SECOND LIFE IS DYING...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Your problem isn't WHERE you are touting your 'revitalise the Madlands' scheme, it's that you seriously think there NEEDS to be a scheme to revitalise them rather than just closing half of it down.

Your scheme, I think the people at LL know about it already, and as to their opinion of it... Well ask your self this question.

Last year... Did they roll out a fancy scheme to victimise the people who generate their income so as to revitalise the Madlands... Or did they offer a Grandfathering Sale on the Islands to lower tier and encourage the people they make money off, to stay and pay for Island regions.

You've had your answer. Deal with it.

If mainland parcels were available to buy in the same way private parcels were, i'm sure many many people would jump at the chance to buy mainland.

Unfortunately the ways to get mainland today puts many people off.

I'd think you'd be happy with my plan, because it would put the mainland land flippers out of business.

Some people you can never please.

:)

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed an incorrect word

3 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

When LL does enough for me to warrant a premium membership, I might pay for one, until then, hell to the no. 

You pay 6 dollars a month on the yearly plan, you get 5 dollars a month back in Linden dollars, the other dollar gets you a 512 which is worth more than that in rent. If you buy lindens anyway, a premuim membership costs you nothing really.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Chrismaky said:

Second Life IS dying. Its an old platform with a neglected backend and gets nothing but patches. Linden Labs has abandoned it for Sansar. You could scream all the problems it has till youre blue in the face and nothing will get done about it. People generally don't give a crap, thats why you see alot of broken links and broken TPs, blah blah blah. Also, old school avatars and anything built on prims instead of mesh. Ive seen a lot of youtube reviews discussing this problem of SL being HEAVILY outdated (why do you think theres so many trolls? Because thats all some sims are good for. Not much else to do!)

My only fear is that LL, desperate for cash to continue building its white elephant, sells Second Life to google or facebook.

Then you will see the collapse of Second Life.

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

My only fear is that LL, desperate for cash to continue building its white elephant, sells Second Life to google or facebook.

They are sitting on a gold mine and letting it age to death. I wouldn't sell it but I sure as hell would give it and everything associated with it (secondlife.com and it's marketplace) one hell of an update. 

13 minutes ago, Chrismaky said:

They are sitting on a gold mine and letting it age to death. I wouldn't sell it but I sure as hell would give it and everything associated with it (secondlife.com and it's marketplace) one hell of an update. 

It needs one for sure, but everything it does needs to be backwards compatable to what is already here.

Lets not forget, todays shiny great new idea is tomorrows outdated albatross, and i like my albatrosses

• Like 2

On 8/11/2013 at 2:34 PM, Anaimfinity said:

I traveled all this world, from sim to sim. Second Life is really dieing and faster then ever. I found on mainland endless sims of abandoned land, unpopulated rentals and a lot of islands are vanishing.

Some statistics you can find here: www.gridsurvey.com

After two months of work, I made maps of all what I could find. You can download them from this link:

https://mega.co.nz/#F!uVUWVayZ!aIO_BQIHRYRuvN9nRfzzjA

Note: These 26 maps are hosted on Mega.co.nz, the succesor of Megaupload. To download them, you need to have google chrome. You can see with your own eyes that some continents are full of abandoned land.

Also, I made a 12 pages study of each continent and possible solutions to improve our world. you can download them from here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!jJ8BFDqb!bveoHFm2Rb22PsvftOAqN2URYq9cns1u6f9NBoU3HWw

These are radical solutions that require a lot of work, solutions for each continent and for each major problem. I think this is the only way we can make our world have back the glory from the old times.

I went on Google chrome to those addresses and they say the files are not available. What's up? Why use a scam website for this important work?

4 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I went on Google chrome to those addresses and they say the files are not available. What's up?

That's a 4 year old post. Hosting files permanently does cost money. You may provide some webspace for free perhaps to host such files?

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

The profit LL makes from SL is partly used to build Sansar. SL is what allows LL's continued existence. That's why they're putting significant effort into updating SL. They need it to do well, or they're done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrismaky said:

That is my point. They are not updates. They are small "fixes". Thats where all that "unscheduled maintenance" crap comes from. What they need to do is to take the whole thing down for a few weeks (thats only due to them neglecting it since 2004) and do some serious updating to its backend so they don't have to "patch" it to make things like bento work. Their method is so stupidly old school its not even funny. They are sitting on a gold mind and letting it age to death.

You know what they did actually update? The forums. Thats it. Since 2004 the ONLY actual update they have done is the forums and that was THIS year. LOL.

SL has had significant updates since 2004. It's also far more reliable than it was back then. How exactly would taking the whole thing down for a few weeks help? Redesigning SL would take years and, unless LL was willing to destroy much of SL's content, would end up pretty much the same as now. They've got to be compatible with years of content or risk breaking enough things that people would leave. Sansar is working on 4 years in development, so I'd guess SL (which is much more complex) would take significantly longer. Perhaps 6 - 8 years?

BTW, the reliability improvements are mostly due to redesign of the back end. That's not all 2004 code.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Chrismaky said:

Negative. When you require everyone to look at a status page to see to see if its offline, thats ANCIENT. And when I do actually stumble unto the status page, it always says "unscheduled maintenance". And I tend to check it when I can't log in...like we ALL do. Thats not really scheduled.

Closing down for a few weeks to perform updates and actual fixes is the result of the backend being neglected for so long. Why do you think they created Sansar? They COULD'NT bring VR to Second Life as originally intended without...you guessed it...actually updating and fixing the backend. This is honestly their own fault.

I rarely check the status page, so it's not "ALL".

You're right, they couldn't bring VR to SL, because SL isn't designed for it. We should be very happy that LL didn't try to make SL into a VR experience. It's not the back end of SL that's the problem. It us - we're the reason. SL allows people to build things on the fly, change their avatars on the fly; anything can change at any time. People can build un-optimized monstrosities and SL has to take it. VR needs 90 frames per second in order to keep people from turning their expensive headsets into puke buckets. Sansar achieves this by taking away the spontaneity. Users of a Sansar experience can't rez things from inventory. For that matter, the owner of the experience can't rez new things while the experience is live. Editing is done offline, then goes through an optimization step, and is finally published (goes live). That's why Sansar is perhaps a place to visit for an SL resident, but they wouldn't want to live there.

Side note: I haven't thought about avatars in Sansar before. Avatar complexity is a client-side problem in SL and I assume it would be in Sansar as well. The problem is the client needs 90fps if a VR bucket is stuck on the user's head. I wonder how Sansar handles avatar complexity. Are avatars optimized before they can enter the experience?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You pay 6 dollars a month on the yearly plan, you get 5 dollars a month back in Linden dollars, the other dollar gets you a 512 which is worth more than that in rent. If you buy lindens anyway, a premuim membership costs you nothing really.

I still gives me nothing that I need, or want. It's not just about the cost itself for all of us.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Please point out where i said the islands should subsidize the mainland.

Well there was this stunning example...

On 30 July 2017 at 10:29 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

That was for small business owners that don't own (not rent) anything else.

Besides, no one actually has to visit the store, it can be an empty parcel, but that ensures LL is getting at least  the price of a premium membership from every store owner.

Perhaps i can explain it another way, make everyone that sells on marketplace be a premium member, how is that?

So, you make it clear your scheme is targeted at small businesses that do not OWN Madlands, rentals Madland or Islands are excluded.

You also make it clear, that this is nothing to do with 'revitalising the Madlands' as you are quite happy for the parcels Island renters would be forced to buy, to remain empty and unused, so we can clearly see your talk about making the Madlands live again is hollow hypocrisy.

And then you come to the real argument, force people to become premium and buy Madland parcels they do not want, JUST to prop up and subsidise the Madlands because you think...

the Mainland IS Second Life. I love having whole continents that i can spend days exploring, and never get to the end of.

Closely followed by a claim that the Islands are just private domains for anti social recluses...

The islands are largely private playgrounds for anti social types that don't want to interact with anyone.

Which will no doubt come as a surprise to all the Islands that are used to host clubs, shops, social areas, hangouts, and all the same activities you find on the Madlands, just in larger quantities.

Your intent is pretty clear, to paraphrase a certain infamous FirstLife Political figure, with the same unpleasant rhetoric...

"Make the Madlands GREAT AGAIN!   And make the ISLANDERS PAY for it!"

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

The sim population overflow reserve is a sweet premium perk too.

I can see how it benefits some..but it's not a benefit for me, lol. I do my best to avoid crowded places. Folks that enjoy crowded, or potentially so, places would definitely benefit from it. As would people that own/rent/whatever those places that can get crowded.  Just like the premium only sandboxes are a great perk for some, but useless to me, because I have loads of them I can use at any time, most of them rather empty to begin with, lol. 

On a related, note...this is why premium subscriptions are very subjective. I can't say what's "worth it" for others...I'd prefer they not say what's "worth it" for me too.  Worth in and of itself is so subjective anyway. 

As of today, the "perks" offered by premium, are of no use, let alone importance, for me and my sl experience. Being able to be a hobbyist merchant is a worthwhile effort for me, folks suggesting I should pay more than I already do, or already have, to be able to enjoy my hobby, obviously have little to no experience with the matter..so they're not very good at making "what LL should do" suggestions regarding requirements of merchants.

LL tried the "no free to play" method, and it didn't work out well for them, they abolished it for good reason, and that was a wise decision on their part. Even now, the "free to play" method isn't exactly what its name suggests, or what some people seem to think it is. One would have to believe non-premium members never bring a dime into sl at all to actually think that. There's a very good reason why so many people opt out of paying for premium membership...and I'm willing to bet that loads of them see no value in it. 

• Like 2

Okay, dammit. I've limited out. I have been around a whole lot of blocks a whole lot of times, and in both SL and RL I've found one thing to be consistently true. People who always refer to the people whose ideas they disagree with by using a derogatory term are unfailingly lacking in any ability whatsoever to carry on a rational conversation.

Madlander is an example of that style. Not once have I seen that person use the term 'mainlander'.

Yeah, I'm talking to you, Klytna. Your words have zero value for me.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Madlander is an example of that style. Not once have I seen that person use the term 'mainlander'.

Yeah, I'm talking to you, Klytna. Your words have zero value for me.

Yeah well I ran out of patience a long time ago, with threads demanding Islanders be charged a special transaction tax to pay for 'reclamation projects' on a certain continent because the self proclaimed Princess of said place and her supporters were upset that empty ugly abandoned wilderness was lowering THEIR property resale values.

I ran out of patience with demands that Islanders should be forced to move to the continents, buy things they don't want, subsidize property they don't own or use, be prevented from running their businesses, or enjoying their homes, and generally treated like some kind of trash by MADLANDERS who just happen to pay half what their land would cost if islanders were not subsidising it.

MAINLANDERS are not the ones demanding Islanders be victimised to subsidise 'Special Snowflake entitlement' BS, MADLANDERS are...

You see no value in my words, I see no value in yours. I guess that makes us even.

Edited by Klytyna
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

All I ever said is there is a way to repopulate the mainland  with eager willing buyers, and put the land flippers out of business.

I think it would be good for everyone, except the land flippers of course.

Your plan doesn't incentivize, it could potentially mandate land ownership for many businesses.  I'd rather leave that choice in the hands of the business owner to decide for themselves, if a storefront is what they want, or need. One of the advantages of the MP has always been that you pay after the sale. This IMO creates an atmosphere that welcomes new business.

So by saying this is good for everyone comes off as a bit of a stretch, because it would remove that option and make it an unnecessary cost.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Klytyna said:

So, you make it clear your scheme is targeted at small businesses that do not OWN Madlands, rentals Madland or Islands are excluded.

You also make it clear, that this is nothing to do with 'revitalising the Madlands' as you are quite happy for the parcels Island renters would be forced to buy, to remain empty and unused, so we can clearly see your talk about making the Madlands live again is hollow hypocrisy.

And then you come to the real argument, force people to become premium and buy Madland parcels they do not want, JUST to prop up and subsidise the Madlands because you think...

Closely followed by a claim that the Islands are just private domains for anti social recluses...

Which will no doubt come as a surprise to all the Islands that are used to host clubs, shops, social areas, hangouts, and all the same activities you find on the Madlands, just in larger quantities.

Your intent is pretty clear, to paraphrase a certain infamous FirstLife Political figure, with the same unpleasant rhetoric...

And all you want is to shut down the mainland, which would be the same as ripping the heart out of second life.

Seriously, how many people would really prefer sitting on their little isolated islands if they could own, really own, mainland.

I'm sure people would abandon the islands if they could buy mainland without having to be gouged  flipper prices, which in the past has been your main complaint. 

All I want is to put the mainland on an equal footing with the islands, and let the people decide where they want to live.

Now that Sansar is open  LL should put some of their high priced talent to work subdividing all the mainland sims into tier sized parcels and list them for $1 L per parcel, just like the islands, then we'll see which is more popular.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Klytyna said:

The mainland is a wasteland of empty sims. Why? because people are unable to buy the abandoned land except by having it put up for auction, then outbidding the land flippers.

Under my plan, all of the abandoned mainland will be partitioned and put up for sale at once with a parcel price of  $1 L per parcel. Lots of people would leave the islands if they could purchase mainland that way.

People live on the islands because they have no choice, not necessarily because they want to.

And, I've seen some horrible 4096 sq m parceled island sims that make the mainland look like a paradise in comparison

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

shut down the mainland, which would be the same as ripping the heart out of second life

YOU believe that, the large amounts of abandoned and for-sale land suggests many others do not.

6 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Seriously, how many people would really prefer sitting on their little isolated islands if they could own, really own, mainland.

There are quite a number of people who choose not to live there, even *gasp* premium people.

7 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'm sure people would abandon the islands if they could buy mainland without having to be gouged  flipper prices

And I'm sure that when Islanders arrived on the Madlands, with their official notices commanding them to buy Madlands dirt, as ordained by the "Committee for UnMadlander Activities" established by the "Billijo Act of 2018", there would be your 'flippers' waiting there to greet them, and cheerfully claiming that the sudden rush of enforced immigrants meant that parcels were in short supply, and that anyone who didn't want to be punished for not owning Madland dirt would simply have to bite the bullet and pay the new 'market rate'. 

Your 'flippers' would have a damn field day, thousands of new customers REQUIRED by SL Law to buy at inflated prices or else? And for the record YOUR complaint is 'flippers', mine is Madlanders demanding Special Snowflake Subsidies whilst sneering at the people who PAY for those subsidies.

14 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

All I want is to put the mainland on an equal footing with the islands, and let the people decide where they want to live

Mosat of them already have, they rent island parcels in preference to renting Madland parcels, one store I know recently closed its full region Madland HQ and relocated to a full Island region, to get away from griefers.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.