If you are short term suspended, are there any lasting effects?

Swirla

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Heya anyone, sorry about this post but I can't seem to find anything on the topic exactly.

Recently I've encountered some undesirable people and well, I happen to let my anger get the best of me, besides that, I've encountered a message stating that my account won't be available for about a day, I've never received an email stating I've been suspended but it seems like that may be the case..

Anyways, I can wait for the day to pass and that's ok and all, but I was wondering if there are ANY restrictions for accounts that have been put on any kind of suspensions atleast once, Kinda like how some users on Steam's service will get a "VAC" ban marker on their accounts if they've seriously caused any issues.

For instance, if I was suspended even if just a short period, would I be restricted from any specific features? Purchases or have it tell anyone on my account that I was once in any trouble?

The last one might not seem like a big deal but hey, SL I'm pretty sure is about identity, and I sorta care about my own.. If there are any permanent restrictions I may quit for good.. Thanks for any help. :3

as far i know there are no restictions after a time out, but it's a quite firm warning you went close to a serious breach of TOS.

I'm not sure LL puts markers at people who got this kind of warnings, but i wouldn't be surpised if they do. Repeating this situation will nearly for sure be taken more serious.

I'd reccommend to read the TOS and guidelines..

• Thanks 1

Many thanks! I know why this has happened really.. Needless to say I was afraid of mentioning exactly what happened, but basically one of the owners of an advertised LGBT friendly Sim made a few somewhat phobic comments.. And I sorta raged a little and shared his logs with a few people..

They later threatened me for "Breaking TOS" however I just got frustrated because in order to even prove this they'd have top share logs themselves.. But eather way I raged a bit, didn't actually think it would lead to this but really, I even see people with chat logs of others talking about private sexual manners in their profile descriptions..

But ehh, if there are no permanent restrictions or labels or any kind of demeaning consequence, I'll just move on and try to find other places to meet people.. Otherwise I'll probably just move to other social things on the web in general I guess...

Thank you again for the reply! :3

Edited by Swirla
Thanking

There are no restriction at all, and you don't have to declare it to anyone. The only change is that it's on your record so that, if you keep being warned and/or suspended, you could end up being completely banned from SL.

If you really were suspended, you should have received an email telling you about it.

• Thanks 1

I'd definetly be understanding as to why they'd keep a record to themselves, just in-case I'd do something again in the near (or distant?) future, I'd hope they don't hold it against me forever but I'll probably never be sure.

I've not received an email (Yet) however, it only says my account is "not accessible" til noon today, and I'd find it oddly coincidental for this to be another issue since my very recent ban from a sim, with drama and arguments included.. And also apparently the specific wording of the message I receive when trying to login shows it's probably a short suspension.. :/

But anyways, thank you for the reply and adding a little more hope to my case.. :3

66a3761ba7b9dd398c1acdea0f7fd3aa.png

I have a few emails, but I checked my account for the starting letters to tell which one it was to make sure (And ofcourse it's the one with a bunch of SL emails everywhere. xD)

But I see no emails regarding a suspension of any sort, I assume that it's delayed but it's been quite a few hours now...

Still is a suspension though, that's why I mostly asked about the potential restrictions than asking about the suspension itself. :/

Edited by Swirla
Clarify

I would think if you were banned that you wouldn't be able to post in the forums..

Maybe they are just having problems in a certain area and those accounts are down for a bit..

I remember a few years back seeing something similar,which ended up being something that was more like a glitch.. It would keep some of us out for hours and always gave a time to try again..

I can't remember the exact message or why it was happening..I just remember it happening..

With no email and still being able to post,it may just be something similar to that..

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I would think if you were banned that you wouldn't be able to post in the forums..

<snip>

With no email and still being able to post,it may just be something similar to that..

I have known a few people that managed to get themselves a 24-hour ban inworld but could still post in the forums (the old forums anyway).  However, I'm pretty sure they did all receive an email.

OP - Do you get other SL emails? Have you validated your email address like LL requested a few months back?  Have you double-checked your spam filters/folders to ensure the email isn't ending up there by some chance?

• Thanks 2

A lot of Second Life's emails DO get filtered into my junk folder but I do receive them, I mostly have a lot of group announcement emails, unless there's another address that SL uses that's getting blocked completely (That might deal with more official emails.) I don't know really.. :/ 

I'm using Outlook, but I did have an issue with getting SOME emails in Gmail before, maybe something just happened to it, eather way I'm pretty sure I'm suspended and it's not much longer anyway, I was/am just worried about lasting effects that could hinder my experience on Second Life.

I also doubt this is anything to do with maintenance for any account related stuffs, it would be very coincidental if that was the case considering the drama that I was just a part of really..

Edited by Swirla

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

now i see this pic i seriously doubt you'r banned, or suspended, this mostly appears when the region you were before has / or had problems logging you off.

Sometimes  this is solved by logging in at a different location.

I thought the same thing at first, and I tried logging in at a few different places and times, however after looking up a few things on the topic, I found that there is a slight difference between the messages that have ENTIRELY different meaning..

I found this thing about "Login Failure" literally the only difference is the "Login failed" at the beginning of the mesage.

cd50b35dcdbb269ddb62994ba4c1cb3b.png

Edited by Swirla
Clarification
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

now i see this pic i seriously doubt you'r banned, or suspended, this mostly appears when the region you were before has / or had problems logging you off.

Sometimes  this is solved by logging in at a different location.

That's what it was going on back then.. There was a big problem like back in maybe 2006,where a lot of people were not being logged out on mainland for some reason..We were getting a very similar message..

Thank you,that was driving me nuts trying to remember what that swas..hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

A while back some of my posts here in the forums were a little over exuberant, so I was banned from posting in here for 3 days,  and was blocked from logging in to SL for 24 hours, after being warned several times first.

Needless to say I'm very conscious of what  I post here now, sometimes self censoring after the fact if I think anyone could take offence.

It also means I won't engage in gratuitous name calling, even if the other person started it. Its just as satisfying to flag their post and see it disappear.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, suspenions usually are follow ups of warnings.

I could be that Swirla got "ghosted" by the system. If something like that happens, go live chat or submit a support ticket first. Or log in an alt where the affected account logged out. Once you meet yourself there, you know that you are not suspended. But...umm...caught by some mysterious 14 years old bug which never got fixed completely.

Edited by Vivienne Schell

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

only time I see that error is when I log in and out to fast to the same region, changing it always lets me back in.

Basically it's the "You had a bad logout, the server hasn't noticed you left" message...

Typically when i see it, after a viewer crash or some web disconnect, it tells me that my account is unavailable until...

MY Local time + a couple of minutes then tacks "Pacific Standard Time" on the back end..

But it's all lies, my account isn't unavailable for "8 hours 2 minutes", and clicking ok and immediately hitting the login button again will, usually after a few tries let you back in, or else, log in at a different sim...

I got a three day suspension in 2007, for putting up a privacy screen on my own madland because it blocked the door of my neighbor's shop, which was on the parcel line into my property. Doesn't matter there was a ban line there too to stop this obnoxious woman leeching my garden, the Lab decided I wasn't entitled to rez a prim to block the sight of her shop.

You will get an email, it will likely go to junk, the message you show is there for suspensions, but it's also there on a bad logout. The bad logout should be cleared in under 10 minutes - or to make sure, log into another sim by name. There are no lasting repercussions but for a strike on your account. Bans increases in length each time.

11 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

A while back some of my posts here in the forums were a little over exuberant, so I was banned from posting in here for 3 days,  and was blocked from logging in to SL for 24 hours, after being warned several times first.

And the suspensions you got were not justified. I say that even though it was me who you were being annoyingly "exuberant" about :)

Edited by Phil Deakins

There are no lasting effects of being temporarily suspended.

The only thing that is simi permanent is your internal record which only Linden Lab can see, it serves as a reference for "did this user listen or are they ignoring us?".

The fact your account is locked but you did not receive a email is unusual. it may be that the sim locked the account but forgot to unlock it, although I never heard of such event it is always possible.

You can also check https://secondlife.com/my/account/?lang=en-US which should, if I recall correctly, show "suspended" on the account status, or not let you log in.

You can also ask support if your account is suspended and if so, why. I believe support has access to the user records so they should be able to give you a copy of the email if it never arrived.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
Typo (od instead of of)
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.