bento...??

Myra Irelund

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I just came back to SL after about a 3 year break. Im trying to look into all the mesh heads and shapes and whatnot but am getting a bit overwhelmed. Does a head need to be Bento? Can I just buy a mesh head that wont cost me a fortune?

If I can't afford anything right now does anyone at all still offer system shapes? I recall spending like $L2000 on amazing shapes from LAQ.

Im looking for a bit of a change.

I know your pain. I've been gone a couple years and it practically feels like a mesh body is mandatory. I'd suggest you shop around a bit first, no two things are alike (5000l for duck lips? Seriously). I've been kinda scrimping and saving myself. Speaking of heads, I'd suggest a Utilizator 'Normie' head.

• Thanks 1

A while back now, LL added new bones/rig points to the system Avatar. That's Bento, and what it means is that creators now have extra points they can stick things to. This means we can now have things like animated fingers and mesh heads that can be modified with the regular shaped sliders. The old mesh heads could not be edited pretty much at all. The new Bento mesh heads work with most of the shape sliders so you can customize your look drastically. They also animate better, since they can be animated with things like mocap instead of frame by frame. There is, however, nothing wrong with the older mesh heads that are cheaper. If you find one that you like out of the box and don't want to change, you can absolutely still use it or stick with a system head.

The shape system is still essentially the same. You can create your own shape easily by manipulating the sliders in edit appearance mode, as usual. If you'd like to wear a mesh body, it, too, can be manipulated with the shapes sliders, and unlike with mesh heads, the only thing Bento that matters is if they include Bento hands ( so the fingers move if you have an animation that allows it). Many mesh bodies do, and there isn't a price difference.

Edited by Ariel Vuissent

11 hours ago, Myra Irelund said:

So I just came back to SL after about a 3 year break. Im trying to look into all the mesh heads and shapes and whatnot but am getting a bit overwhelmed. Does a head need to be Bento? Can I just buy a mesh head that wont cost me a fortune?

Yes but think about it a little bit.

Most of the mesh heads on the market today - Bento or not - do not look better than a really well set up system head. TMP may be an exception there but it comes with so many other issues you probably don't want to deal with.

The advantage of mesh heads is that you can get more facial expressions but you really need Bento for that.

Welcome Back. There are some  low budget  bento mesh heads too like LOGO, GA.EG ect. think of it as a 1 time investment, since its bento you can change the face shape with sliders to mold it to your liking. Also you can create many different faces by applying different skin appliers. Just make sure to DEMO everything before you buy.

Edited by Jeny Howlett

For inexpensive heads, Jenna and one other he made are Bento and 999L. Mayreal also has several heads at 1999L though that one is a bit more complicated. The others run between 3 and 5 K Linden. I'd suggest you get demos and look for when the AK group is open and join that and join the LAQ subscribomatic. AK tends to have her new heads for free for one month when she releases one for her group members and LAQ discounts hers to 500L for a few days with a new release.

For mesh bods, Slink, Maitreya, Belleza or Tonic. The Belleza doesn't have the Bento hands yet. Slink hands are separate and are Bento ready. Maitreya and the Tonic Fine both come with Bento hands and with feet that adjust to flat, mid and high.The Tonic and Maitreya are very similar. For the most part, the Tonic can easily wear the Maitreya sized clothes. The biggest difference is price.

Remember that demos are your best friend and you're going to want to get the Omega applier kit for whichever body and head you get. Omega is a system that allows creators of skins, makeup and clothing based on the system clothing that be applied to the body and head.

Good luck and welcome back.

Edited by Bobbie Faulds

You can certainly find a good mesh head for a reasonable price, as others have pointed out here, but what you really need is a head that suits your style. If you expect it to last a few years then you have to be really happy with it and price becomes not so important in the long run. A head that you stop wearing after a few months because it no longer feels like you or doesn't do what you want is a wasted investment of time, money and emotions. So demo all the quality (i.e. Bento + Omega) heads that you like the look of, and narrow it down to a shortlist. And don't rule out the option of sticking with your system head, which can often be made really nice with good choices of shape/skin/hair/makeup. Then decide what suits you best.

In case you're interested, in my profile picture here I'm wearing my Normie head from Utilizator, costing 500 L$. I have never spent any money on a shape, since it is so easy to create them ourselves.

Edited by angeoco

I joined a while ago for the first time, but luckily i had someone there to help. best thing you can do about going mesh is demo EVERYTHING. Don't just get something because its popular, get it cause you like it. You can't know if you like something better then something else if you don't try everything you can. with mesh bodys i have all sorts but in general (for my human avs at least) the heads i use are lelutka simone and utilizator normie. I'd suggest those but i won't tell you to buy them if you don't like them.

23 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Most of the mesh heads on the market today - Bento or not - do not look better than a really well set up system head

This is probably a matter of taste :)

I agree that a really well made system head can still look very nice. But it is quite hard to make a really well made one. Its not only the shape, but the textures of skin/makeup/shadows and the attachments like lashes, jewelry, even hair, it all fits less perfect. Still, sometimes you see a system head that requires a second look to see its actually non mesh.

IMO a system head can still be very nice when you put a lot of effort in, but you are very limited in your options while for mesh/bento new stuff is developed continuously.

49 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

This is probably a matter of taste :)

Noooo!!!!!! :P

Joke aside, I was trying to provoke a little bit of course because it seems to me there are a lot of people who simply take it for granted that a mesh head is better without really reflecting on it.

But I do actually believe that if you show people an avatar with a mesh head and one with a well designed system head and make sure they don't know which is which, most people will find the system head the most attractive. Or to put it another way: more strangers will try to chat you up if you use a system head than if you use a mesh head. I can guarantee that but ... ummm... yes, that is actually a very good reason for getting a mesh head. ;)

Edited by ChinRey

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Noooo!!!!!! :P

Joke aside, I was trying to provoke a little bit of course because it seems to me there are a lot of people who simply take it for granted that a mesh head is better without really reflecting on it.

But I do actually believe that if you show people an avatar with a mesh head and one with a well designed system head and make sure they don't know which is which, most people will find the system head the most attractive. Or to put it another way: more strangers will try to chat you up if you use a system head than if you use a mesh head. I can guarantee that but ... ummm... yes, that is actually a very good reason for getting a mesh head. ;)

Thank you for the honest input and not saying I get a mesh head just for the sake of getting one. I just assumed mesh was more refined and somehow better because of expressions etc. I think I might start with a body first as the weird angles my shoulders or knees make does bother me a little. TBH I have used the same/similar head shape since I started SL. A good skin can make a big difference as well.

years.jpg

• Like 1

One of my favorite heads is an older Catwa. It’s animated and looks very nice. Pre bento the most you could change was the head stretch and size. Bento heads are much more customizable, yet the non-bento is my favorite.

I think the non bento heads are much cheaper than they used to be and might be worth looking into. If you are happy with your system head look and don’t want to change it, stick with your system head. Bento heads tend to take some getting used to and you’ll be tweaking it for a while before you have a look you’re happy with when you start from scratch. A system head and face won’t quite translate to a bento.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.