Will The New TOS on Child Avatars Ensnare Short Adults?

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

These were taken today.  The one on the left is my usual height of 5'9".  Never been questioned about my age.  The one on the right is my avatar at 5'4".  Not really that big of a visual difference. 

Height aside (irrelevant to my question), how old do you think that you look in either of those pictures?

I would hazard to say, that to me, you look a little younger than usual. (Possibly more what you are wearing + hair ribbons? Hard to say.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Nvm what I said I stand corrected.(My avatar's height is like 1.82 Meters tall even though it's a anime avatar.)   

Edited by Wincil

3 minutes ago, Wincil said:

Tbh I don't think sl can afford a other moral panic Im pretty sure that would kill of sl. 

i'm pretty sure that the adult behaving adult is still pretty safe. And that doesn't mean only adult avatars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, I REALLY regret saying "ponytails" yesterday, as I meant "pigtails" but somehow "ponytails" stuck with a few people (not necessarily you, comments in another thread).

As I mentioned in that other thread, I don't see pigtails any differently. Maybe it's because I used to know a guy who wore his hair like that. Very tall guy, mid-late 20s at the time, goth, into EGL fashion and wore frills and dresses and makeup. I guess I just don't see why pigtails would be limited solely to children (girls, in particular). But you already know my views on stuff like this.

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Saw a great series of pics (on a TikTok) yesterday of hairstyles in different African countries pre-colonization.  They were really, really cool. I had seen a few before but not all of them.

They are absolutely gorgeous, but I just don't have the kind of patience it takes to rock some of them. I used to wear box braids with extensions growing up and I'm not exaggerating when I say it would be a 14+ hour process to put them in.

I am thankful I can wear those styles in SL without having to sit still in a chair, so there's that.

7 minutes ago, Wincil said:

Tbh I don't think sl can afford a other moral panic Im pretty sure that would kill off sl. 

SL isn't having a moral panic.

12 people on forums, used by less than one tenth of one percent of the concurrently active user base, don't have anything else to talk about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Same song in a new thread.
Will it make over 200 pages of rinse and repeat too?

Appears my question, which I've now removed, was answered two posts or so down from this one. So I'll "." my question.

Edited by Lexxi Gynoid
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

What, specifically, has changed for you?   Do you think there's any serious risk of someone seeing your avatar and saying "No way she's 18"?

whats changed is that since under 18s are no longer allowed on Adult sims, someone could look at me say oh shes awefully short, MAYBE shes underage.

Its an easy report to make “underage avi on Adult sim”

Like i said before, if i was 7 ft tall, my look , including everything i am wearing wouldnt raise an eyebrow, but im not, im short, and that is what  might cause people to AR me for being underage.

Maybe im making too big a deal out of, but one worries about things.

At least Im not worried about the AR an ex friend said he was gonna file in me the other day 😁

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff

Posted (edited)

Do you ever make any other comment? Or just variations of this one here?

Re: Confused reaction: above is what I'd originally asked.  Then saw more comments. Though variations of the same. 

Edited by Lexxi Gynoid

40 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, I REALLY regret saying "ponytails" yesterday, as I meant "pigtails" but somehow "ponytails" stuck with a few people (not necessarily you, comments in another thread).

Do yourself a favor and google pigtails on adults. It's not uncommon at all! One of my favorite pigtail wearing adults .. never thought she was anything but an adult. 

True Confessions: Pigtails Hair at 40 | The Budget Fashionista

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Height aside (irrelevant to my question), how old do you think that you look in either of those pictures?

I would hazard to say, that to me, you look a little younger than usual. (Possibly more what you are wearing + hair ribbons? Hard to say.)

I look younger because of the dress and hair but the height/shape/skin are all the same.  A close-up of my face would show some crow's feet that I added.   My point is, and in keeping with the subject of the thread, my height has never once been called into question in regard to the age of my avatar and I'm almost always in Adult regions.

If someone were to report me, LL could look at my Flickr, for instance, and see how I look overall.  Check my IM history and find nothing. Check local chat where I've been reported and find nothing.  So thinking I might somehow be permabanned just because someone reports me for being short in an Adult region?  Yeah, not even on my radar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

whats changed is that since under 18s are no longer allowed on Adult sims, someone could look at me say oh shes awefully short, MAYBE shes underage.

At least Im not worried about the AR an ex friend said he was gonna file in me the other day 😁

First of all, if you can say, "Maybe this is that," that implies, "...and maybe it's not." There's no factual way you can say that an avatar in the "15 to 25 age range" is a certain age unless they've said something to establish that. If there's a doubt, you should be given that.

Secondly, I doubt the simple act of being on an Adult region is going to be a ban even if someone's avatar is determined to be "underage." There's a 100% effective way of stopping that from happening again - remove that account's ability to access Adult regions. And they're probably not going to go even that far on a first offense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

Do yourself a favor and google pigtails on adults. It's not uncommon at all! One of my favorite pigtail wearing adults .. never thought she was anything but an adult. 

Sure. But can you see my reasoning if I explain further that pigtails PLUS dress can make a difference?

For example, "pigtails + baby doll dress". 

Even if it "fails" to make someone look younger, you can sometimes tell that was the "intent". For example, in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?", Bette Davis wears "ring curls" and a "little girl" dress, deluded that some will remember how she was (not how she is).

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962 film) starring Bette Davis  (pictured) and Joan Crawford. : r/Colorization

7 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

She follows the "Harley Quinn" model somewhat.  Not necessarily trying to "fool anyone", but wearing what some people would call "a younger style" for a reason (whatever that reason is).

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

My point is, and in keeping with the subject of the thread, my height has never once been called into question in regard to the age of my avatar and I'm almost always in Adult regions.

Yeah, my original response to the thread still applies:  "No".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sure. But can you see my reasoning if I explain further that pigtails PLUS dress can make a difference?

For example, "pigtails + baby doll dress". 

Even if it "fails" to make someone look younger, you can sometimes tell that was the "intent". For example, in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?", Bette Davis wears "ring curls" and a "little girl" dress, deluded that some will remember how she was (not how she is).

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962 film) starring Bette Davis  (pictured) and Joan Crawford. : r/Colorization

To quote another one of my favorite pigtail wearing adults, "My eyes, my eyes!"

My personal least favorite hairstyles of all the Friends : r/friends_tv_show

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Don't bother. She already KNOWS all this.  It's just a way to continue the other thread because it was locked.

I dare say that this is a thinly veiled "look at me" vanity thread.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Like i said before, if i was 7 ft tall, my look , including everything i am wearing wouldnt raise an eyebrow, but im not, im short, and that is what  might cause people to AR me for being underage.

I understand your concerns, but from everything we've been told -- and we have the opportunity to ask them to re-iterate it at the meeting later today -- Governance will either look at the AR and either say "BilliJo's avatar looks nothing like a child.  No further action," which I think is by far the most likely outcome, or tell you they think your avatar does look too young and you should age it up a bit if you want to continue using Adult region.   But if the picture you posted in the other thread is the av you normally use, I can't imagine they'll think it looks like a child av.

Either way, I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about other than maybe a minor annoyance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I gave a real life example of a grown mid-20s man in pigtails and frilly dresses. Also, Snoop (minus the frilly dresses, lol - ahhh, that'd be something).

Also, the Bette Davis example only makes me think of kawaii and similar fashion styles, and those are often 30+ year old women wearing all that (big scene both online and off), so...I'm not seeing the connection. 

Perhaps I'm just desensitized to those looks since it's all so, so common in alternative fashion scenes with all genders, which I spent much of my life immersed in. Not only that, but as a fluid tomboy, frilly things don't automatically make me think of girls at all (mmmm men in poet shirts...wait what were we talking about?). They do make me think of dolls. Some girls (and boys and men and women) do enjoy looking that way, but I found it suffocating and obnoxious.

While I don't think BilliJo has much to worry about, I do wonder about people who dress their avatars in different and perhaps unfamiliar fashion styles if public perception is indeed pigtails = little girls and nothing more.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

44 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

While I don't think BilliJo has much to worry about, I do wonder about people who dress their avatars in different and perhaps unfamiliar fashion styles if public perception is indeed pigtails = little girls and nothing more.

I wear pigtails and ponytails all the time in RL even... pigtails are cute even for adults.  Maybe its a cultural or just what people are used to in RL around them to what hairstyles are normally associated with children.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

up until the new TOS i came out, I lived my life, children lived their lives and predators were caught and banned.

Now everyone (except the predators… nothing has changed for them) has to walk on eggshells lest they violate the new “lets keep children safe” rules

I am not walking on eggshells.  You are projecting YOUR paranoia (which honestly I think you are making it up just to have fun arguing) on EVERYONE.

Please don't speak for me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I see some of the supposedly really tall people wearing high platforms or hovering a foot above the ground though they don't realize it till I point it out to them in IM.

You IM people wearing tall platform shoes to tell them they are wearing tall platform shoes, and accuse them of being giants, and wonder why you might have to worry about AR's.

Funny.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

You IM people wearing tall platform shoes to tell them they are wearing tall platform shoes, and accuse them of being giants, and wonder why you might have to worry about AR's.

Funny.

I don't accuse people, I leave that to others. I simply inform them of something they probably didn't realize and are thankful for someone informing them of in a non-judgemental way. I do that because I am happy when someone tells me something is misadjusted.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I don't accuse people, I leave that to others. I simply inform them of something they probably didn't realize and are thankful for someone informing them of in a non-judgemental way. I do that because I am happy when someone tells me something is misadjusted.

No, someone being non-judgmental would simply ignore it.

Maybe they want to be hovering 2 feet in the air.

Reminds me of the woman that IM'd me once to tell me that there were updated heads on the Marketplace....you know,  in case I didn't know.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I am not walking on eggshells.  You are projecting YOUR paranoia (which honestly I think you are making it up just to have fun arguing) on EVERYONE.

Please don't speak for me.

Im not speaking for you, im expressing a legitimate concern that i have. but whatever

2 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

No, someone being non-judgmental would simply ignore it.

Maybe they want to be hovering 2 feet in the air.

Reminds me of the woman that IM'd me once to tell me that there were updated heads on the Marketplace....you know,  in case I didn't know.

obviously they thought the head you were using was hopelessly out of date, they were just trying to help 😂