So what changed in the Terms of Service?

I would imagine, unfortunately, that some will look at the Child avatars posting in this thread and they may get trolled. If I were them I'd set your settings to the highest level possible, at least for now.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It begs the question then why they were being AR'ed other then the reporter is hoping Governance can find something to ban them for.

I see any AR report as an express attempt by a reporter to have a resident banned from Secondlife.

Da FAQ

Q: Will Residents be immediately terminated if it is determined they are violating any part of the new policy?
A: Not all violations of the policy will result in an immediate termination. Depending upon the nature and severity of the violation, Governance has a suspension tree that is utilized to make attempts to educate the Resident first. However, if those attempts fail and the behavior is continued, it will result in termination. For the more severe offenses, the immediate action will still be to terminate their access to Second Life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Good idea.     Not done.  Where do I do that?   I'm looking at my web profile and can't find it. I would have been fine anyway.  I'm wearing a Legacy demo so what would have arrived wouldn't have been what they were expecting.  

If you're on firestorm, it's under Communication (comm) at the top menu.for TP only from friends

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Good idea.     Not done.  Where do I do that?   I'm looking at my web profile and can't find it.

In firestorm it's under preferences. I'm not sure about elsewhere. It's a drop down box, you can set it to see G content, G and M content and finally G, M and adult content. Obviously you don't want to access adult content. 

Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You can AR that.

Sharing fantasies about or promoting engagement in child sexual exploitation.

By trying to entice you there, they are promoting engagement

I did AR it.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

In firestorm it's under preferences. I'm not sure about elsewhere. It's a drop down box, you can set it to see G content, G and M content and finally G, M and adult content. Obviously you don't want to access adult content. 

Found it.  Set and thank you.  

• Like 2

If you have an avatar, that is technically your puppet that you are controlling, so technically we are all puppet masters, controlling a puppet so if your puppet is you, you're technically a puppet.

We are all playing with dolls here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

If you have an avatar, that is technically your puppet that you are controlling, so technically we are all puppet masters, controlling a puppet so if your puppet is you, you're technically a puppet.

No, through some very serious shamanic energy work I have morphed into my avatar. My physical being no longer exists. I don't even need to eat or sleep anymore.

• Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

I did AR it.  

Sad thing is it's probably a 1 day old troll acount. Even if they are banned which they absolutely should be for trying to lure a child avatar to adult land, unless LL take action against their main account it's meaningless, whereas had you gone there and been reported you could have lost everything. 

45 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Nearly 150 pages in.

I know that there's still a lot of doubt and uncertainty regarding what's actually going to happen. I've still got concerns myself and I'll probably attend governance meeting if I can. But I'm greatful at least that we've had the opportunity to talk about this as much as we have. Threads about much less contentious topics usually get shut down way faster than this.

So thank you, whichever mole(s)/linden(s) have made the call to let this one go on this long without the thread lock.

I agree. I've been reading this thread for hours and feel like someone is going to have to pry my phone out of my hands to get me to stop. 😆  Seriously, I need to go charge my phone and take a break from this discussion. 

A big Thank You to the Lindens and Moles who have let this thread go on for so long!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

A avatar is the same thing as a doll? Not quite it's not really the same thing as controlling a puppet well it's sort of like that but not exactly the same it's more like controlling a character in a video game except second life is more then just that it's a virtual world and besides not everyone roleplays in second life 

Edited by Wincil
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

To me, This thread just feels like an experiment and  a testing ground.

Not only did they use it to see what works and doesn't work but they used the thread to, also,

show us "This s*** is hard, let's see how you all deal with it."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Da FAQ

Q: Will Residents be immediately terminated if it is determined they are violating any part of the new policy?

A: Not all violations of the policy will result in an immediate termination. Depending upon the nature and severity of the violation, Governance has a suspension tree that is utilized to make attempts to educate the Resident first. However, if those attempts fail and the behavior is continued, it will result in termination. For the more severe offenses, the immediate action will still be to terminate their access to Second Life.

Yes the hoped for policy going forward. It seems not to have been the actual policy even in the recent past. You asked me in a previous post about where I had heard it wasn't the case which I didn't respond to yet. In case noone else mentioned it, 3 places: Reddit threads, Moderators from Reddit posting in this thread as well as hearing from some so affected on another platform I frequent, They weren't drunk afaik and didn't seem to be embellishing their story, just relating very matter of factly what happened.

We'll have to wait and see if they actually follow through. Tommy Linden's (Governance) post in this thread sounded positive but to my mind the jury is out until we hear of people getting actual warning letters and other educational materials.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It begs the question then why they were being AR'ed other then the reporter is hoping Governance can find something to ban them for.

I see any AR report as an express attempt by a reporter to have a resident banned from Secondlife.

No, AR'ing is primarily to get people to "stop doing something", most people don't actually hope "all AR's" result in a ban. No clue why you'd think that. Example: a griefer attacks a region. The only tool available to anyone besides land owners is the AR. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I agree. I've been reading this thread for hours and feel like someone is going to have to pry my phone out of my hands to get me to stop. 😆  Seriously, I need to go charge my phone and take a break from this discussion. 

A big Thank You to the Lindens and Moles who have let this thread go on for so long!

Thank goodness they didn't allow pictures, that was beyond the pale.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No, AR'ing is primarily to get people to "stop doing something", most people don't actually hope "all AR's" result in a ban. No clue why you'd think that. Example: a griefer attacks a region. The only tool available to anyone besides land owners is the AR. 

Do you really know people's intentions? Rhetorical question, no need to answer.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Someone on here said a child is 12 years old or younger, while a teen is 13 to 19.

It might actually be good for LL to make this distinction, rather than having us assume that any avatar that looks under 18 is a child. An avatar that's supposed to be 16 can easily wear a Maitreya Lara body and skin, but an avatar that's supposed to be 10 years old probably couldn't get away with that. If LL seriously wants to impose a modesty skin on child avatars, they should better define what they mean by a "child avatar".

13-17 are children... saying "teen" doesn't make someone not a child.  I don't think anyone who sees the rules about child avatars thinks its anything different.  A child is anyone before they become adult.  Teens are not adult legally in most places (an on SL) until 18.

31 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

This pretty much sums it up. You don't get a second chance if you mess up. It doesn't even necessarily have to be your own fault under the new rules. 

If I'm not careful and someone changes the rating of the sim to A then I have broken TOS. 

If I don't immeditely leave when someone nude appears then I have broken TOS. How many people can never say they''re gotten distracted reading IMs? 

I don't think this is true at all.  If any M place allows nudity, then a child avatar should not be there at all, ever, even if alone... If the place does NOT allow nudity or sexual actions occurring, then a child avatar can be there and the nude adult avatar is in the wrong.

27 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Should all the makers of mesh bodies now include a no-BOM version with modesty underwear on the skins in the HUD?

I think Maitreya and any others who make bodies intended for adults can simply put "for adult use only" or some similar disclaimer and not have to do anything like that.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yes the hoped for policy going forward. It seems not to have been the actual policy even in the recent past. You asked me in a previous post about where I had heard it wasn't the case which I didn't respond to yet. In case noone else mentioned it, 3 places: Reddit threads, Moderators from Reddit posting in this thread as well as hearing from some so affected on another platform I frequent, They weren't drunk afaik and didn't seem to be embellishing their story, just relating very matter of factly what happened.

We'll have to wait and see if they actually follow through. Tommy Linden's (Governance) post in this thread sounded positive but to my mind the jury is out until we hear of people getting actual warning letters and other educational materials.

Then why not assume those cases were for "the more severe offenses"? 

1 minute ago, Wincil said:

A avatar is the same thing as a doll? Not quite it's not really the same thing as controlling a puppet.

Well, you click buttons on your screen or type commands on your keyboard and they make your avatar move and say things. You're controlling all of that remotely, exactly the way you would control a puppet or make a doll do things.  You get the dress it up, make it dance, fly, rearrange furniture and all sorts of other fun things.  Your avatar isn't doing those things by herself. You're doing them -- just like playing with a doll or a puppet.  So, if your avatar does something BAD, it's not the one who gets in trouble.  You do. You're the one in charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pup·pet
/ˈpəpət/
noun

1. a movable model of a person or animal that is used in entertainment and is typically moved either by strings controlled from above or by a hand inside it.

doll1
    /däl/
    noun

1. a small model of a human figure, typically one of a baby or girl, used as a child's toy.

Similar:
      puppet

marionette

figure

figurine

model

toy

plaything

2 hours ago, Wincil said:

People can look younger then they appear and that can include Asian people.

No one disagrees with you, but most people who look younger, who want to partake in RL activities or buy adult stuff. Will be IDed. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

If you are not a regular user of the forum you don't really understand what that means. :) but that's okay.