Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 72 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My daughter made me sick (she was sick much of the Thanksgiving weekend).  I spent all day hacking at work (while everyone there glared at me) and tonight the coughing is now accompanied by sneezing fits.  I think I'll call it an early evening - maybe even sleep in a bit in the morning and then work from home.

temp1.jpg.b08b51f970711de9e66dde51823249d3.jpg

• Sad 4

Hi Everyone!  I want to set up some guidelines for the breakfast club.  I have posted this to the groups used for the breakfast club.  The breakfast club is meant to be a place where people can come together without fear of persecution because of their beliefs, whether it be religion, political standings or life pursuits.  You can belief in anything, or any god you chose.  That is fine.  But when words are said that infringe on the beliefs of others can not be tolerated.  This includes any words that my offend the religious beliefs of others, and words of violence to anyone.  I am a firm believer in peoples rights to  belief in what they think that is right for them.  But the breakfast table is not a place to spew words of hate and violence.  I hope you
all can understand this.  In the future this will not be tolerated. As I have said, the breakfast club is a place for us to all get together to enjoy each other in peace and in love.  I do enjoy strong heated debates.  However the breakfast table is not a place for this.  Dig?  Thank you.  Your breakfast guru, Hippie.

Peace!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

...sets your debates on fire.

Is persecuting people with wallets still okay?

BTW, yours is empty. Ask Ladysue to refill it.

Fire setting, wallet stealing, and general shenanigans is all still allowed. Lady spent all her money on shoes. Looks like cold beans and hodgepodge tonight for dinner.

Peace!

10 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I'm thinking about getting a new hard drive for my PC.  What do you think, is it worth it?

HardDrive.png.298ccb1be57899921e2703af178d172d.png

Yes! It's much cheaper than the ones I used to see in Byte magazine. Those drives were about the same price but only had a 5 MB capacity. However, for $330 I could have matched the 12MB with a mere 66 180KB 5.25" floppies. In 1981 I was only paying $50 for 10 of them. Access time would have been significantly longer.

A 4 TB internal drive is somewhere in the $100 - $150 range today, so one at $125 costs $0.00003125/MB. That's a bit of an improvement over the $249.58/MB cost of that 12 MB disk system.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone!  I am having a Spaceship sale and concert to help raise funds for my dear friend tsawke'syulang (Kathi1974) http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lagrange%20Point/154/142/23She has breast cancer and is in need of funds to put fuel in her car to get her to where the treatment is done. I have put out several Spaceships that you can purchase this week and then at 4 PM Slt on Friday the 8th I will sing for Kathi. I hope you can help out this sweet lady.

Peace!

Kathi.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Yes! It's much cheaper than the ones I used to see in Byte magazine. Those drives were about the same price but only had a 5 MB capacity. However, for $330 I could have matched the 12MB with a mere 66 180KB 5.25" floppies. In 1981 I was only paying $50 for 10 of them. Access time would have been significantly longer.

A 4 TB internal drive is somewhere in the $100 - $150 range today, so one at $125 costs $0.00003125/MB. That's a bit of an improvement over the $249.58/MB cost of that 12 MB disk system.

I'll see your 180KB 5.25" floppies and raise with 3.5" 1.44MB floppies (of which we all had stacks and stacks). When TB drives started getting to be the norm (especially in DVR systems), I did some math. These numbers are approximations only; I rounded both up and down quite a bit. The stack of 1.44MB's to equal 1TB of storage would be about 1.3 miles high.

(I used .125" as the thickness of the 3.5's; I do still have a few of those around here somewhere but I don't have a micrometer nor calipers. Ask Maddy; I'm sure she has all that stuff. Or if you have enough, just see how many there are in one inch; you can eyeball that close enough with a ruler.)

• Like 1

Good morning all! Happy Tuesday! I remember back in the 80's when I was working at Paradyne,  a now defunct telecommunications company, we had a Texas Instruments 4420 mini computer to run remote diagnostics on modems. It had two fixed disks each a whopping 5 meg each and 2 removable disks each 5 meg. It was state of the art at the time. I believe that my smart phone has more computing power than this dinosaur of a computer had!

Peace!

990Family.jpg

Edited by Hippie Bowman
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 72 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.