Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jo Yardley

my.secondlife.com - social profiles thingy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

According to some blogs this whole my.secondlife.com thing should be working from today onwards.

And I think it does, but is it any good?

So far, no.

Hopefully this profiles thingy will be getting a lot better soon or it will be almost useless, for me anyway.

What I am looking for was a sort of online facebook on the SL site, what I got is twitter and personally I don't get twitter.

my.secondlife.com would be great if:

  • I could send IMs to friends without having to log onto SL
  • I could pay people without having to log onto SL
  • I could send messages and notes to my groups without having to log onto SL
  • I could put events on a group page with a calendar just like in facebook
  • All members of a group could upload photos and comments to a group page just like in facebook

In short, right now the profiles don't offer much I will be using a lot.

But I hope, nay, I asume they soon will be offering a lot more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now it looks like whatever I post to the feed tab of any of my friends will be visible to everybody. There is no warning about that so I can only guess how many people will be duped and post something they don't really want to share with the whole world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Jo Yardley wrote:

According to some blogs this whole my.secondlife.com thing should be working from today onwards.

And I think it does, but is it any good?

So far, no.

Hopefully this profiles thingy will be getting a lot better soon or it will be almost useless, for me anyway.

What I am looking for was a sort of online facebook on the SL site, what I got is twitter and personally I don't get twitter.

my.secondlife.com would be great if:
  • I could send IMs to friends
    without having to log onto SL
  • I could pay people
    without having to log onto SL
    
  • I could send messages and notes to my groups
    without having to log onto SL
    
  • I could put events on a group page with a calendar
    just like in facebook
  • All members of a group could upload photos and comments to a group page
    just like in facebook
    

In short, right now the profiles don't offer much I will be using a lot.

But I hope, nay, I asume they soon will be offering a lot more.

Excellent suggestions! I am toying with mine atm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that now, whenever someone posts something (stupid) on my "social page" I get a notification inworld.

Rather annoying and confusing.

Big clickable url telling me someone did something somewhere on the internet.

Can we turn that off too?

Next thing we know they will be sending  us inworld messages everyone posts anything on any post here on the fora...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! That's good to know. I think the default 'everyone' is too lax and I'd prefer to be able to post some messages which only the recipient could see, but limiting to 'friends' is better than nothing.

Notice also that this setting controls your feed, but how do you know what the settings are for somebody else? It may sound paranoid but I'd like to get a warning somewhere saying who is going to see what I write.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Roseysun Galicia wrote:

For posting messages only the recipient can see use IM. :-)

The new profile wall broadcast message screen is something for everyone to see at one time.  For example if you want your entire friends list to know about an event or something then you can post the message there once. 

 

 

Yes so far this is only a poor man's version of Twitter, not facebook.

I only feel the need to share things with several people if I could share it with groups not my friends who just happen to check my profile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks good so far, very basic but that's fine. As long as they don't go clutter crazy like they did with the viewer. Although I don't see the logic of calling the message board the Home page.

Hopefully they do NOT go the way of facebook and make it a massive spamming program with games, multi tagging, requests, pokes, invites, you have been added to a group with out being asked and the list of user inducing spamming goes on and on... just to try to keep people on their wed site longer.

You want facebook? Go on facebook. You want social networking? See you inworld.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I took a look at my.secondlife.com and it is about the most confusing and unintuitive system I have ever seen. How do I disable it completely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Deltango Vale wrote:

Okay, I took a look at my.secondlife.com and it is about the most confusing and unintuitive system I have ever seen. How do I disable it completely?

Go here. https://my.secondlife.com/settings/privacy login and set to nobody then save;-)

 

ETA .. might be not a good thing though. You might disappear altogether :eek: it mirrors your in-world profile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to be defaulting to everyoine and everything.

No sign of a blog post yet, which is damnably careless.

Since I can't filter any more precisely than "Friends", and that covers a range of connections from business contacts to depraved intimacy, I've deleted my Friends list. It's the only way I can exclude myself from the current system.

It's not as drastic as it might seem: I have "Calling Cards" still. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see why Linden Lab shut down their offices in Europe. With a business presence there, this latest scheme could have been subject to European data privacy laws, and likely illegal.

Defaulting to wide open

No notification to users

If LL want to copy Facebook, why are they copying Facebook's mistakes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

I can see why Linden Lab shut down their offices in Europe. With a business presence there, this latest scheme could have been subject to European data privacy laws, and likely illegal.

As SL is marketed in Europe, don't the European laws apply anyway ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Arkady Arkright wrote:


WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

I can see why Linden Lab shut down their offices in Europe. With a business presence there, this latest scheme could have been subject to European data privacy laws, and likely illegal.

As SL is marketed in Europe, don't the European laws apply anyway ?

i just set it to nobody, i have no real clue what that does and doesn't do, and i havent got the time or inclination to find out.

i don't have a twitface account and i dont want one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Arkady Arkright wrote:


WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

I can see why Linden Lab shut down their offices in Europe. With a business presence there, this latest scheme could have been subject to European data privacy laws, and likely illegal.

As SL is marketed in Europe, don't the European laws apply anyway ?

 

It is not really marketed in Europe. SL is a California-based online service. LL don't advertise in the EU, don't sell anything in the EU, and all their servers are located in the USA. By logging into SL, we EU folk leave European territorial waters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

I used to have my own little profile.

Now I have some kinda feed wall thing.

I guess I can't turn it off.

If you go to Settings > Privacy  & set the feed to "Nobody" the horrendous twitter wall will no longer be the first page of your profile, it disappears and you get to have your info page back as the first thing that people see. 24.gif

I wonder how long before some Lindens turn theirs off .....Such as the head of Support lol  LMAO.gif 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Deltango Vale wrote:

Then LL should stop acting as a European taxman. Why is LL still collecting VAT on behalf of the EU?

LL used to pay EU users Value added tax..but SL grew so much that they couldn't pay it anymore..

Non-resident EU business that provide "Electronically Supplied Services" such as hosted applications, downloadable software and downloadable music, must charge each of its customers VAT according to the VAT rate of the country where the customer resides. 

 

The EU Commission implemented the VAT rule about Electronically Supplied Services by non-EU resident entities in order to level the playing field for EU-based providers of services. The aim is to enable European providers of competitive services to Second Life to compete equally with non-EU-based providers as regards customer taxation. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...