How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

I am sure that there are many people who take their pics primarily for the purpose of displaying them on this forum. Arguably, I suppose, it's not unuseful to hear that such-and-such a kind of picture doesn't display well here, or can't be seen properly on phones, or whatever.

But many of us, most of us maybe, don't consider ourselves "content creators" for the SL forums. We produce pics for other venues -- in-world, perhaps, or Flickr, or Twitter, or whatever. And, maybe most of all, we are making them look the way that we want them to look. Our most important audience is ourselves.

I like helpful posts about photography and pics here, and I've learned a great deal myself from such interventions over the years. But I don't think it's helpful or appropriate, maybe, to get snarky or demanding about it -- whether it's how "dark" our pics are, whether we "misuse" Dutch angles, or whatever.

Produce the kinds of photos you want to produce! Make them look good to you.

Personally, I'm far more interested in a photo that is an expression of the photographer's personality and aesthetic than I am in one that complies with someone else's "rules," even if those "rules" might make for a "better" photo (whatever that means).

ETA. Oh yeah, this is a picture thread!

Here's a pic. It's dark. I'm sorry!

1856872003_Simple-Portrait-Blank.thumb.png.4e3b558aa174bb08d0f22636211d30ad.png

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Added a pic
  • Like 25

2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

What problems have you run into with png"s? My images are usually taken at 2048 x 1107. I haven't had issues...yet...

I take large PNG's, usually at 6000px at the horizontal end. I'm a pixel peeping addict (sometimes) LOL... so I convert to JPG before uploading. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Arguably, I suppose, it's not unuseful to hear that such-and-such a kind of picture doesn't display well here, or can't be seen properly on phones, or whatever.

Wow,

Seriously? 

How is it NOT useful? The forums are meant to be seen on ALL devices, if someone tells you that the images do not display well on a phone, perhaps instead of saying what you said, you could take into account  what is being said. If its your thing to do the dark phots, do it, who cares. All I said in my original post about things was its like playing where's Waldo. followed by lol and CLEARLY not aggressive or dismissive like your statement is. 

It was in fact a factual statement.  So, what are you saying?  What I have to say is unimportant because you can see it fine and therefore I do not matter?  

Edited by LittleSparrow Skydancer
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, LittleSparrow Skydancer said:

Wow,

Seriously? 

How is it NOT useful? The forums are meant to be seen on ALL devices, if someone tells you that the images do not display well on a phone, perhaps instead of saying what you said, you could take into account  what is being said. If its your thing to do the dark phots, do it, who cares. All I said in my original post about things was its like playing where's Waldo. followed by lol and CLEARLY not aggressive or dismissive like your statement is. 

It was in fact a factual statement.  So, what are you saying?  What I have to say is unimportant because you can see it fine and therefore I do not matter?  

Well, no. What I said is that it was "not unuseful." In other words, there is some value to knowing that you, and perhaps others, have a problem seeing these pics. I obviously would like people to see my pics here -- or I wouldn't post them.

That said, you seem to be arguing that everyone should "optimize" their photos, as a web content creator might, to ensure that they can be seen in all sorts of contexts and on different devices.

You also seem to be suggesting that we should all compose our photographs here with cell phones in mind, or with your cell phone in particular, as I actually can see these just fine on mine. And that, for instance, I shouldn't do dark pics, even though that is what I do, a lot, out of choice, because some people can't see them.

In essence, you are telling me that my pictures are inappropriate, or don't work, or shouldn't be posted here, or at least be radically changed, because you can't see them properly.

Except then they wouldn't be my pics anymore. Do you understand that? I put a great deal of thought and time and care into my photos -- as I know others here do as well. While I most certainly do want you to see them properly, I'm not going to stop creating the kinds of photos I want to create because your device can't display them properly. I'm sorry, but I'm just not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Bagnu said:

There are times I have to use a phone to look at the forums. I expect some pics to be hard to see. I can't work on my pics on my phone, and my pics aren't designed to be viewed on one. If it works, that's great, but I won't proof them to see if they do. 

Why do you even think my  comment about playing where is Waldo in dark images on my phone was directed at you? 

1 hour ago, LittleSparrow Skydancer said:

Why do you even think my  comment about playing where is Waldo in dark images on my phone was directed at you? 

I didn't think it was directed at me at all. Most of my images are fairly bright (with some exceptions). I was just trying to point out that a phone screen is fairly small, and it's hard to see everything. And that people don't necessarily make images specifically meant for small screens like that (with some exceptions, possibly). I don't.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

PNG's are large files regardless of resolution

I know. The only thing is, everytime you edit one, your not recompressing a compressed file. It's a matter of storage space for me with png's, not anything online. But my pics aren't as large as Jerome's

On 6/14/2022 at 11:52 AM, LittleSparrow Skydancer said:

You know, every touch screen based mobile device has zoom option, right? And not just that, but also has even cooler feature that lets you adjust the brightness on the display. 

Now lets improve upon those features and make the mobile browsing experience even better! Mobile devices have portrait and landscape mode, all you have to do is tilt the device on one side and voila! You change modes. Another awesome hidden feature you may not be aware is that you can tap on the photos to view them better, but wait, there's more! If you double tap on the photo you can open it on new web tab on your phone to view it even better! I mean how cool is technology, right?!

And with that being said, I don't think any us of are obliged to resize our photos, which we post to express ourselves, our looks and captured special moment just so you can view them better on your phone which none of us know what kind it is, what's it's display size, screen ratio, resolution and ppi density.

Edited by Aiyumei
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2