Discuss or Comments about Child, Adult, Can't Tell Thread

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Like others here, I'm a bit bemused, but also enlightened, by the overall reactions to my pic, which was supposed to represent a roughly 15 year old.

Your photo was the only one I initially questioned, but after zooming in and debating for a few minutes, I decided she was over 18 (but I admit that I may have been influenced by others who had already responded). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

One of the "gotchas" for ME at least is, "I feel like I know you". 

So, I'll automatically look for what's different.

You didn't look too different "to me". (Face, body, etc.)

Your clothes were different, not a big enough factor.

Your hair was different, "ah, a red herring".

Judgement says, "Not different enough! It's Scylla at a similar age!"

Valid. I think I'm using my normal skin there, so if anything I might just look like a "younger" version of me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

My opinions are not formed by that smear article. My opinions are formed by actual clinical literature, and testimony by mental health professionals who work with people who offend against children. 

But um yeah and I still find it weird and it is not my thing. But cartoon characters, that look like children, are not actual children. So how can you sit there and compare say Dennis the Menace to an actual child. That is absolutely unfounded and disengenuous. 

Just now, SarahThe Wanderer said:

What i saw in that thread, is people mostly just "showing off" thier avatars, only few are related to the the topic!

I would disagree. There were only one or two clear "child" avatars, but several avatars that could read as either teenager under the age of majority OR teenager over the age of majority. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If it didn't potentially leave me open to a nasty AR, it would be interesting to "test out" that particular look by taking her to an adult club -- not a sex club, but just one rated "Adult." Or maybe just a Moderate place where it specifies "no child avatars."

But given the moral panic and possible ramifications, I think not . . .

I would think a different setting like a club would lead one to age her as being 18 or over, It was the classroom that made me think Student.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

I would think a different setting like a club would lead one to age her a being 18 or over, It was the classroom that made me think Student.

Quite possibly yes. Once again demonstrating how tricky this is, and how many factors are involved.

• Like 4

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

But um yeah and I still find it weird and it is not my thing. But cartoon characters, that look like children, are not actual children. So how can you sit there and compare say Dennis the Menace to an actual child. That is absolutely unfounded and disengenuous. 

I think you've missed the point. The new policy forbids the sexualized depiction of minors. It doesn't matter who's doing the depiction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Like others here, I'm a bit bemused, but also enlightened, by the overall reactions to my pic, which was supposed to represent a roughly 15 year old.

Now, in fairness, I didn't put an awful lot of work into making her look younger. I used the Genus "Babyface" head, which gives a generally younger look, adjusted the shape to reduce breast and hips, and put her in a baggy hoodie. But she's using an adult skin.

But I'd have thought that the context of the pic -- clearly a school classroom -- might also have contributed to seeing her as younger?

Just shows to go ya . . . representing age isn't a simple thing.

I disregarded the background and focused more on what appeared to be a clean washed face and loose clothing. I thought you're either a young mother-earth teacher or perhaps a young high school student. I really wasn't sure that's why I was confused.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Now, in fairness, I didn't put an awful lot of work into making her look younger. I used the Genus "Babyface" head, which gives a generally younger look, adjusted the shape to reduce breast and hips, and put her in a baggy hoodie. But she's using an adult skin.

But I'd have thought that the context of the pic -- clearly a school classroom -- might also have contributed to seeing her as younger?

Just shows to go ya . . . representing age isn't a simple thing.

Outfit, setting, overall look had me think "college student" which tend to be 18+. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SarahThe Wanderer said:

What i saw in that thread, is people mostly just "showing off" thier avatars, only few are related to the the topic!

Not for me. I was genuinely curious as to what others thought my borderline avatar was in terms of age. I am somewhat surprised how many took her as being 18 or over.

• Like 2

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

The thread needs more male and non-binary avies.

I'll wait. 😄

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvZxXBMpXdj9OosGbGcAF

I do wonder if people would be tempted to uncharitably rate gender-nonconforming avatars as suspect, because of the weird cultural perception that gender non-conforming people are performing a fetish. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I think you've missed the point. The new policy forbids the sexualized depiction of minors. It doesn't matter who's doing the depiction. 

But um Child avatars are not minors by any means. They are adults behind that avatar. So it should be worded as the sexualized depiction of Child avatars. That wording is terrible. It treats child avatars like actual children. I mean it is creepy and weird that people get off on this. But the wording is totally off. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Kristy Aurelia said:

My avatar got quite a few confused faces. I think it is mostly due to my 'kawaii lolita' style and long pink hair.

For me it was the head. I put confused though so if I were in charge of bouncing from an adult venue I'd have to know more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

There are tons of countries in the world were the "act" of ca/cp, imagery (films, pictures) and depiction (3d rendering, cartoons) are against the law.

• Thanks 4

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

But um Child avatars are not minors by any means. They are adults behind that avatar. So it should be worded as the sexualized depiction of Child avatars. That wording is terrible. It treats child avatars like actual children. I mean it is creepy and weird that people get off on this. But the wording is totally off. 

Sis, it is against terms of service to depict minors, real or imaginary, in sexual situations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dorientje Woller said:

There are tons of countries in the world were the "act" of ca/cp, imagery (films, pictures) and depiction (3d rendering, cartoons) are against the law.

Again as creepy and as weird as I find it. I don't think it equates to that. As you can't hurt a cartoon character, you can't traumatize it. I am sorry but I disagree with this, and this basically waters down and craps on victims who actually went through all this. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I do wonder if people would be tempted to uncharitably rate gender-nonconforming avatars as suspect, because of the weird cultural perception that gender non-conforming people are performing a fetish. 

I could test it. If nobody else has nonconforming avies to contribute after a bit, I can toss one in. Human ones, I promise. 🤣

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Kristy Aurelia said:

My avatar got quite a few confused faces. I think it is mostly due to my 'kawaii lolita' style and long pink hair.

I thought it more the face that made me choose the way I did. It is a pretty look but the face really made question it.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
Grammer
  • Like 1

Who can really tell the difference between a 17 year old and an 18 year old? 

If the avatar looks like a child before puberty then it's an easy decision but some avatars look teenaged but deciding which side of 18 they are on can be a little difficult. I don't think reporting children is going to be an issue at all seeing how this test is going but teens are going to be full of edge cases.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Again as creepy and as weird as I find it. I don't think it equates to that. As you can't hurt a cartoon character, you can't traumatize it. I am sorry but I disagree with this, and this basically waters down and craps on victims who actually went through all this. 

By saying this, do you mean you completely disagree with the ban on AP in SL because we're all adults?   Genuinely confused as hell by your remarks because.that what it's sounding like.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2