SECOND LIFE IS DYING...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The odd question is, if SL is becoming more a game; what game is it ?

Roleplay has dwindled here to the point where that "if drug infested urban blight is not your thing; you are out of luck" (with few exceptions).

Personally I think LL has made some critical errors in Resident Relations and outside Public Relations that -could- be fixed, but will not be because the Great God Sansar is soaking all the developmental attention.

My honest opinion,I think it's like a lot of things,Subjective..

I know I don't do a lot of the things I used to over the years and always seem to be finding new things to fill the gaps or increase time with the ones I have..

SL may be dying for someone somewhere,but for me it still has enough life left in it for me..

It's just not this one thing with one heart..There is a lot of them that have to stop beating first,I think..

Heck ,maybe that's why it's been dying for so many years..

• Like 2

There are about 24,000 regions in SL.

And of those about 7200 are 'Mainland', the rest are the 'Islands'. If Mainland is empty it just sits there, because its Mainland and thus has 'Special Snowflake' status. The Islands only remain as long as somebody is willing to pay LL to own them, and often as not that means as long as somebody else is willing to pay the owner to rent them.

Despite this, regular as clockwork, some clueless buffons come along and scream...

"I wuz wanderin arund on Sansara an Jeogflop an plaices lik dat an dere woz no avis abut, wot up wif dat SL r DYIN! Dooooooom! Dooooooooom!"

If you look at average L$/m2 land prices back during the 2nd Wave Lastnamer invasion, the SL Gold Rush era, you see prices soar from 5ls a m to 12, stay stupidly high during that brief period while the grid expansion teams struggled to keep up with the rush of wouldbe digital land tycoons, then plummet back down as things settled.

May 2008, prices back to under 6ls a m, Disaster! Negative Equity on Madland parcels!  Doooooooom! SL is Dying!

The first of the 3rd Wave Lastnamer invasion were met as they arr5ived by hordes of failed tycoons of the 2nd Wave trekking out screaming "SL is Dying! Turn Back! Abandon Hope!" in 2009 and 2010.

Here we are, 7 years later, and people are still claiming that because Madlander Max's Special Snowflake Abandoned Wilderness is 'empty' that "All is LOST! Evacuate to Project Stupid before we sink into the sea!"

I arrived in SL over 5 1/2 years ago, the DAY I arrived I was told by some arrogant ignorant 2nd Waver Fossilised Permanoob from Planet Dingbat, that "SL is Dying, practically dead, no point in staying, and you noobs who don't even have proper last names... you have destroyed Elite-Para RP, and lowered property values!..." and yet now we have advanced lighting, mesh bodies and clothing, pathfinding, soon prim animations etc. all these new wonders.

Me? I'll happily trade a dozen old fossils who foolishly thought the Mainland would make them rich for no investment of time, effort, skill or capital, , trade them for fitted mesh, advanced lighting and NOT having to listen to their constant whining about how much better it all was in 2007 when any moron could make 2000 l$ an hour busking on a Sansara street corner with an unscripted prim violin.

Meh. Can we form a Shovel Brigade to rebury this Zombie Whine Thread again now please.

Edited by Klytyna
  • Like 2

I think SL is dying. I think there are things LL could do to stem the exodus. 1. Make it mandatory that in order to sell in the Marketplace you need to have an inworld location. My thought is as least 512 sqm. 2. Reduce tier 3. constrict the mainland. I don't see any of these happening until they see if SANSAR is a success or a flop.

1) Yes every store, at least over a certain number of listings  should have a mainland presence. Call it the cost of doing business 

2) Would be nice

3) Not necessary if your first 2 points work out.

:)

Oh and Sansar will be a total complete and unquestionable flop. I mean seriously, how many times will you want to visit a Coca Cola experience?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

1) Yes every store, at least over a certain number of listings  should have a mainland presence. Call it the cost of doing business

2) Would be nice

3) Not necessary if your first 2 points work out.

:)

Oh and Sansar will be a total complete and unquestionable flop. I mean seriously, how many times will you want to visit a Coca Cola experience?

Why the hell would stores have to have a presence in the griefer infested hellhole that is the Madlands, I mean does this really make sense to anyone?

"Dear Successful SL Business Owner, thank you for purchasing 2 FULL Regions out in the Islands for 600 USD each, and paying 295 USD per month per region for your Inworld HQ Flagship Mainstore, however be advised that unless you purchase 512m2 of worthless digital swampland on the continent of JeogFLOP, we will terminate your business.

Yours sincerely,

Madlander Max, the Prim Warrior,

Chairman of the Committee to waste SL resources on Special Snowflake Wasteland"

*rolls eyes at a classic example of the kind of dingbat asshattery that causes threads like this in the first place.*

• Thanks 1

What Secondlife needs is a place where people have to pass through, a nexus, where you meet all the people that you don't normally run into while you were doing the things that interest you. It would serve as a reminder that there are other people in SL that do things you dont care about. There might be a lot of them and SL wouldnt seem like it was dying if you met them.

Edited by Bree Giffen

39 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Why the hell would stores have to have a presence in the griefer infested hellhole that is the Madlands, I mean does this really make sense to anyone?

"Dear Successful SL Business Owner, thank you for purchasing 2 FULL Regions out in the Islands for 600 USD each, and paying 295 USD per month per region for your Inworld HQ Flagship Mainstore, however be advised that unless you purchase 512m2 of worthless digital swampland on the continent of JeogFLOP, we will terminate your business.

Yours sincerely,

Madlander Max, the Prim Warrior,

Chairman of the Committee to waste SL resources on Special Snowflake Wasteland"

*rolls eyes at a classic example of the kind of dingbat asshattery that causes threads like this in the first place.*

512  sq m of mainland was a minumim requirement, if you buy (not rent) 2 full regions, there's no need for that aditional 512.  That was for small business owners that don't own (not rent) anything else.

Besides, no one actually has to visit the store, it can be an empty parcel, but that ensures LL is getting at least  the price of a premium membership from every store owner. 

Perhaps i can explain it another way, make everyone that sells on marketplace be a premium member, how is that?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Perhaps i can explain it another way, make everyone that sells on marketplace be a premium member, how is that?

Sounds like Clueless Madlander Premi-Nazi Entitlement Syndrome to me...

Somebody runs a store in SL, they pay $20 a week to rent a parcel in the Islands, most of which goes in tier to LL, to support SL and keep the grid open and subsidise al those worthless Madlander regions no bugger wants. But that's not good enough for you, you demand they be forced to pay $72 a year for a 512 hovel on the Madlands because... Reasons... Yeah, cool reasons that you cant explain because... You just pull that crap out of your ass...

9 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Besides, no one actually has to visit the store, it can be an empty parcel, but that ensures LL is getting at least  the price of a premium membership from every store owner.

Yay more empty unused Madlander dirt that nobody wants, which noobs will claim, being empty, PROVES SL is DYING Dooooom Dooooom!

Did you forget how this thread started dear?

Many Madlander regions generate no tier because... They are governance financed landscaping etc.

Many Madlander regions generate little or no tier because... They are empty or nearly so.

Many Madlander regions generate lower tier than comparable Island regions because... They are charged at a 'Special Snowflake' lower rate.

There are twice as many Island regions as Madlander regions.

ALL Island regions generate tier, because... If they are not being payed for, they get closed.

The Islands are where the wealth is generated these days, not the Madlands.

Welcome to 2017, time to stop assuming the Madlands are the be-all and end-all of SL, and assuming like the clueless fools who claim SL is dying because they see abandoned Madlander regions, that empty Madlands means SL is dead.

• Haha 1

If we're referring to dying as in a decline from peak, then yes, in that regard it is dying. With that said, I don't believe SL is shutting down anytime soon because it is still turning a tidy profit for LL.

While I haven't given it a lot of thought, I can't say that I like the idea of requiring businesses to have a storefront. The MP affords new business owners the opportunity of having their products available for sale with minimal cost. That IMO is a good thing. If anything, they should do the opposite, and incentivize business owners to have both because it is no longer a necessity for many product types. That position would benefit both LL and the community.

• Like 2

I think @Oz Linden answered that at last week's TPV meeting:

Second Life is not going away ... not even a little bit

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0DS0-cDMmg&feature=youtu.be&t=17m00s)

That's Linden Lab's opinion anyway. Second Life has been going away a little bit at a time for a while of course and it will continue to do so in the foreseeable future but as long as those bits are little, there's no need to panic.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Sounds like Clueless Madlander Premi-Nazi Entitlement Syndrome to me...

Somebody runs a store in SL, they pay $20 a week to rent a parcel in the Islands, most of which goes in tier to LL, to support SL and keep the grid open and subsidise al those worthless Madlander regions no bugger wants. But that's not good enough for you, you demand they be forced to pay $72 a year for a 512 hovel on the Madlands because... Reasons... Yeah, cool reasons that you cant explain because... You just pull that crap out of your ass...

Yay more empty unused Madlander dirt that nobody wants, which noobs will claim, being empty, PROVES SL is DYING Dooooom Dooooom!

Did you forget how this thread started dear?

Many Madlander regions generate no tier because... They are governance financed landscaping etc.

Many Madlander regions generate little or no tier because... They are empty or nearly so.

Many Madlander regions generate lower tier than comparable Island regions because... They are charged at a 'Special Snowflake' lower rate.

There are twice as many Island regions as Madlander regions.

ALL Island regions generate tier, because... If they are not being payed for, they get closed.

The Islands are where the wealth is generated these days, not the Madlands.

Welcome to 2017, time to stop assuming the Madlands are the be-all and end-all of SL, and assuming like the clueless fools who claim SL is dying because they see abandoned Madlander regions, that empty Madlands means SL is dead.

I've already offered a solution to how mainland could be revitalized tomorrow. Perhaps i should offer my suggestion directly to Linden Lab instead of posting about  it here in the forums.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed suggestion to offered a solution

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I've already offered a solution to how mainland could be revitalized tomorrow.

Your problem isn't WHERE you are touting your 'revitalise the Madlands' scheme, it's that you seriously think there NEEDS to be a scheme to revitalise them rather than just closing half of it down.

Your scheme, I think the people at LL know about it already, and as to their opinion of it... Well ask your self this question.

Last year... Did they roll out a fancy scheme to victimise the people who generate their income so as to revitalise the Madlands... Or did they offer a Grandfathering Sale on the Islands to lower tier and encourage the people they make money off, to stay and pay for Island regions.

You've had your answer. Deal with it.

Edited by Klytyna
  • Haha 1

Second Life IS dying. Its an old platform with a neglected backend and gets nothing but patches. Linden Labs has abandoned it for Sansar. You could scream all the problems it has till youre blue in the face and nothing will get done about it. People generally don't give a crap, thats why you see alot of broken links and broken TPs, blah blah blah. Also, old school avatars and anything built on prims instead of mesh. Ive seen a lot of youtube reviews discussing this problem of SL being HEAVILY outdated (why do you think theres so many trolls? Because thats all some sims are good for. Not much else to do!)

Edited by Chrismaky

Chrismaky, aside from them creating a new platform, a patch is the method of delivering updates. So I am not really sure what point it was that you were trying to argue. If anything, I'll be worried when the patches stop, or when cycles are far and few in between. We may not get our way, but this platform among others represents an opportunity to share our thoughts, and voice our concerns. I don't think that giving feedback is a waste of time, but that's just me.

• Like 2

Can't believe in 2013 they thought SL was dying when this topic was made.. 4 years later, SL is still going strong. 

If you begin to think about it, how LL took their time and working on bento and all the hard work they performed, it shows that LL has no plans on shutting down SL anytime soon.

• Like 3

On 7/30/2017 at 5:29 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

512  sq m of mainland was a minumim requirement, if you buy (not rent) 2 full regions, there's no need for that aditional 512.  That was for small business owners that don't own (not rent) anything else.

No, no, no, no

I don't need, nor desire a premium membership right now, it serves me absolutely no good. Perhaps it they actually enhanced the experience beyond giving me "gifts" I don't need, and finding something else that would be worthwhile..maybe. Otherwise, I have no need for it.  I like being a hobbyist merchant. LL gets my fair share of monies from commission fees, and has, over the years gotten what I feel is my fair share of other funds as well, as have countless creators, merchants, and who knows what else, over the years. I don't need an inworld store, nor do I, at this time, want one. I t would be stupid to make this a requirement, because a great deal of merchants are also hobbyists like myself and some of us would be more likely to shut down entirely(thereby losing LL money) than having land, or a premium membership. There are a lot of us only on MP alone, LL makes money off them too. If even a large portion of us shut down because we don't want, or can't(for whatever reason) open an inworld store too, LL would lose money. That would simply be poor business decision on their part. I think they're trying to *avoid this kind of mishap, not create it ;) 

I don't know why people feel that non-premium members don't "pay their fair share", but I assure you, a great deal of us do, and have. Some of us far more than premium members..some of us not..it balances out in the end.

When LL does enough for me to warrant a premium membership, I might pay for one, until then, hell to the no. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl Thibodeaux said:

Can't believe in 2013 they thought SL was dying when this topic was made.. 4 years later, SL is still going strong.

hmm...2013? .... we hear this since the start 14 years ago..

if we got 1 L$ everytime it's said to die in all those years we could pay a mid week or weekend holiday in RL  by processing the credit now.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Chase01 said:

Chrismaky, aside from them creating a new platform, a patch is the method of delivering updates. So I am not really sure what point it was that you were trying to argue. If anything, I'll be worried when the patches stop, or when cycles are far and few in between. We may not get our way, but this platform among others represents an opportunity to share our thoughts, and voice our concerns. I don't think that giving feedback is a waste of time, but that's just me.

That is my point. They are not updates. They are small "fixes". Thats where all that "unscheduled maintenance" crap comes from. What they need to do is to take the whole thing down for a few weeks (thats only due to them neglecting it since 2004) and do some serious updating to its backend so they don't have to "patch" it to make things like bento work. Their method is so stupidly old school its not even funny. They are sitting on a gold mind and letting it age to death.

You know what they did actually update? The forums. Thats it. Since 2004 the ONLY actual update they have done is the forums and that was THIS year. LOL.

Edited by Chrismaky

8 minutes ago, Chrismaky said:

That is my point. They are not updates. They are small "fixes". Thats where all that "unscheduled maintenance" crap comes from. What they need to do is to take the whole thing down for a few weeks (thats only due to them neglecting it since 2004) and do some serious updating to its backend so they don't have to "patch" it to make things like bento work. Their method is so stupidly old school its not even funny. They are sitting on a gold mind and letting it age to death.

You know what they did actually update? The forums. Thats it. Since 2004 the ONLY actual update they have done is the forums and that was THIS year. LOL.

Not sure you really were inworld in the old days, but compared to that there is HARDLY any unscheduled maintenance in the last 5 years. Nearly everything is scheduled.

Patching is just repairing bugs and serious issues... if that's your view on what happened with SL during 14 years i think you will not get a lot of long time players share your thoughts. There has changed really a lot.

Yes it has a old core, but it functions better than ever before.

Closing a few weeks for updating?... it will kill SL. if there's a 5 minute maintenance most start yelling already.

If you want a more perfect thing perhaps Sansar will fit your needs better?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Not sure you really were inworld in the old days, but compared to that there is HARDLY any unscheduled maintenance in the last 5 years. Nearly everything is scheduled.

Patching is just repairing bugs and serious issues... if that's your view on what happened with SL during 14 years i think you will not get a lot of long time players share your thoughts. There has changed really a lot.

Yes it has a old core, but it functions better than ever before.

Closing a few weeks for updating?... it will kill SL. if there's a 5 minute maintenance most start yelling already.

If you want a more perfect thing perhaps Sansar will fit your needs better?

Negative. When you require everyone to look at a status page to see to see if its offline, thats ANCIENT. And when I do actually stumble unto the status page, it always says "unscheduled maintenance". And I tend to check it when I can't log in...like we ALL do. Thats not really scheduled.

Closing down for a few weeks to perform updates and actual fixes is the result of the backend being neglected for so long. Why do you think they created Sansar? They COULD'NT bring VR to Second Life as originally intended without...you guessed it...actually updating and fixing the backend. This is honestly their own fault.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.