Alts Kulled

Nite Planer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Saw this in a notice.....

Linden Labs have recently made the decision to kill older unused accounts from the grid. The reason given for this is that the amount of unused accounts are lagging the inventory servers. If every avatar has just one alternate account, thats twice as much storage is unnecessarily being used. So from October 1 2011, Linden Labs will commence kulling any account that has not been signed into for 60 days.....So if you have alts you want to keep you need to log them in before 10/1/11.

Are they really going to reduce the 22 million SL accounts to a more reasonable number, which will probably come down to a mere 150k residents? Not that I'd disagree with this decision. I think it's great that they are trying to keep the asset and inventory database as lean as possible.

But does this mean that we will have to log our alts in every two months? Do you perhaps have a link to this announcement?

Sounds like a hoax to me.    I will check with live help later today, if i remember, but I can't imagine LL -- bad as they are at communicating at times -- doing something like that without warning us.

I'm wondering, though, how much of an issue all these defunct accounts are.  Yes, they and their inventories are taking up space in LL's database, but other than that, I wonder how much they actually slow stuff down.   

I guess an initial cull of -- say -- all NPIOF accounts more than 18 months old who were less than a week old when they last logged in and who haven't logged in for over a year would free up a lot of space, and probably the people involved wouldn't notice the loss.

Nite, If you are going to post this, you must provide a link to a reputable (i.e., LL) site.

This was a notice posted by Miro Collas of the Phoenix/Firestorm Viewer Support group inworld on 14 Sept 2011:

A baseless rumor has been going around that LL will start culling accounts that have been unused for 60 days. Apparently, it is being said that this originated from this group.

The Phoenix/Firestorm Support Team did NOT say any such thing. Furthermore, never believe something being passed around without being given proof; and please do not spread it further if you have not seen evidence.

Summary: the rumor is just that, a rumor. And it did not originate here.

Thank you.

Like I said it was more the view to see if was true.. i just saw someone post the notice in a group I was in.. Today.. it was what i was looking for too.. if was right or not.. nothing more.. as i said it was posted today.. sorry for any inconvienience .. was not intended.. shocked me too.. my apoligies.. :)

Nite Planer wrote:

Like I said it was more the view to see if was true.. i just saw someone post the notice in a group I was in.. Today.. it was what i was looking for too.. if was right or not.. nothing more.. as i said it was posted today.. sorry for any inconvienience .. was not intended.. shocked me too.. my apoligies..
:)

No biggie... I got the message in one of my groups as well.  My first thought was... no way would LL purposely admit to the fact that so many people have left SL by reducing the amount of "residents" they have in the system... so it had to be a rumor.  This is why you can't find any sort of documentation about it... if it can't be verified, it usually isn't true.

Now, if you want to discuss whether or not that is something they should actually do, fine... but I don't think you'll find many people who'll actually support such a thing.

...Dres

ETA: @Perrie: Lmao!!!

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Are they really going to reduce the 22 million SL accounts to a more reasonable number, which will probably come down to a mere 150k residents? Not that I'd disagree with this decision. I think it's great that they are trying to keep the asset and inventory database as lean as possible.

But does this mean that we will have to log our alts in every two months? Do you perhaps have a link to this announcement?

I think that there are currently ~800,000 unique residents in SL.  If I can find the youtube interview where that was stated, I will post it up.  Either way, an amusing number of alts in SL smiley-50.gif

This announcement doesn't make much sense. Unused accounts aren't just alt accounts. They could be main accounts of people with one account who just haven't logged in much. There's no way to tell which account is a primary or an alt. Plus the warning is less than one month and so obscure that no one can find it on the official blogs? Plus the word 'cull' is a term used to mean killing off wild animals or livestock which goes against the the customer friendly wording that LL would use.

• Community Manager

As long as you're in good standing with Linden Lab (not delinquent with billing or otherwise in violation of the Community Standards and Terms of Service) your Second Life account can remain inactive indefinitely. This means that your avatar and inventory will continue to be stored on our servers.

Conifer Dada wrote:

What LL should do, though, is revert Premium accounts to Basic if they go for a year without logging in (but only after sending several warning messages, both in-world and as emails)

I don't understand what would be the incentive to do this.  As long as people continue paying for premium membership, there's no reason to revert them and, if they stop paying for it, their account would be blocked... as would any account that owes LL money, whether they are premium or not.  This leaves their fate in their own hands... which is the way it should be, as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, the way LL handles non-payment could be improved, but that's a completely different issue.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.