New SL-Dedicated Social Media, Blogging, and Photography Platform PrimFeed Opens! What Are Your Impressions?

2 hours ago, Jewel Eliot said:

I've already heard several people getting messaged on grid by Luke telling them to change their posts to something that he likes. I guess there's no messaging component to his site yet? But no thanks, I don't need to be harassed by someone micromanaging a "social media" site and asking for money.

You don't have to pay a thing if you don't want to and posting within the TOS which I both read and agree'd to, as should have everyone, isn't difficult. I don't know Luke, only signed up on PrimFeed yesterday and as of now, don't plan on paying for it, at least not in the very near future. I still plan to use Flickr for the bulk of my photo uploads as I'm a Pro member there. Having said that, PrimFeed seems okay so far, as far as social media goes. But I don't personally want an untamed jungle. I prefer some moderation on sites, or we'll be stuck with a "formerly known as Twitter but now a cesspool" clone.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jewel Eliot said:

I've already heard several people getting messaged on grid by Luke telling them to change their posts to something that he likes. I guess there's no messaging component to his site yet? But no thanks, I don't need to be harassed by someone micromanaging a "social media" site and asking for money.

Can you provide citations for that? Screenshots of posts or actual people willing to come tell that story?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Can you provide citations for that? Screenshots of posts or actual people willing to come tell that story?

If what Luke has said above is true, these sorts of posts have been the way the site does moderation, for now at least. So he's been posting on people's feed(?) about their violations of the platform's ToS? But I've only seen general reminders from him, not targeted comments.

Presumably at some point Primfeed will have a more sophisticated (and maybe partially automated) way to respond to violations.

• Like 4

They're already trying to get around spam filters because they KNOW what it is.. spam

Wouldn't complain if obscuring words like "Giveaway" or "Like" in order to get around filters led to immediate bans from the platform.

giveaway spam.png

Edited by xDancingStarx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Jewel Eliot said:

I assume you've never written a comment that breaks TOS in the SL Community, or Twitter, or Reddit, or any social media for that matter?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If what Luke has said above is true, these sorts of posts have been the way the site does moderation, for now at least. So he's been posting on people's feed(?) about their violations of the platform's ToS? But I've only seen general reminders from him, not targeted comments.

Presumably at some point Primfeed will have a more sophisticated (and maybe partially automated) way to respond to violations.

Yup, I personally see an inbox in the future for those sorts of messages. That way if a post is deleted, they can then im you and inform you why it was deleted.  And which rule was broken. 

However, Primfeed doesn't yet have IMs or PMs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Click on the viewer in question, there will be a link to a privacy policy. This is a requirement to be included in the listing.

With that in mind, whom here is old enough like me (at this point I should just be wearing my granny avatar in sl with my age!)  remembers why Firestorm came about? What happened to the viewer before it that most of us were logging into?

There's always a risk of some data storage, leakage, and nefarious activity in any software and in any company.  They usually have security for that, but unfortunately there's always a risk.

Bottomline,  the whole context is that we rely on LL define what is approved.  We have been okay with third party viewers based on LL blessing them on their list. Yet,  when LL blessed Primfeed by introducing it, we do not take that as enough.   When in theory it should be. If LL's approval is what is driving someone to feel "safe" with a software. It seems there's more to it than just LL's approval though, and no one seems to really be able to articulate that.

Edited by Irina Forwzy
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Irina Forwzy said:

Bottomline,  the whole context is that we rely on LL define what is approved.  We have been okay with third party viewers based on LL blessing them on their list. Yet,  when LL blessed Primfeed by introducing it, we do not take that as enough.   When in theory it should be. If LL's approval is what is driving someone to feel "safe" with a software. It seems there's more to it than just LL's approval though, and no one seems to really be able to articulate that.

No TPV is "blessed" by Linden Lab. Neither is any external resident operated website, service or community.

Linden post on reddit. Does that mean our sub, it's content, community, rules, moderation or moderators are in anyway blessed? Hell no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

No TPV is "blessed" by Linden Lab. Neither is any external resident operated website, service or community.

Linden post on reddit. Does that mean our sub, it's content, community, rules, moderation or moderators are in anyway blessed? Hell no.

But it's approved.  For now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I wouldn't say that at all. Participation does not equate to endorsement.

We know LL has previously blocked and requested certain services and outside websites to stop operations.  At current time, they have accepted Primfeed and have even included it within their SLB coms. 

That is not just participation.

Of course, can things change?  Sure, they can. Right now they have accepted it. They can modify their TOS in the future and ban it or buy into it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, discussionbot said:

What data do TPVs like Catznip or Firestorm collect?

The same data that website log files collect. Of course, it's up to the website/server owner to decide exactly what to collect in the log files, but IP addresses are almost certainly included, and probably browser data too.

Whether or not they actually make use of the data is another matter, of course, but it's there if they want to. An earlier version of Firestorm was guilty of a really dirty trick with users of it and LL banned its use because of it. The point I was making is that we all entrust data to people we don't know when we use their programmes and when we visit their websites, so objecting to it with Primfeed is just silly, which is what a TPV developer (an SL user) was doing. That's why I posted.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Okay, now that the off topic gratuitous personal attack is over, do we carry on about how we feel about this new site and what info might be collected?

On that score, it's worth noting that the platform now apparently has a "block" feature, which is an important addition for all sorts of reasons.

ETA: You do this by going to the person's profile, and clicking on the "..." to the right, next to the "Follow" button.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

On that score, it's worth noting that the platform now apparently has a "block" feature, which is an important addition for all sorts of reasons.

ETA: You do this by going to the person's profile, and clicking on the "..." to the right, next to the "Follow" button.

I'd been holding back and waiting for that block function.  I really don't want to be inundated with store announcements and bloggers.  I get request adds from those all the time on Flickr and always decline.  I just want regular people posting regular stuff.

• Like 6

On 6/24/2024 at 11:55 PM, Luke Rowley said:

Yes, this is called moderation. Users not following the ToS are getting messages by me to kindly ask them to follow the ToS they accepted when signing up. 

This does sound like quite a burden. Though your published terms refer to a team (for moderation).
But you still have some single points of failure in the terms.
Yourself.
Requesting permissions, DPO, account management, and general contact aimed expected time 72 hours.

Are you never going to teleport to travel regions? SL has a habit of dropping messages at that time, or so it seems from the occasional "so and so started typing" next session post conversation. While you do lean more to notecards, you've included instant message and attached a suggested timeframe for turn around.

How do you plan to deal with technical failures and delays beyond your control, and absences pushing you past your suggested expectation?

I've seen nothing but positivity, haven't seen any form of negativity yet. It's more friendly, than the forums, that's for sure. Not to mention, there are so many cute avatars that you can see in the gallery, it might be primitive but it seems to be very welcomed among a high amount of inworld users.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Starberry Passion said:

I've seen nothing but positivity, haven't seen any form of negativity yet. It's more friendly, than the forums, that's for sure. Not to mention, there are so many cute avatars that you can see in the gallery, it might be primitive but it seems to be very welcomed among a high amount of inworld users.

I like it so far. I don't use it too much, but then, I'm not very "social". So far, though, from what I've seen, it's nice. Like @Rowan Amore, said, though...I'd like to be able to have a little more control over having to scroll past a lot of Ads before I see original Avatar content/posts. Otherwise, it appears to be taking off nicely and I'm sure, over time, other features will be added.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Starberry Passion said:

Bar can not be lower there, but I agree. 😂

• Like 1

It is fun shifting through the pictures, I do wish there was more functionality though.  I'm not seeing nearly as many ads, but have set the rating to G and M, so that may have an impact.  I would like to have the ability to see who is on my followed list, so that I can check out any updates people have made because I miss a day or two before going back to explore it.  

It is definitely still popular though, even with just the G M rating, in discover there are a lot of people posting images.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

It is fun shifting through the pictures, I do wish there was more functionality though.  I'm not seeing nearly as many ads, but have set the rating to G and M, so that may have an impact.  I would like to have the ability to see who is on my followed list, so that I can check out any updates people have made because I miss a day or two before going back to explore it.  

It is definitely still popular though, even with just the G M rating, in discover there are a lot of people posting images.

You can see who is following, you could see that from the start. Go to your profile, press where it says followers and it'll open up a menu that shows who are all following or you are following.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1