Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hippie Bowman

• valerie Inshan

• Madelaine McMasters

• DQ Darwin

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Wednesday folks! Four years ago today I brought this little guy home and snapped this pic. More current ones with his brother.

Okay, I abadoned my Lindenhome now, and opend up a ticket for the abandond land I want to own. Here's fingers crossed I did everything right. Can't wait! Woho! 

Rhonda's thoughtful thought of the day: If you love someone, set them free.  You will know your love is true if they don't press charges.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

For everyone needing some happy in there day!

Must be a river otter; sea otters would probably not care for a fresh water bath. I'm lucky enough to live in a major sea otter habitat; they're common around here. They are relatively okay with  humans although they'll flip over and dive if a boat gets too close (their 'resting' position is floating on their backs on the surface, often while eating shellfish held on their chests). I did get close to a river otter once while floating down the South Fork of the Eel River up in the Coast Redwoods. It got to within a few feet of my little inflatable and then sort of porpoised alongside me (not coming clear out of the water, but surfacing for a bit then diving, all while staying right next to me) as I floated along with the mild current.

One of those "Damn, I'm glad I did this!" moments, although to tell the truth the whole afternoon was like that.

ETA: As fun as that was to see, I do hope whoever it is has a plan for getting the otter back in the wild (unless it was born and raised in human space).

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 2
On 12/5/2017 at 1:11 AM, Dillon Levenque said:

I'll see your 180KB 5.25" floppies and raise with 3.5" 1.44MB floppies (of which we all had stacks and stacks). When TB drives started getting to be the norm (especially in DVR systems), I did some math. These numbers are approximations only; I rounded both up and down quite a bit. The stack of 1.44MB's to equal 1TB of storage would be about 1.3 miles high.

(I used .125" as the thickness of the 3.5's; I do still have a few of those around here somewhere but I don't have a micrometer nor calipers. Ask Maddy; I'm sure she has all that stuff. Or if you have enough, just see how many there are in one inch; you can eyeball that close enough with a ruler.)

3.5" floppy diskettes are nominally 3.3mm thick, or 1/7.69 inch. Your 1/8th of an inch is as close to correct as 1.44MB and 1TB, both of which are only loosely related to the actual amount of data you can store. A photograph of your imagined stack of diskettes might show as nothing but blue sky, as the aspect ratio of the stack (1.3miles/4 inches) would be greater than 20,000:1. Even on a super expensive 8K display (about 4K pixels tall), that stack would be 1/5 of a pixel wide. Because photographic proof of such a thing would be so difficult to create, I suggest arranging the diskettes as a 4" tall wall 42 miles long. That's about enough to prevent Tequila worms from Tijuana from slithering over the border into San Diego.

Of course they could still tunnel.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

232467-Coffee-Art-Happy-Wednesday-Good-M

There was not a single damn thing about today (so far anyway) to make it 'Happy' anything.  Work sucked horribly.  Got there and all kinds of crashed jobs to deal with.  Still a few outstanding items when I left the office after fighting it all freakin day.  And some higher up yahoo wants me to call into an outage event this evening and sit on the phone for 2 hours "just in case".

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

3.5" floppy diskettes are nominally 3.3mm thick, or 1/7.69 inch. Your 1/8th of an inch is as close to correct as 1.44MB and 1TB, both of which are only loosely related to the actual amount of data you can store. A photograph of your imagined stack of diskettes might show as nothing but blue sky, as the aspect ratio of the stack (1.3miles/4 inches) would be greater than 20,000:1. Even on a super expensive 8K display (about 4K pixels tall), that stack would be 1/5 of a pixel wide. Because photographic proof of such a thing would be so difficult to create, I suggest arranging the diskettes as a 4" tall wall 42 miles long. That's about enough to prevent Tequila worms from Tijuana from slithering over the border into San Diego.

Of course they could still tunnel.

Cool; my 'eyeball' guess on the thickness was definitely close enough for a town this size. As for the 'nominal' data storage space, yeah. That depends on a bunch of other factors which is one reason I didn't worry too much about rounding. I should probably just call it "over a mile  high" which I think is quite probable no matter what.

I do like the wall idea, but how 'bout if you put them in 6" high stacks, something that was not at all unusual, on a standard 30" x 72" folding table? I bet you'd have enough tables to show up on a photograph. Also, it would be way easier to make the 6" high stacks than the mile-high one. I imagine for that one you'd hear a whole lot of "God DAMN it!" over the radio link from the stackers, followed quickly by a rain of plastic. 

• Like 2

It was only 12 degrees out when I pulled into my work parking lot this morning, which had me wanting some hot cocoa.  Do you know how hard it is to find good cocoa without any of that whipped cream or marshmallow crap in it - geez.  Anyway, I also brought along a cup of strong black coffee for Rhonda and a nice mug of root beer for Maddy.

Temp.thumb.jpg.05ea624a554841ef5a4b0057d0f7365f.jpg  Temp2.jpg.e28ea4e2157c5f0bafea86352b83d343.jpg  Temp3.thumb.jpg.c1080755dfc93a10d7b76c7df51d0123.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1