my.secondlife.com - social profiles thingy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DQ Darwin wrote:

Pretty well everything has been said by the above posts, so I'll just add my 2 penny rant to it.

To start with this is just dumb, now everyrhing someone posts to my Feed. I get another gmail notice and another notice in world.

Amusing how you spent time to talk about this here - when in that same time you could have given a look to the privacy settings and set them the way you like.

Opensource Obscure wrote:

DQ Darwin wrote:

Pretty well everything has been said by the above posts, so I'll just add my 2 penny rant to it.

To start with this is just dumb, now everyrhing someone posts to my Feed. I get another gmail notice and another notice in world.

Amusing how you spent time to talk about this here - when in that same time you could have given a look to the privacy settings and set them the way you like.

So pleased you are amused. I'm not:(

Opensource Obscure wrote:

DQ Darwin wrote:

when originally implemented privacy settings (and I believe notifications) were not included.... there were immediate complaints and immediate placement of control features. regardless, given the fact that the defaults are wide open, full speed ahead, and damn the torpedoes, it's still a valid complaint. it's a violation of expected behavior.

Hi Void: I fully agree. Any change of this sort should come with all restrictions imposed as in "OFF". Those with the interest to pursue the program further whatever their respective reason may be, need only go to a linked site present on the main page brought up with http://my.secondlife/ and view a simple video tut.

Restrictions a user can switch on/off on their respective profile should be all encompassing in the user's favour.

I have turned the Feed off and still can post and receive notices when someone posts to me or answers. There is work left to do before it suits me.

Some folks find the most Obscure things amusing, it seems ;)

DQ Darwin wrote:

Hi Void: I fully agree. Any change of this sort should come with all restrictions imposed as in "OFF". Those with the interest to pursue the program further whatever their respective reason may be, need only go to a linked site present on the main page brought up with
and view a simple video tut.

Yeah, I have to agree with Void and you on the default question. I had an email yesterday from someone we know; she mentioned getting an email notification about a post from some else we know; it was of course the Feed. I gave her the directions on how to limit the chaff and I think I even mentioned that I found it odd the default would be EVERYTHING YES EVERYTHING PLEASE.

As it happens I probably won't use it much if at all; I don't use Twitter and it 'looked' to me a lot like Twitter. I don't have anything against it and I do like having a way to contact someone now and then when we're not inworld, but there's no way I can keep up with just a general chat stream running in the background all the time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.