SL14B Shopping Event

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://secondlife.com/destination/sl14b-gilded-shopping

I don't have any pictures yet but I managed to snag the gifts and several demos. I was having some issues with stuff not showing up in my inventory until I relogged so I didn't want to risk any purchases but I will be back! LMs made in the stores will take you straight to that store so you don't have to wander around looking for it from a central point.

It's a very nice mall type build with a variety of shops and I found it easy to navigate. Some stores have gotten rather creative with the booths. The event is running until the 26th of this month so definitely time to check it out.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

http://secondlife.com/destination/sl14b-gilded-shopping

I don't have any pictures yet but I managed to snag the gifts and several demos. I was having some issues with stuff not showing up in my inventory until I relogged so I didn't want to risk any purchases but I will be back! LMs made in the stores will take you straight to that store so you don't have to wander around looking for it from a central point.

It's a very nice mall type build with a variety of shops and I found it easy to navigate. Some stores have gotten rather creative with the booths. The event is running until the 26th of this month so definitely time to check it out.

Glad you like the build! I imagine some of the inventory issues had to do with the amount of people in the Regions,but we did make some changes from our last event to make shopping and navigating easier. Really nice to read that it was easy for you to find your way around! I just posted a blog that contains a link to all three Regions in the Destination Guide, as well as a list of all participating Merchants. Thanks to them for providing gifts, discounted items, and beautiful set ups! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Xiola Linden said:

Thanks to them for providing gifts, discounted items

You mean they all offer free gifts and discounts voluntarily? I'm inclined not to believe that. I'm inclined to think that they had to do it to get in the show. I'm quite cynical about it bit I'm open to being corrected, of course.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

You mean they all offer free gifts and discounts voluntarily? I'm inclined not to believe that. I'm inclined to think that they had to do it to get in the show. I can be corrected, of course.

They were asked up front if they would be willing to provide a gift and discounted items, as this was part of the event plan from the start - so yes, they did volunteer to meet those terms (provide a gift and offer some items at a discount) when they applied to participate. We wanted to make this a successful event for the Merchants as well as a rewarding one for Residents. Second Life doesn't turn 14 every day! 

• Like 1

So, if a merchant wasn't willing to provide a freebie and a discount, they couldn't get into the event. That's what I thought. It wasn't voluntary is the normal way. It was forced voluntary or they couldn't get in. It's not quite the same thing. Thank you for being honest about it, Xiola.

9 minutes ago, Xiola Linden said:

Second Life doesn't turn 14 every day!

That's true. It has a birthday every year, and every year there is an event. 14 is nothing special.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

Now I'm wondering what LL's angle is. A selling event isn't a birthday party, so what's the angle? If there isn't one, why not have a birthday party like everyone else does who wants to celebrate their birthday? Do the merchants pay to be included?

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Xiola Linden said:

Glad you like the build! I imagine some of the inventory issues had to do with the amount of people in the Regions,but we did make some changes from our last event to make shopping and navigating easier. Really nice to read that it was easy for you to find your way around! I just posted a blog that contains a link to all three Regions in the Destination Guide, as well as a list of all participating Merchants. Thanks to them for providing gifts, discounted items, and beautiful set ups! 

Thanks Xiola! I looked for a list and thought I just missed it but it hadn't even been posted yet! LOL and yes this was an improvement from the Valentine and Halloween shopping events. Thank you so much!

Phil, it's just one part of the celebration. While most of the 60 offered both a gift (some were previously available at other events) and a discount, I came across a few that only offered one or the other. I admit I may have missed some or the discounts not clearly marked. I saw discounts ranging from 25-40% off on just a select number of items to everything in the store's booth. To me, it seems like the creators had a lot more flexibility with this event than some others I've been to.

There were even a couple of lesser known booths I came across where I thought "Hey they're here! Good for them!" because I know the list of applicants had to be huge.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Now I'm wondering what LL's angle is. A selling event isn't a birthday party, so what's the angle? If there isn't one, why not have a birthday party like everyone else does who wants to celebrate their birthday? Do the merchants pay to be included?

I assume LL's angle is to give merchants better exposure to the general SL population than they can get otherwise. More sales for the merchants is more income for LL. It's not much more exposure; I don't think the subset of the population who notice login messages or read the official blogs is much bigger than the subset who use these forums. I've found in the past that most of the SL people I know haven't heard of the birthday celebrations.

The birthday celebration runs June 18 - 25 (with performances) and June 26 - July 2 for viewing (no performances).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

While most of the 60 offered both a gift (some were previously available at other events) and a discount, I came across a few that only offered one or the other. I admit I may have missed some or the discounts not clearly marked. I saw discounts ranging from 25-40% off on just a select number of items to everything in the store's booth.

I made it over to one sim last night, Halycon, which was the only one available due to traffic. The build was vast and impressive and a bit classier than most Linden builds. I agree it was easy to get around and not get lost. As far as I can tell, not all participants offered gifts. I even turned on area search when I couldn't find them :D, but I did find a few very nice things.  

It is pretty typical for event participants to "overlook" the rules in a venue. Apparently they all got there on time for the opening -- or perhaps some folks on the waiting list zipped in, I know not. Anyway it looks like a hit and that's good.  It is questionable how much SHOPPING is actually taking place, but there is that brand recognition thing and that is always good. 

• Like 2

On 07/06/2017 at 3:05 PM, Chic Aeon said:

It is questionable how much SHOPPING is actually taking place.

I made my way around all three regions last night. Trust me: there was a LOT of shopping taking place, by me at least! I did notice a few people zooming from stall to stall and only lingering for as long as it took for the freebie to rez before they moved on to the next place, but the regions were all busy (roughly 45-ish people in each) and there were many green dots lingering in the stores as well as the freebie-grabbers. (And who is to say that the freebie-grabbers won't go back and shop later? I certainly picked up freebies along the way, even while emptying my wallet.)

On 07/06/2017 at 2:22 PM, Parhelion Palou said:

I assume LL's angle is to give merchants better exposure to the general SL population than they can get otherwise.

It was certainly a success in that way for me. I discovered a lot of new-to-me stores and even joined a couple of groups (which is saying something, since I so rarely find anything these days that truly takes my breath away and appeals to my own personal aesthetic at the same time). I was also pleasantly surprised to see a couple of old names from way back when I first joined SL in 2007 that I didn't even know were still around.

I found the build easy to navigate, even while so heavily populated (although I did have Firestorm's "show friends only" option checked) and - lag notwithstanding - I made it around the whole place in roughly two and a half hours (with, as I mentioned, a lot of pauses and stops to look around).

• Like 3

On 6/7/2017 at 7:05 AM, Chic Aeon said:

I made it over to one sim last night, Halycon, which was the only one available due to traffic. The build was vast and impressive and a bit classier than most Linden builds. I agree it was easy to get around and not get lost. As far as I can tell, not all participants offered gifts. I even turned on area search when I couldn't find them :D, but I did find a few very nice things.  

It is pretty typical for event participants to "overlook" the rules in a venue. Apparently they all got there on time for the opening -- or perhaps some folks on the waiting list zipped in, I know not. Anyway it looks like a hit and that's good.  It is questionable how much SHOPPING is actually taking place, but there is that brand recognition thing and that is always good. 

Everyone should have both a gift and discounted items. It may be a bit tough to spot them all ( I know it was for me when I was checking), but should all be out. Next time, we'll make an easy to spot object for them all to put their gifts in, making it easier for shoppers. I've heard good things about the amount of shopping as well. Hoping to do it even bigger next year!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Xiola Linden said:

Everyone should have both a gift and discounted items. It may be a bit tough to spot them all ( I know it was for me when I was checking), but should all be out. Next time, we'll make an easy to spot object for them all to put their gifts in, making it easier for shoppers. I've heard good things about the amount of shopping as well. Hoping to do it even bigger next year!

I went back today and really REALLY looked LOL, and as you say most did. However a couple seemed to be missing -- then again I am not the best "hunter" when it comes to that. But if there are only six vendors and none are a gift and nothing else in the store -- LOL. It is a lovely event though. Discounts were very obvious to my mind. Lots of signs :D. 

PS. I really do appreciate you checking before hand :D. To my mind though gifts should be fairly obvious or they no longer become "gifts". I know that not all creators are into gift giving and some can be fairly nasty about it (not necessarily folks at YOUR event of course LOL) so gifts could have been removed. Not good, but it does happen. Really it only says not so nice things about the creator, so to my mind it is better to opt out of any venue that you don't want to gift a required gift. Me? I sometimes just add one to my booth because I feel like it. 

We are all different. 

PS.   I just thought of another possibility. I am a cam queen -- a worthwhile skill learned when I was very new. I seldom walk up to vendors, I cam in whether for shopping, checking out good photo spots or looking for gifts to blog. IF the contains for the gifts are in less than great LOD meshes, I most likely would not see them. There have been a few post on that (and those horrible mesh texts that only rez at LOD 4 or better) on these forums. So that certainly could have been MY problem :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

I was also pleasantly surprised to see a couple of old names from way back when I first joined SL in 2007 that I didn't even know were still around.

Agreed. There were lots of familiar folks and some new to me names. There were a few folks that I wondered about the choices but all in all it was a very good event. I saw a fair amount of new folks (or old alts in pink polka dotted dresses) getting a redo. As often is, there were lots more for gals than guys but there were some nice men's stores in the mix so that was good to see. And of course it all depends somewhat on WHO wanted to be there.   

A friend of mine went over (premium) and could fly into a "full" region while others could not. That might have just been luck or maybe the premium bonus entrance into sims. Not exactly clear if that has happened. Since I most always either get in early or don't go *wink*, I wouldn't use that perk. Sure others though are or will be very happy.

@Xiola LindenThanks for sharing that thought. I think that would be a great idea!

I welcome seeing new brands! Events have been a great way to discover vendors previously unfamiliar to me and in some cases re-establish a connection I had with a brand previously. I think its debatable if a gift is a requirement for entry but it does influence more people to come which is a plus for the vendors, and its nice for attending the event.

I may be in the minority on this but I don't take all the free gifts and I don't always keep them. The ones I do decide to take I will look at and I know they have influenced me to take a closer look at a brand or to keep them in mind for a future purchase. So I appreciate all the vendors that do offer them. Thank you! :D

Edited by Chase01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chase01 said:

I may be in the minority on this but I don't take all the free gifts and I don't always keep them.

And quite a few merchants had photos of their gifts so that was helpful. I had one gift that I liked very much and it was from a creator that I had never heard of and SO "not me". So that was a fun surprise.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

A friend of mine went over (premium) and could fly into a "full" region while others could not. That might have just been luck or maybe the premium bonus entrance into sims.

I did wonder if that was in effect, actually. Each of the three regions had 45 people in them when I visited, but I (as a premium member) had no trouble getting in. I didn't notice the map view avatar count going over 45 at any time I checked it, although to be fair I only looked at it three or four times, and that was only a cursory glance.

And yes, there were far more items for the ladies at the event, but even I (an inveterate complainer that "us blokes need more representation at shopping events!") was pleased to see so many male and unisex items available.

I was a little less pleased, though, to see how many of the stores were weighting their discounts and freebies exclusively towards female avatars. I saw multiple stores that had both male and female items for sale, but only the female items were discounted, and the freebie was female-only. For example: one hair store had both male and female hair on display, but the three discounted items were all female, and the gift was a female style. Since the balance of good quality free and cheap content for avatars is already heavily skewed towards the ladies, I was disappointed to notice so many stores ignoring the guys when it came to offering discounts and freebies. Is it too much to ask stores that create for both to put out a unisex gift, or one each for men and women?

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Is it too much to ask stores that create for both to put out a unisex gift, or one each for men and women?

Plenty of events and hunts do ask that. That was not a criteria at this event though -- at least not on the application sheet. Quite a few creators put out previous group gifts too, which is also not allowed in other events (likely not specified in this one and some folks "cheat when they can", I see it so often).  So glad I am not an event organizer! 

Aphorism actually had a girl's sizing of the men's shoe gift in the pack. And the Tableau Vivant hair and the Alice Project hair were both unrigged and would likely work for some guys :D. But yes, the items for the guys were in the minority. Again, not unusual and undoubtedly becoming the norm over time as guys shop less..

Only one clothing gift for guys that I remember (or found) and the unisex part of that did NOT fit girls (even boyish me LOL) so we can't call that unisex.  The Addams voucher could be used for a very few men's items in the store and that wasn't obvious. They were not mesh body specific ones however and appeared to be from awhile back; some shoes there too.  THAT gift voucher (basically one free item from the store with some money left over for a discount if you wanted) was working well and the store is busy with mostly gals but some guys were shopping with them. Really a smart move on the owner's part I think. 

Still some very nice gifts; I am sure many folks are very happy. 

• Like 1

On 08/06/2017 at 3:30 PM, Skell Dagger said:

I did notice a few people zooming from stall to stall and only lingering for as long as it took for the freebie to rez before they moved on to the next place,

Must admit i was exactly like that went there the first time grabbed all the freebies i could find been back since for certain stores and bought something from the only store that i couldn't see a freebie on offer

I went and the build was very nice.  However, I had to keep leaving to try demo's that came with HUDS for color change, like hairs and such.  While I know scripts get turned off to help with lag, to be honest, when I have to leave and go back to a shopping event, I typically leave and don't go back at all because it's a pain in the rear and hard to get back in usually. 

Also, I would really like to know the actual criteria used to chose stores from all those that enter to be involved because it seems to me it's unfairly tipped towards the stores that already are hugely successful and leaves very little space for any up and coming or brand new stores to have a real chance.  It comes off more like the "hey sign up for a chance to a be a part of "insert whatever LL event it is" " is just to make it look like everyone gets a fair shot, but, it feels more like the bulk of the stores included are pretty much already known since they are in almost every single LL event.

I will sing the praises of SL all day long because I love it and have been around nearly 10 years in total, but, I feel it needs pointing out that it looks like it is a biased, unfair process.  The stores that LL's make the most money off of all year round get to be in the events and that is a lot of free advertising right there that small and/or new places could really use. Help the little people, is all I'm saying, make it a fair distribution, for every big name store choose one new or small store every event.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.