New SL-Dedicated Social Media, Blogging, and Photography Platform PrimFeed Opens! What Are Your Impressions?

5 hours ago, Istelathis said:

Here is the TOS for anyone interested

https://docs.primfeed.com/terms-of-service

i can write any rule as TOS, but what is that worth when there's no legal status for the website than being a website?
What's the guarantee for all the gdpr and privacy rules? Do they comply EU laws, USA laws? .. 

To many blanks and not reading about control on that.

The subscription fees are understandable, but quite hight when looking at the yearly costs.. nearly 70% of a premium membership for SL. And who.. what pays for the free accounts? Like all social media, free means pays in a other way...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ineffable Mote said:

It feels like an alpha version on launch day. But LL would probably do well to buy it out for a generous if relatively small sum and officially tie it in to profiles, replacing the older profile feeds as LL's implementation of those always seemed kind of sloppy and halfwitted at best. Maybe throw in the guy's blog site too at a glance, to better balance things out. Writing logs and picture logs both, for virtual ventures, and could properly make up for getting rid of the old interests tab which a few people seemed to complain about.

I would not be surprised if LL does this if they realize it's doing well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Irina Forwzy said:

I would not be surprised if LL does this if they realize it's doing well.

and that will turn out wonderfull .. what possible could go wrong.

the amount of work on SL and all websites needs several years work to get up to date, imagine also running social media gets part of it. Not to forget inworld issues that take/took very long times to get solved.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and that will turn out wonderfull .. what possible could go wrong.

To be honest though, most smaller companies bought out by the bigger ones end up in the same creaky boat with a lot of holes and some wine corks trying to act as bandages.

I got PTSD from one of these situations.

Edited by Irina Forwzy

I'm struggling a bit to find information. From what I gather, the limitation for free accounts is set to 1500x1500? That's kind of killer. I don't think I'm willing to crop my shots or scale them to postage levels just to see if I like the website.

How does it enforce that? Autoscale? Autocrop? Reject at upload? If the process is anything but seamless, this will likely kill it for the casual users too that just want to post their latest snapshot quick. I reckon most users float on a 1920x1080 resolution. Odd choice.

I'm firmly in the wait and see territory. I wish them well but I'm skeptical it'll take off like that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The general look is "Twitter," but overall the feel is more Flickr. I am not seeing a whole lot of text-only posts, and very little actual interaction, relatively speaking (possibly because I don't think there is a way to respond directly to someone else's comment on a post). It may of course end up with its toxic corners -- even Flickr has its dramafests -- but so far it looks safe.

While browsing through the Discover section I saw this:

lotsareplies.thumb.jpg.afc6c05ec563a8b4ff3b422515f0b434.jpg

There has to be a way to reply to posts, I just haven't figured it out yet. 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

I'm struggling a bit to find information. From what I gather, the limitation for free accounts is set to 1500x1500? That's kind of killer. I don't think I'm willing to crop my shots or scale them to postage levels just to see if I like the website.

Yes, it's too small to make this very worthwhile if you care about the quality of your pics, and don't want to subscribe. Although it's not as bad as I thought, tbh -- more or less the same resolution as pics on Twitter I think.

I'm not sure how this works yet either, though. If they're smart, it works like Twitter, automatically resizing images. I know I uploaded one that had one side at 2000px, and it didn't stop me. As you suggest, they need to make this easy for the punters.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

While browsing through the Discover section I saw this

At the moment, my feed there is about 80% photos by one guy who seems to be systematically dumping his entire inventory of images, probably from Flickr, into his Primfeed account.

Another 15% of of my feed is ads for store giveaways.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

At the moment, my feed there is about 80% photos by one guy who seems to be systematically dumping his entire inventory of images, probably from Flickr, into his Primfeed account.

Another 15% of of my feed is ads for store giveaways.

Hopefully, it will slow down eventually.  I was completely wrong about the quoting, I think it is just nested sharing of other people's posts.  It is not really my style of dialogue, I prefer a back and fourth, replying to the comments and being notified when someone replies to you.  I think that we are a relatively small community, so the sharing of posts will probably not be as necessary and flood their site in a chaotic manner that makes it difficult to have dialogue.

I'll pop in and out over the next few weeks, and check out how it is doing, I expect there will be a bunch of updates.

• Like 2

Personally, I don't have any use for it, I keep my second life on the second life platform, that is, in-world and this forum. Blogging, social media, and such, are things I already mostly avoid in my private first life, had to join more things than I care for professional reasons.

In the past, I've had to switch to using some off-platform sites, when role-playing sims started to switch to application and character creation forms on websites from the "good old" norecards, and on some you need to use HUDs that are connected to off-world. I'm not a fan of off-platform anything. As long as it's on-platform, at least I know it's by LL, and if anything is, there are real names and identities behind it. Off-platform, who knows. 

So, I'll pass, not even interesting enough to check out. Again, to me, personally. But for people who enjoy photography, blogging, etc., as their Second Life persona, and trust those sites enough with their data and such, as far as needed, and see advantages compared to Flickr and whatever else they are using so far, and time amd headspace for yet another account, sure, try it out, why not.

Well, I might still benefit from it, in form of interesting forum threads ;)

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, InnerCity Elf said:

Personally, I don't have any use for it, I keep my second life on the second life platform, that is, in-world and this forum. Blogging, social media, and such, are things I already mostly avoid in my private first life, had to join more things than I care for professional reasons.

In the past, I've had to switch to using some off-platform sites, when role-playing sims started to switch to application and character creation forms on websites from the "good old" norecards, and on some you need to use HUDs that are connected to off-world. I'm not a fan of off-platform anything. As long as it's on-platform, at least I know it's by LL, and if anything is, there are real names and identities behind it. Off-platform, who knows. 

So, I'll pass, not even interesting enough to check out. Again, to me, personally. But for people who enjoy photography, blogging, etc., as their Second Life persona, and trust those sites enough with their data and such, as far as needed, and see advantages compared to Flickr and whatever else they are using so far, and time amd headspace for yet another account, sure, try it out, why not.

Well, I might still benefit from it, in form of interesting forum threads ;)

In general, I agree with much of what you say here.

Someone above suggested that LL might eventually buy this out, and take it over. That's not unheard of, of course, and could happen -- although anyone who remembers what a hash they made of Avatars United and the subsequent MySecondLife feeds might have cause to worry about what they'd do to it.

But honestly it would be best if SL had it's own social media platform, closely connected to in-world identities (as this one is). The communication tools on this platform are dreadful -- even LL itself has a problem sending announcements and news to residents. It would be not a bad thing if they could take this over and make good use of it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In general, I agree with much of what you say here.

Someone above suggested that LL might eventually buy this out, and take it over. That's not unheard of, of course, and could happen -- although anyone who remembers what a hash they made of Avatars United and the subsequent MySecondLife feeds might have cause to worry about what they'd do to it.

But honestly it would be best if SL had it's own social media platform, closely connected to in-world identities (as this one is). The communication tools on this platform are dreadful -- even LL itself has a problem sending announcements and news to residents. It would be not a bad thing if they could take this over and make good use of it.

Yeah, well, that's a double-faced thing. I hope they didn't start it with the goal of being bought up, I think that happens quite a lot. Resourceful and entrepreneurial spirit, granted, but, in my opinion, not fair towards users. If people need or want more from SL in that department than it offers, like a blog or more dedicated photography space than the forum, in my mind, SL should create and offer it themselves. Well, we'll see how it'll turn out. Hopefully in the best way for interested residents :)

• Like 1

I hope they do get a block/ignore button soon, to be honest.

I like the site so far, it's brand new and can't wait to see it in the future. There are already people in there that I see are very cute, I see a few anime avatars and I see a lot of Gothic avatars which is amazing.

I don't want it to become a place like Virtual Secrets or a place where someone just comes along and think it's SL forums and gripe about how people look there.

However, one thing I am already hating... A.I art is popping up left and right.

Edited by Starberry Passion
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

I hope they do get a block/ignore button soon, to be honest.

This, as well as what @Scylla Rhiadra noted, replying to comments, in addition adding the ability to post pictures in comments, video, and being notified when someone replies.  One thing I have yet to find, is how to search for specific content, such as if I want to see posts from anyone regarding, say, Cheetos, I would like to have a search that finds it.  Also, image links so that we can share on the forums, as well on sites such as blogs.  Also, incredibly important in my opinion, is the ability to embed videos, I just tried and all it showed was the link.

There is a lot of functionality I would like to see on this site, with that said I know it is still new, and I don't want to come off as though I am being completely negative, I appreciate that it exists.  I want to see this site prosper, I hope it becomes a tool for us all to use and socialize with one another.  Considering, from what I have heard, this is all being produced by one person, I am impressed with it so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

even LL itself has a problem sending announcements and news to residents.

because they don't want to. Very simple. 
It's really not impossible to make a systemmessage with links to the source. If people still not read it, that's totally on themselves.

3 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

This, as well as what @Scylla Rhiadra noted, replying to comments, in addition adding the ability to post pictures in comments, video, and being notified when someone replies.  One thing I have yet to find, is how to search for specific content, such as if I want to see posts from anyone regarding, say, Cheetos, I would like to have a search that finds it.  Also, image links so that we can share on the forums, as well on sites such as blogs.  Also, incredibly important in my opinion, is the ability to embed videos, I just tried and all it showed was the link.

There is a lot of functionality I would like to see on this site, with that said I know it is still new, and I don't want to come off as though I am being completely negative, I appreciate that it exists.  I want to see this site prosper, I hope it becomes a tool for us all to use and socialize with one another.  Considering, from what I have heard, this is all being produced by one person, I am impressed with it so far. 

I kinda don't want people to be able to post their photos in my comments, when they can already post photos in their own posts, Why? Because looking at groups and stuff, people tend to try to drown out the original poster every time they throw out a photo and go like, "Look at me, I'm hotter!" It's the same on twitter. You post a photo and a bunch of O.F. models post their photos on your stuff and try to get a traffic to them instead.

If it gets implemented, I hope that I am wrong and it goes well.

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Fair criticisms.

One think I've noted, which may change as the platform grows -- I'm seeing a LOT of store ads on my feed.

Eww. Ads?!

Are people linking to posts there in picture threads here?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Eww. Ads?!

Are people linking to posts there in picture threads here?

Not yet, that I've seen.

And yes . . . ads. Again, blogging for stores was one of the points of this platform. Plus, a number of early adapters seem to be stores.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Which means technicallyyyyyy it could mayyyyybe one day pull more

Your profile picture can be pulled out because it's already publicly available: 

https://my-secondlife-agni.akamaized.net/users/ayashe.ninetails/sl_image.png

Your SL inventory items aren't.

Primfeed does not ask for your SL password. You can use an entirely new one.

I believe the creator does this with his heart in the right place, not to make a quick buck out of anyone, very much unlike Flickr. He made it because he, like many others, had enough of Flickr and its ambiguous policies and bad customer service.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 4

The only reason I'm considering creating an account there, is to keep up with my favorite stores, that's what I use flicker for too, my feed there is all about this new site, lots of stors are moving there for good!! I think that's reckless and bad move, I don't like it; slow down a bit with all this hype, I feel like I'm kinda forced to creat an account to keep up with them!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i can write any rule as TOS, but what is that worth when there's no legal status for the website than being a website?
What's the guarantee for all the gdpr and privacy rules? Do they comply EU laws, USA laws? .. 

To many blanks and not reading about control on that.

The subscription fees are understandable, but quite hight when looking at the yearly costs.. nearly 70% of a premium membership for SL. And who.. what pays for the free accounts? Like all social media, free means pays in a other way...

So they are wanting like around 70.00 USD for a yearly subscription?

Do they have monthly and quarterly?

I'm just mainly curious is all..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SarahThe Wanderer said:

The only reason I'm considering creating an account there, is to keep up with my favorite stores, that's what I use flicker for too, my feed there is all about this new site, lots of stors are moving there for good!! I think that's reckless and bad move, I don't like it; slow down a bit with all this hype, I feel like I'm kinda forced to creat an account to keep up with them!!

Myself, I would wait it out a bit until the hype wears off some and see what really happens once the smoke clears, because you may not even need it..

• Like 1