Clothing Options - too many or too little??

Annie Melson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question -- Do you guys like to wear outfits as they are originally designed or do you like as many options as possible?? My husband does not like all of the options - he prefers to wear an outfit as it is originally designed. He likes to keep it simple. I admit I prefer the simple way myself too. I find too many items in a clothing folder to be overwhelming and confusing. What are your thoughts on it?

(Edited to clarify) - I think my question is being misunderstood, so I'll clarify a bit. :) My outfits always come in all layers so people can easily mix and match with other outfits, so that is not a problem or part of my question. What I mean by options is having more than just the originally designed shirt added to the outfit in all layers. For example, I'll have a polo shirt, tank top, and jeans in an outfit. The Polo shirt comes in all layers, the tank top comes in all layers, and the jeans come in all layers. But the originally designed shirt was for the polo shirt and tank top to be worn together. Should the outfit just be simplified to the polo shirt and tank top as the "shirt" and have that in all layers? Do you prefer to wear the shirt as it is originally designed like this? Or should I have each shirt separate in all layers, and then have a combo option in all layers too? It just seems like too much to me. I'd go nuts getting an outfit with so many items in the folder.  Yes have it all in all of the layers so mixing and matching can be done, but just not offer as many articles of clothing in one outfit? You know, just simplify it.

I like to be able to have all the options, but do tend to choose which layers I prefer to wear out of each outfit, and then stuff the remaining layers into an archive box with all the spare bits from other outfits, just in case I change my mind at a later date. 

Also, like Pussycat, over the years I've realised sometimes it's nice to wear certain pieces out of one outfit, with other pieces from other outfits. Handy if they are copyable and you can bung them together in a separate outfit entitled "fave outfit 790" or something like that.

It's rather like real life wardrobe though. If I buy shoes from the store that packs within the box a shoe horn, tin of shoe care cream, and a cloth, I decant it all out, shoes go in a shoe rack with similar styled/coloured shoes, and all the shoe care items go in the shoe care box.  I couldn't leave the box and contents as it was any more than I could keep the original folder full of all the jacket, undershirt, and shirt layers, and all the different length underwear, top layer items all together.  It would take too long to find the shoes I wanted in RL. 

But isn't inventory sorting just a bind?! Hate it. 

Hello to all. I prefer to buy complete outfits but when i find something isolated i like, i purchase and i try to combine it with my other clothes. The clothes i wear and generally my look depends of my mood. Sometimes is very simple some other times not at all. I consider that we have tones of options / variety on Marketplace for all tastes. Noone can complain really.

I buy outfits sometimes and separates at others.   It all depends on what I see that strikes my fancy.   But I also like to be able to mix and match anything in my inventory.   Over the past few years I have tried to purchase only items that are at least copy, and preferably copy/mod so that I can make up my own outfits.   In the end,  I consider everything I own  a separate that I  wear as I like.

I think my question is being misunderstood, so I'll clarify a bit. :) My outfits always come in all layers so people can easily mix and match with other outfits, so that is not a problem or part of my question. What I mean by options is having more than just the originally designed shirt added to the outfit in all layers. For example, I'll have a polo shirt, tank top, and jeans in an outfit. The Polo shirt comes in all layers, the tank top comes in all layers, and the jeans come in all layers. But the originally designed shirt was for the polo shirt and tank top to be worn together. Should the outfit just be simplified to the polo shirt and tank top as the "shirt" and have that in all layers? Do you prefer to wear the shirt as it is originally designed like this? Or should I have each shirt separate in all layers, and then have a combo option in all layers too? It just seems like too much to me. I'd go nuts getting an outfit with so many items in the folder.  Yes have it all in all of the layers so mixing and matching can be done, but just not offer as many articles of clothing in one outfit? You know, just simplify it.

I like to have each piece of the outfit, on each layer..and dont mind paying more to have it that way. Yes, it does make a huuuuge folder....I also like that some designers will add parts with options for resize script or hand modify...even bigggger folder mmhmm...two designers that spring to mind that are good about layers & resizer or not option..SF Design & Arisaris.

One of the problems is knowing right from the start whether the layers in an outfit are identical or different.

So when I get a new outfit with multiple layers, I add them one at a time, starting with t-shirt, then shirt, then jacket as an example.  If they are all identical in appearance I choose the one that for my usage makes the most sense and then save to my outfits when I have finished.  Takes up a touch of time but in the lomg run I find it saves me time.

I do also mix and match all the time.

I prefer tops in all layers because it allows more combinations: a shirt layer from one outfit combined with the jacket layer from another. With bottoms that doesn't matter as much. I've never understood why some shorts and pants I have are on both layers—that just doesn't make sense. About the only time it's mattered is with some lingerie when garter belts are involved.

I am weird about this - whatever type of thing it would be in real life is what I like to have in SL.

Bras, tanks, pantyhose, panties - undershirt/pants layer

Blouses - shirt layer

I don't know why but I hate using the jacket layer of anything unless I have to, like if it's a longer blouse. Doesn't make sense I guess. Maybe cause I don't care for jackets in real life.

For buying outfits in general - I do not like too many options cause that is just more house-cleaning before I can even get started on resizing any prims in the outfit. I also like when it comes with the top and bottom. If it is just a top, that means I have to hunt for a matching bottom. Unless it's at the same store, then I don't mind mixing and matching but ultimately I like to be able to just pick a folder and know everything is in there.

I can appreciate WHY makers put in so many options - to give the buyer choices. Though it is a hassle for some of us to rummage thru, I know it is for the better of the customer in general.

Annie Melson wrote:

Question -- Do you guys like to wear outfits as they are originally designed or do you like as many options as possible?? My husband does not like all of the options - he prefers to wear an outfit as it is originally designed. He likes to keep it simple. I admit I prefer the simple way myself too. I find too many items in a clothing folder to be overwhelming and confusing. What are your thoughts on it?

(Edited to clarify)
- I think my question is being misunderstood, so I'll clarify a bit.
:)
My outfits always come in all layers so people can easily mix and match with other outfits, so that is not a problem or part of my question. What I mean by options is having more than just the originally designed shirt added to the outfit in all layers. For example, I'll have a polo shirt, tank top, and jeans in an outfit. The Polo shirt comes in all layers, the tank top comes in all layers, and the jeans come in all layers. But the originally designed shirt was for the polo shirt and tank top to be worn together. Should the outfit just be simplified to the polo shirt and tank top as the "shirt" and have that in all layers? Do you prefer to wear the shirt as it is originally designed like this? Or should I have each shirt separate in all layers, and then have a combo option in all layers too? It just seems like too much to me. I'd go nuts getting an outfit with so many items in the folder.  Yes have it all in all of the layers so mixing and matching can be done, but just not offer as many articles of clothing in one outfit? You know, just simplify it.

The more options the better!  I do not want two pieces combined into one layer such as your example of a shirt and tank as one layer rather than each separately.  RL clothes aren't sold that way, so why would you even consider that?  I wouldn't buy an outfit that came that way as it restricts my choices and I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth.

For people that find this overwhelming, like yourself, there is a simple fix.  When you first get an outfit, put on the various pieces in logical layers (such as the tank on the underwear layer, the shirt on the shirt layer, a jacket on the jacket layer, etc.)  and figure out what combination matches the overall design you want want to wear when you wear that outfit. Once you know what they are, just delete the other items your not wearing.  Of course this takes away options that you may want to preserve in case you change your mind in the future.  But there is another way to achieve this and still make the outfit simple to wear.

Create a subfolder in the outfits folder and name it 'quick wear'  or something that makes sense to you.  Move the items that you determined is the combination you like into the folder.  Then create another folder named 'other options' and move all the pieces that your not wearing into that.   Then when you want to wear the outfit its a no brainer.  Just wear the items in your quick wear subfolder.  This way you preserve all the options in case you change your mind in the future.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Annie Melson wrote:

(Edited to clarify)
- I think my question is being misunderstood, so I'll clarify a bit.
:)
My outfits always come in all layers so people can easily mix and match with other outfits, so that is not a problem or part of my question. What I mean by options is having more than just the originally designed shirt added to the outfit in all layers. For example, I'll have a polo shirt, tank top, and jeans in an outfit. The Polo shirt comes in all layers, the tank top comes in all layers, and the jeans come in all layers. But the originally designed shirt was for the polo shirt and tank top to be worn together. Should the outfit just be simplified to the polo shirt and tank top as the "shirt" and have that in all layers? Do you prefer to wear the shirt as it is originally designed like this? Or should I have each shirt separate in all layers, and then have a combo option in all layers too? It just seems like too much to me. I'd go nuts getting an outfit with so many items in the folder.  Yes have it all in all of the layers so mixing and matching can be done, but just not offer as many articles of clothing in one outfit? You know, just simplify it.

The more options the better!  I do not want two pieces combined into one layer such as your example of a shirt and tank as one layer rather than each separately.  RL clothes aren't sold that way, so why would you even consider that?  I wouldn't buy an outfit that came that way as it restricts my choices and I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth.

For people that find this overwhelming, like yourself, there is a simple fix. 
When you first get an outfit, put on the various pieces in logical layers (such as the tank on the underwear layer, the shirt on the shirt layer, a jacket on the jacket layer, etc.)  and figure out what combination matches the overall design you want want to wear when you wear that outfit. Once you know what they are, just delete the other items your not wearing.  Of course this takes away options that you may want to preserve in case you change your mind in the future.  But there is another way to achieve this and still make the outfit simple to wear.

Create a subfolder in the outfits folder and name it 'quick wear'  or something that makes sense to you.  Move the items that you determined is the combination you like into the folder.  Then create another folder named 'other options' and move all the pieces that your not wearing into that.   Then when you want to wear the outfit its a no brainer.  Just wear the items in your quick wear subfolder.  This way you preserve all the options in case you change your mind in the future.

Yes, this is what I do.  Also do the same for the different size mesh...you never know when I might want to change my body type/size :)

In general, I like having a lot of choices.  I must say that it escapes me completely why anyone would want a tank top and polo shirt combined in one layer.

There is very much less need for having the same garment in multiple layers since we can wear multiple things of the same layer.  For example, I can see no reason to have something that will never be worn over anything that is not underwear or under anything that is underwear, e.g., a tank top , as anything but shirt or pants layer.  

I do like to have many tops as both jacket and shirt+underpants, so that I can wear them with the tail outside or inside pants.  It would be nice if designers made the names of such garments descriptive, i.e., named the underpants "tucked shirttail."

I think that as mesh clothing becomes more common and accepted, there will be less and less need to be concerned about multiple layers of anything.  I think of a mesh outfit that I wear a lot lately.  I wear underwear layer pants and bra, socks, shirt layer tee shirt, and mesh shirt, pants and boots.  I could dress the same if the bra and tee shirt were both shirts or both undershirts; the only combination that wouldn't work would be a shirt layer bra, which I can see no reason for anyone to be making now that we have a tattoo layer, and an undershirt layer tee shirt, which, with the flexibility that being able to wear multiple shirt layers gives us, I can see no reason for anyone to be still making.

The reason to make the Combo option shirts is for when the design is actually meant for the inner shirt (ie. tank top from my earlier analogy) would hang below the outer shirt (ie. the polo shirt from my analogy) in the untucked style. If you want these to show as both untucked, you'll probably want to have the combo layer. If you didn't, then you could only have the outer shirt untucked. The inner shirt would be tucked in, which would then destroy the whole original style that I was going for.

Now in most newer viewers you can wear multiple layers, like 2 jackets at a time, in order to acheive this look, but there are still many people using older viewers without the "Add" feature. So in this way having the Combo option is a good one. But again, this makes for a HUGE folder....

I can live with huge folders. The addition of multiple layers itself has opened the door for pieces that I rarely used because they were only sold in one layer. Options are extremely important to me because I love piecing together my own outfits, in fact, I spend a majority of my SL shopping and figuring out ways to assemble different pieces together. It's a big disappointment to me to find out that layered tops in an outfit are permanently stuck together. I mean, I could totally use that tanktop by itself, or even with some other top I have laying around in my inventory.

Having the "Outfits" feature just makes this all even more awesome.

Ok, I'm rambling and falling asleep, so I'm not sure if this was even on topic anymore. In conclusion: OPTIONS!

Annie Melson wrote:

Now in most newer viewers you can wear multiple layers, like 2 jackets at a time, in order to acheive this look, but there are still many people using older viewers without the "Add" feature. So in this way having the Combo option is a good one. But again, this makes for a HUGE folder....

II tend to forget that people are still using pre-V2 and V3 viewers.  However, since the later viewers have so many features that make dealing with clothing better and more efficient---mesh, outfits with links, the ability to wear multiple items in each clothing layer, tattoo layer, the ability to wear multiple attachments on each point---that most people with a strong interest in clothing and avatar appearance would be using them.

Annie Melson wrote:

The reason to make the Combo option shirts is for when the design is actually meant for the inner shirt (ie. tank top from my earlier analogy) would hang below the outer shirt (ie. the polo shirt from my analogy) in the untucked style. If you want these to show as both untucked, you'll probably want to have the combo layer. If you didn't, then you could only have the outer shirt untucked. The inner shirt would be tucked in, which would then destroy the whole original style that I was going for.

This  would be another option, which would be great as long as the tank and the shirt were also wearable seperately, and I would welcome it.   But if this were the only option, I wouldn't be interested.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.