are you into breedables? RolePlay? exploring?

PrismaticFate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking for a buddy, (though I wouldn't say no to more than one :) ) to hang out with in second life. I'm up for a plutonic guy or gal pal to just hang out with. If your a single guy and we hit it off down the road awesome but that's not really what I'm looking for with this thread. I'm hoping to find either a seasoned SL resident who can show me the ropes or a newbie like myself to stumble with and trip and learn and laugh about it as we do. My major want would be for us to have similar interests. Two big ones for me are Breedables particularly ABC horses as I plan to try to really get into that, and the other would be Role Play, I'd love to join a fantasy medieval, fantasy fae/fairy, or possibly some type of other very similar style RP with either someone who knows what they are doing and has the patience to deal with a total newbie at it and second life in general or is a newbie them self and willing to stick by me through the hills and valleys of learning as we go. Other interests I have in game that it would be fun to share with someone revolve around exploration.. natural parks, clubs, amusement parks, games, horseback riding,  ect. I'm up for checking most anything out together.    Things to be aware of.. my comp lags a bit in heavier traffic areas and takes a few min to load heavily detailed sims. Not to the point where I can't play it just sometimes takes a little for everything to start flowing. Also I haven't got a microphone so I'm limited to chat. hoping to eventually remedy both of these issues. any takers? :)

Well welcome to second life (that is if you are new to sl) . Prepare to drop the cash first for avatar makeover so you don't look like a newbie. Minim is 10 000 lindens (40 usd) just so you can have your avatar basics with a mesh head and body for self then some clothes to fit your style and maybe some more better skins. then you need some animations because SL is just a platform and doesn't offer anything in terms of animations. Then you need a land so you can place your house for your breedables. After that breedables are need to be feed with .. guess what? more lindens. *gasps* message me if you need help with stuff.

1 hour ago, mysteriousdots said:

Prepare to drop the cash first for avatar makeover so you don't look like a newbie. Minim is 10 000 lindens (40 usd) just so you can have your avatar basics with a mesh head and body

Absolutely NOT necessary for a complete newbie.

Expecting someone who is brand new to be able to understand the complexities of mesh bodies and heads and all their attendant HUDs and add-ons is like expecting someone to be able to walk into a Mercedes car showroom and get one of the salespeople to teach them how to drive.

@PrismaticFate I would be very wary of taking advice from someone who tells you that you must spend a minimum of USD40 just to look good. Spend time instead, getting to know the platform first before you start dropping that much money on mesh heads and bodies. It's perfectly possible to put together a good 'non-newbie' avatar without those items (many of us did it for years before mesh bodies and heads came along). And I say that as a resident of 10.5 years who has spent a ridiculously-large sum of money on my avatar over that time, including multiple mesh bodies and heads.

I'm not what you're looking for with regard to companions (I keep my group of friends in SL very small for a reason), but I wish you all the best in finding a community where you feel that you belong.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

thank you Skell Dagger :). And Mysteriousdots, yes I know breeding them will be expenses as will props for role play if I chose to get into that. Im happy with my avatar and will pick up things and personalize her as I happen across stuff that strikes my fancy. In no rush there. It's the actual details of the breedables I need to learn about. How to go about doing different functions with them and the rules and such that that community requires of their members. I'm expecting to spend a decent amount of L$ to get going in the things I'm interested in, but I wont be buying anything to impress anyone else. SL is my hobby and stress vent from RL. Not looking to please anyone but myself with how my Avatar looks :)

• Like 2

That is the key, do whatever makes you happy, do not follow anyone else's idea of doing it right.

3 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

10K? In 2 and a half years?!

That's my budget for 2 and half weeks ...

that's is just the avi, not the clothes I put on it

• Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 1:26 AM, PrismaticFate said:

I'm looking for a buddy, (though I wouldn't say no to more than one :) ) to hang out with in second life. I'm up for a plutonic guy or gal pal to just hang out with. If your a single guy and we hit it off down the road awesome but that's not really what I'm looking for with this thread. I'm hoping to find either a seasoned SL resident who can show me the ropes or a newbie like myself to stumble with and trip and learn and laugh about it as we do. My major want would be for us to have similar interests. Two big ones for me are Breedables particularly ABC horses as I plan to try to really get into that, and the other would be Role Play, I'd love to join a fantasy medieval, fantasy fae/fairy, or possibly some type of other very similar style RP with either someone who knows what they are doing and has the patience to deal with a total newbie at it and second life in general or is a newbie them self and willing to stick by me through the hills and valleys of learning as we go. Other interests I have in game that it would be fun to share with someone revolve around exploration.. natural parks, clubs, amusement parks, games, horseback riding,  ect. I'm up for checking most anything out together.    Things to be aware of.. my comp lags a bit in heavier traffic areas and takes a few min to load heavily detailed sims. Not to the point where I can't play it just sometimes takes a little for everything to start flowing. Also I haven't got a microphone so I'm limited to chat. hoping to eventually remedy both of these issues. any takers? :)

Do they have to be from Pluto?

• Haha 1

Oddly enough my switch to mesh so far is running around 10,000 Lindens in the past 3 months.  5000 for the body, feet, etc and 5000 for mesh clothes.  One strange aspect of switching to mesh is that I love going clothes shopping now because mesh clothes look so much better.  I still am style challenged of course being a man but I am getting better at picking stuff that actually looks decent.  Ugggg I may have become a clothes hound!

image.png.b4c352a650b5535c85803b44205d4c3f.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2018 at 6:42 AM, Talligurl said:

I have been here 2 and a half years and just recently my total cost for my avi topped 10000L, I was just fine before that though. 

um...i need to learn how to control my budget from you.  i actually do mean that. i think i spend more than that a  month.  *starts getting twitchy as he has not bought anything in two days*.

but seriously, SL can eat up lindens quickly if you allow it to. i allow myself to spend as i don't have any other bad habits in life where i spend money and it's cheaper than going to the pub LOL.  

but spending lindens has nothing to do with looking good. i've seen people do amazing things with system avi's and with free stuff.

so either you spend money or you spend time looking for great deals/items. :)

8 hours ago, lostsoul2017 said:

but spending lindens has nothing to do with looking good. i've seen people do amazing things with system avi's and with free stuff.

I cannot justify pouring real dollars into SL, so everything i spend I earn in world. There was a time i was raking in the money as fast as i could spend it (averaging 20,000 a month) but situations change, top customers have RL financial crisis, sims close, I have had to learn to seek out those bargains and freebies. 

I should point out that the 10000L cost for my avi, is not the  total spent, it is only the cost to recreate my current avi, naked.   body, head, skins, tats, hair, jewery that i wear all the time, huds i wear all the time, nor does that price include things i bought used a while and no longer use. This is why my Alice look doesn't have her own account, I can't afford that.

Edited by Talligurl
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, lostsoul2017 said:

so either you spend money or you spend time looking for great deals/items. :)

Yes, you can look really good for free, or at least super cheap (once you get the body anyway).

Keep an eye on just a few websites (fabfree and and scoop.it) you don't have to spend lots of time searching out the freebies/cheapies yourself.  Also, there are a few "deal" groups inworld that help - things like the Fifty Linden Friday, 60L Secret, 25L Tuesday, 30L Sat, 35L Sunday, 1 Linden 1 Hour, etc... 

I'm super careful about what I spend outside of bargains, thus I don't put real money into SL very often at all, nor do I spend a lot of my time searching the grid for the great deals.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

U do not need à mesh avatar, plenty offre free shapes, hairs and skins exist, u only need to work to set ur apparence as u wish it. Btw i recomend u to become premium sont u could have a little housse or buy a 512 sqm land. However if y are intéressés on breeding, u should look on a way to rent/buy at least 2048 sqm; u will need prims to host these things. Another point to not use meshes IS the fact that with meshes u can only use meshes outfits and worst some outfits have to be compatible with ur mesh brand; nice mesh apparence Can ne costly. However, if u l'île to be barefeet, i invite u to look for cheat barefeet mesh à, since legacy feet are ugly things.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.