You are in a forest in Second Life. Would you rather run into a someone in a man avatar or a bear avatar?

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..in Second Life!

Yeah I know, even the actual analogy is terrible too. I mean you have a bear in one corner, who could mess you up and a man in the other corner who could mess you up. Who would you choose? Um no one, I would be wondering why I am in a forest, with a random dude and a bear with me? LOl 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah this really doesn't equate to SL very well and, even adding "In Second Life" to most of the answers doesn't really help since most of the responses don't seem to explain why a bear avatar controlled by a person (since the gender of the avatar operator was never specified) would be any more or less dangerous than a male avatar controlled by a person (I mean it could even be the same person operating both avatars since that was also never specified).

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

"You are in a forest in Second Life. Would you rather run into a someone in a man avatar or a bear avatar?"

Well...

Why not both?

51gNl1G7cLL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_.thumb.jpg.f5c98d746b6d1c326a29b6a478a01cb4.jpg

I'm disappointed it took us 3 pages to get to this joke.

I'm also going to be equally disappointed if someone isn't running around SL as Bear Grylls already. That would be such an easy look to put together. Come on, slackers. Make it happen!

• Haha 5

I didn't realize that this topic referred to anything.  I wish I hadn't responded to it at all now.

I go to the SL woods to be alone.  If a green dot appears on the mini-map, I am not going check and see if it's human or beast.  I'll just leave.

Wrong thread, but - Peeve - pop culture references that I didn't know about can feel like an inside joke I wasn't included in.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The problem with this question is that you seem to think women are unfairly blaming men for expecting them to be dangerous, while in real life, women are more likely to be attacked by a man than by a bear. Yeah, because bears aren't usually wandering around where we are, but still everything we've learned is to be wary of a man we don't know if we're alone with them. 

It depends on the man. Most are not dangerous. But not every bear encounter is dangerous either. If you get out of their way, they'll usually leave people alone. 

There are currently ~8 billion people on the planet. Just for the sake of argument, let's assume that half of them are adult ... so ~4 billion adults. With a roughly 50/50 split that means 2 billion males, 2 billion females.

Given those numbers, it's clear that during any given day there are TRILLIONS of 'interactions' between men and women. An interaction being where an adult male and adult female are aware of each other and take action due to that awareness. So walking down the street, and a man and woman adjust their paths to avoid colliding ... that's a valid interaction.

A man or woman buying something in a shop from someone of the opposite sex is a valid interaction.

A man or woman receiving a service from someone of the opposite sex (for example I had an MRI yesterday and the technicians who did the imaging were of the opposite sex) is a valid interaction.

We're talking about face to face interactions btw ... virtual/phone/etc don't count. So we can leave out the myriad unsupported and unproven claims of email death threats that seem to be all the rage these days.

I put it to you that encountering a bear is significantly more dangerous than encountering a man that you don't know, because statistically an 'interaction' between a bear and a human is MORE likely to result in danger to the human ... as evidenced by the trillions of interactions between men and women which do NOT result in any danger whatsoever.

As for here in SL ... I'd rather encounter a woman because she might be wearing a pair of heels that I think are hot, and then I can go see if they make them for my slink feet.

Edited by AnthonyJoanne
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, AnthonyJoanne said:

As for here in SL ... I'd rather encounter a woman because she might be wearing a pair of heels that I think are hot, and then I can go see if they make them for my slink feet.

At last.

A sensible response.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The problem with this question is that you seem to think women are unfairly blaming men for expecting them to be dangerous, while in real life, women are more likely to be attacked by a man than by a bear. Yeah, because bears aren't usually wandering around where we are, but still everything we've learned is to be wary of a man we don't know if we're alone with them. 

It depends on the man. Most are not dangerous. But not every bear encounter is dangerous either. If you get out of their way, they'll usually leave people alone. 

That's the thing, men pretty *are* wandering around everywhere we are, and we have to learn to deal with them. We all have either lived through bad experiences with men or heard about them from friends and relatives. Not to mention on the news. Bears on the other hand, since they are NOT around where we mostly are, we have not developed the state of alertness and anxiety most of us have when alone with a strange man (or even a suss known one) or when outnumbered by men, such as in a bar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm disappointed it took us 3 pages to get to this joke.

I'm also going to be equally disappointed if someone isn't running around SL as Bear Grylls already. That would be such an easy look to put together. Come on, slackers. Make it happen!

They beat you to it by like 20 years . Search " Man VS Second life on YouTube.  Only 2 episodes. :<

• Like 2

Think I misread the title, as I was thinking "if you are being CHASED by a bear". In normal telling, the bear can run faster than people, and you only need to trip one of your friends to distract the bear.

3 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I didn't realize that this topic referred to anything.  I wish I hadn't responded to it at all now.

I go to the SL woods to be alone.  If a green dot appears on the mini-map, I am not going check and see if it's human or beast.  I'll just leave.

Wrong thread, but - Peeve - pop culture references that I didn't know about can feel like an inside joke I wasn't included in.

Yeah, the whole "man or bear?" thing is trending.

• Like 3

I don't know why this "question" is even a thing, the logical answer iss obvious.

Bear.

Worst a bear *might* do is kill you and eat you.

worst a man *might* do is r*p* you, torture you, then kill you, and eat you.

Bear is the lesser of two potential evils.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Think I misread the title, as I was thinking "if you are being CHASED by a bear".

Act III of Shakespeare's The Winter Tale famously ends with the stage direction "Exit, Pursued by a bear."

Which must have been pretty hilarious to watch on a 17th-century stage.

The character who is pursued (and killed, and maybe even eaten!) is however a male, Antigonus.

He should have chosen "man" I guess?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Act III of Shakespeare's The Winter Tale famously ends with the stage direction "Exit, Pursued by a bear."

Which must have been pretty hilarious to watch on a 17th-century stage.

The character who is pursued (and killed, and maybe even eaten!) is however a male, Antigonus.

He should have chosen "man" I guess?

They had equal rights back then! (So long as you were male.)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

On Shakespeare's stages, even the women were male. So . . . yeah!

Allegedly...

"where are we going to find a guy who looks good in a dress?"

"What about him there?"

"That's a woman you dolt"

"Yeah but she looks mannish, is clean shaven and we save on the cost of the padded bra."

"Good point, hey you what's your mane?"

"Roberta"

"Welcome to the Globe, BOB, see wardrobe for your stage dress, and get some real clothes to wear off stage"

"But this dress is my rea..."

"BOB, I said get some real clothes for off stage, from Wardrobe. ok?"

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Allegedly...

"where are we going to find a guy who looks good in a dress?"

"What about him there?"

"That's a woman you dolt"

"Yeah but she looks mannish, is clean shaven and we save on the cost of the padded bra."

"Good point, hey you what's your mane?"

"Roberta"

"Welcome to the Globe, BOB, see wardrobe for your stage dress, and get some real clothes to wear off stage"

"But this dress is my rea..."

"BOB, I said get some real clothes for off stage, from Wardrobe. ok?"

HEY!

Someone should do a movie. With, I dunno, Gwyneth Paltr . . .

On second thoughts, maybe not . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

That's right, of course. Just dismiss the concerns of women as being ridiculous and hysterical.

Good day, Sir!

11 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

What makes certain men dangerous is a lack of a sense of humour and their defensive. They become unpredictable and will often turn on those that triggered that feeling in them.

5 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

The bear seems safer. 

Hmm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Well, that makes sense that they would. The bears were encroaching on her territory, not the other way around. An animal in a weird and new place is going to be spooked far more than it would in the place where it lives.

Not to mention, in Pennsylvania you're generally talking black bears- one of the smaller, more timid breeds, where the advice for dealing with them is to make a lot of noise and appear bigger than them.

Not exactly a great example of a situation that's supposed to be on a "which is more dangerous" chart.

Neither the thought experiment posed, nor your post, specified the bear, but okay.

Sorry to the the bearer of sad tidings, but this bear-bating thread just shows the bear-faced cheek of a lot of us, some even overbearing. It's frankly unbearable and one of my bugbears in this place. I think you should all check your bearings and just bear with each other. I'll be your torch-bearer and set an example. Thank you for your forbearance while reading this. Remember, the best way to make friends again is make like the bears do; all remove your bearskins, get bear* together and bearhug.

*Child avatars excluded... you can't do that now, even if you can grow a beard.

Always remember to carry bear spray and noise makes when in the forest. How to identify a bear from it's scat: Black bear scat smells musty and contains berry seeds; grizzly bear scat smells strongly of chilli pepper and contains whistles.

• Haha 1