Non-mesh avatars keep out

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Then the non-bento ones I posted would work.

ETA...do you wear the tail when you're naked?  Is it thumbtacked on or super glued?  Because if it's on when you're naked, that seems to me like a human/bunny hybrid thing.  Just sayin'.

That's an interesting question, another one is, how does the tail stick through my clothes? Fortunately. SL doesn't obey the normal laws of reality like in RL

To answer the question, no it never comes off. I don't consider how it is attached, it simply is.

On the other hand sometimes I play a demon, and I replace the bunny ears and tail with demon horns and a demon tail, both prim of course.

demonbj06.png

On 7/7/2024 at 6:36 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I must admit, lara x having slightly larger breasts is tempting, but not enough to outweigh the other differences. Plus having to replace thousands of L's of clothes.

When your 40+ year old car starts needing parts to be replaced that can't be found because they're no longer being manufactured , unless you're a skilled mechanic who can fabricate the necessities on your own , replacing the car is the best bet . :3. Boy is it nice using the most popular bodies which have all the new clothes being made for them ... Instead of stuff from 5-10 years ago, with not much new variety .

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Midnoot said:

When your 40+ year old car starts needing parts to be replaced that can't be found because they're no longer being manufactured , unless you're a skilled mechanic who can fabricate the necessities on your own , replacing the car is the best bet . :3. Boy is it nice using the most popular bodies which have all the new clothes being made for them ... Instead of stuff from 5-10 years ago, with not much new variety .

A forty year old car was built in 1984, if its a popular model there are tons of aftermarket parts for it. I plan on my next car being an 80's or 90's model, because every car built today is pure crap.

I'm currently driving a 94 suburban, it has 260 k miles on it, when the engine goes, I'll have it rebuilt.

You can keep a car running forever.

In fact my plan is to have my next car retrofitted to be totally mechanical, no electronics at all... no 500 dollar sensors that didn't exist 50 years ago, but now must be replaced or the car will not run.

Mechanical points, a carbeurator, mechanical fuel pump, no sensors or electronics anywhere.

I'm sorry, but always having the newest and best is a fools game, because your bright new shiny today is tomorrows old crap. If you like it now, just because something "better" comes along is no reason to replace it.

You are being suckered by the manufacturers.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2024 at 7:14 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I wonder how many "legitimate" new users are turned away / kicked out from places because they don't have mesh yet?

do you remember that time when some clubs had an agelimit, like 30 days, before you could enter.

about as silly, but i do understand, its always about viewpoints.

Posted (edited)

Hook-up clubs in my experience generally have always had criteria for attending, (no shoes at the nude beach) which I suppose people have covered enough, and SL has had restricted spaces since I joined (Gor, or most RP places).

People clearly want spaces where they feel "safe", even if it's an illusion, and they have done so I suppose since society existed. People should be allowed to continue having their little spot that's how they want it. Where it becomes a problem is when it becomes widespread. I think there's something like an 80/20 rule with it, like most things in life. Like the rl gay bar example, when 50% of the people aren't really part of the scene but they like it as a vibe, I can understand why the dudes who started the place/scene get upset that they're being crowded out by people who apparently get offended when approached.

Likewise, so long as these places are a minority, then it's not really exclusionary in a wide sense, because they're just a niche and you can go anywhere else. When 80% of venues are turning you away because of some basic prejudice then it's more of a problem to be looked at I think. Like when you make a grid-wide collection game that's backed by the Lindens directly and hosted on public land, but you can only participate if you rent in a specific estate or you go begging to some self-declared kings and queens of the land. Something like that is definitively exclusionary, whereas someone's teahouse, bathhouse, or yiff pit is just, their small corner.

On the mesh bodies topic, I don't care at all for the standard reborn look, it looks like a caricature to me, and I don't get why it's considered so attractive, but I'm not going to scold anyone for enjoying it. Standard SL heads all look the same to me now, but it's no problem, they're just samey the same way that each mesh head is samey. I'm also annoyed with mesh, since my head was updated to evox and the shape of it changed, and I'm too tired/annoyed to keep fighting it. I was trying to be a good resident and move away from the onion layers of the older head.

Lara-X hands are not rigged the same. I have some elaborate rings and chains I wear on 5.3,  I had to buy a different, new set for a Lara-X outfit I made. At least my favourite store (Neve) is updating/making things for Lara-X so there's hope for me, yet.

Edited by Yorkie Bardeen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

A forty year old car was built in 1984, if its a popular model there are tons of aftermarket parts for it. I plan on my next car being an 80's or 90's model, because every car built today is pure crap.

I'm currently driving a 94 suburban, it has 260 k miles on it, when the engine goes, I'll have it rebuilt.

In fact my plan is to have my next car retrofitted to be totally mechanical, no electronics at all... no 500 dollar sensors that didn't exist 50 years ago, but now must be replaced or the car will not run.

Mechanical points, a carbeurator, mechanical fuel pump, no sensors or electronics anywhere.

I'm sorry, but always having the newest and best is a fools game, because your bright new shiny today is tomorrows old crap. If you like it now, just because something "better" comes along is no reason to replace it.

You are being suckered by the manufacturers.

You have chosen hard mode. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't disagree with your sentiment, and having to sell my 1984 Land Rover when I moved (which is still going today, as a friend of the family owns it) is one of life's regrets. But I just yesterday watched a video about how spare "OEM equivalent" parts like basic gaskets and such are so poorly made now (failing on installation) that it's soon going to be practically impossible to keep any old motors running.

• Like 1

Over here that would mean you are not allowed in several city centres and emission-free zones with that car. It's a bit like not being welcome when you're not 100 % mesh in some clubs in SL :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 7/7/2024 at 10:39 PM, Conifer Dada said:

I wonder if any places have banned any specific brands of mesh bodies.

A few adult places have banned Kemono, because it's almost impossible to get a Kemono avatar to look 18+

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Yorkie Bardeen said:

I don't disagree with your sentiment, and having to sell my 1984 Land Rover when I moved (which is still going today, as a friend of the family owns it) is one of life's regrets. But I just yesterday watched a video about how spare "OEM equivalent" parts like basic gaskets and such are so poorly made now (failing on installation) that it's soon going to be practically impossible to keep any old motors running.

That wasn’t Uncle Tony’s Garage was it?

He has made several videos about how many replacement parts fail right out of the box. A lot of them are made in China.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling

3 hours ago, Alazarin Mondrian said:

Never mind the gratuitouos blackface [it was a product of it's time] but somehow this good old Bonzo Dog nugget manages to sum up the mesh madness in SL

OMG blackface, I’m shocked, shocked I tell you.

*grabbing my teddy bear and running off to hide in my safe room*

4 hours ago, Caitlin Tobias said:

Over here that would mean you are not allowed in several city centres and emission-free zones with that car. It's a bit like not being welcome when you're not 100 % mesh in some clubs in SL :P

Gee I can’t drive into the middle of the city?

So what’s the downside?

😬

On 7/5/2024 at 3:35 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Just my thoughts.  I’ve been away for a week, and the desire to constantly post and reply has been broken. Hopefully I won’t fall back into that rut.

😁

So, how's that working out for you?

• Haha 1

That wasn’t Uncle Tony’s Garage was it?

He has made several videos about how many replacement parts fail right out of the box. A lot of them are made in China.

It was Garbage Time but Uncle Tony has covered it, yeah.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 6:39 AM, Rowan Amore said:
On 7/7/2024 at 5:34 AM, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

This is what I see most people doing with their reborn bodies (below). Tiny upper torso that explodes downwards. There's always been fad body shapes in sl, even when we had system avatars. Anyone remeber the pony rider shape circa 2010?

reborn.jpg

pony rider.jpg

Expand  

R(22).thumb.jpeg.0e61b756576fd890cd7dbec5b448ddf4.jpeg

Spotted inworld just now:

pony.png.5037b254f81c2b50881cca393026309f.png

Maybe that trend is making a comeback? 

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I know a few RP sims who have rules that people use mesh avatars mainly because some RP sims have RP events and take photos and mesh avatars look better on Black Dragon for photos. Every sim owner is different when it comes to what avatars are allowed. 

• Like 2

On 7/7/2024 at 5:39 PM, Conifer Dada said:

I haven't noticed in the few years I've been in SL. But...

Some nudist places don't want zaftig avatars. That's shameful if you ask me, but I can comply with that easily as I happily shape shift. I can always go somewhere else if the joint stinks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JeromFranzic said:
On 7/7/2024 at 11:39 PM, Conifer Dada said:

I haven't noticed in the few years I've been in SL. But...

Some nudist places don't want zaftig avatars. That's shameful if you ask me, but I can comply with that easily as I happily shape shift. I can always go somewhere else if the joint stinks. 

I'm not sure about specific brands of mesh bodies being banned, but some places ban all furries and  "supernatural"/fantasy avatars. I was surprised to learn that recently after trying to show a place I was a regular at to a close friend. I watched him get yelled at then banned by the owner just for being a furry avatar. That rule was not written anywhere, so it was unexpected.

I looked up the zaftig avatars that you mentioned on the Marketplace, and they look fine. It's surprising that they chose to ban that at the nudist places.

People can do whatever they want on the land that they own, I am not disputing that right in any way. But personally, I'd rather not support venues that discriminate based on the type of mesh body a person uses, or whether or not they have one. It's nitpicky to do so, in my opinion. Even though the bans do not directly affect me, I'd rather go elsewhere.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2024 at 2:23 PM, Clem Marques said:

Spotted inworld just now:

pony.png.5037b254f81c2b50881cca393026309f.png

Maybe that trend is making a comeback? 

You mean that was intentional? :o

I always thought that was from wearing too much attachments mixed with too much teleporting..

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.