So what changed in the Terms of Service?

1 minute ago, Leslie Trihey said:

The data is sketchy, sure I'll admit that. But all similar data sites back this.

Breaking News "Fake Statistics Sellers all agree their statistics are fake!", pictures at 11.

Yeah ALL sites using bad fakery to gather questionable data, probably use the same flawed methods, and are all checking THE WEBSSITE, not the SERVERS., and there is NO way your fake news scam sellers can determine who or what is logging into the grid.

Get over it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:
7 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Why did you have to remind me of the horror, that is this Canadian PSA? Lol 

I need people to suffer with me, I'm sorry. 🤪

Ok, for those who don't know Mr. Yuk.

• Like 1

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Breaking News "Fake Statistics Sellers all agree their statistics are fake!", pictures at 11.

Yeah ALL sites using bad fakery to gather questionable data, probably use the same flawed methods, and are all checking THE WEBSSITE, not the SERVERS., and there is NO way your fake news scam sellers can determine who or what is logging into the grid.

Get over it.

Just gonna leave this here and go outside and touch some grass. 😀I suggest you do the same.

https://www.everyrealm.com/post/virtual-worlds-and-their-demographics

image.thumb.png.7e7cd50da6a419b574cdbfa2bc67471e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

I'm sorry but if you think over 40's dominate SL you need to get out more. The data is sketchy, sure I'll admit that. But all similar data sites back this. My demographic PIONEERED this technology. You merely adopted it.

Any access data published by anyone else but Linden Lab is rubbish per se. And even Linden Lab has no real clue on the age of website visitors.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Get over it.

=_=

Edited by Wincil

18 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

Not to add fuel to this fire and I have no comment on the alleged shaming attempt, however:

image.thumb.png.b94e1bbe739802aec482086dd044e2e9.png

I can't say for sure if the graph is fact or not but I'm surprised no one see's the issue here, that if it is mostly boomers that play the Second Life, then it is widely not welcoming to younger generation. Not to younger adults, no to 16 year olds, not to to anyone below 50, as we've seen multiple times that the older gen have a problem with.

However, I thought I seen secondlife said there are more women who play second life than men and that they are 35+?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

Just gonna leave this here and go outside and touch some grass. 😀I suggest you do the same.

Website also says: "However, other virtual worlds, such as Second Life and VRChat, have a wider age range of users, including those over the age of 50."

Question with such "statistics" is: Which sources do they use? And. in case of SL, as long as LL does not publsh their own data there cannot be any reliable "source", maybe some more or less "representaitive poll" t best..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

Read the rest of the site.  The 18-34 group would be a LOT of those Roblox and Minecraft users.

Gaming remains a major trend in virtual worlds, with platforms like Roblox and Minecraft continuing to attract millions of users.   

In addition to these popular games, there are many other virtual worlds focused on gaming, such as World of Warcraft and Eve Online.

Some virtual worlds are also exploring new gaming experiences, such as virtual reality games that offer more immersive and interactive gameplay.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

This, as a whole in virtual worlds, is true. More younger people do play virtual worlds and that is where a lot of the income comes from. Minecraft has several young adults, as well as kids, playing it still to this day.

1 minute ago, Leslie Trihey said:

People defending worthless BS with weblinks should learn to READ the weblinks they post before claaiming that it suupports their clueless BS. I shall quote from the page you linked to.

• Virtual worlds have a diverse age range of users, with some platforms being more popular among younger age groups. For example, games like Roblox and Minecraft tend to attract a younger demographic, with many users under the age of 18.
  • However, other virtual worlds, such as Second Life and VRChat, have a wider age range of users, including those over the age of 50.
  • According to a survey by SuperData, 61% of virtual world users were between the ages of 18 and 34, while 27% were between the ages of 35 and 54.

That graph is lumping together ALL the users of Minecraft, and Roblox, with SL.

Roblox has a typical user age of what? 13? 15?

And it has millions of users.

they are alsso including platforms like World of Warcraft, and Eve Online and OTHER MMO's

Compared to SL, which currently has somewhere between 600k and 800k depending on who you believe.

Another epic fail on your part. For somebody who BOASTED about their "18 years experience in SL" you have much to learn, old padawan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Starberry Passion said:

I can't say for sure if the graph is fact or not but I'm surprised no one see's the issue here, that if it is mostly boomers that play the Second Life, then it is widely not welcoming to younger generation. Not to younger adults, no to 16 year olds, not to to anyone below 50, as we've seen multiple times that the older gen have a problem with.

However, I thought I seen secondlife said there are more women who play second life than men and that they are 35+?

Unless you're LL there really is no way to tell what the average age of SL residents is, and I suspect even they don't have the complete picture.  Based on my own anecdotal evidence (i.e. people on my friends list and those I've encountered) I would have said the average age is lower, but again that's just my experience which is colored by my interests, the places I frequent, the types of activities I participate in and a whole bunch of other factors...

As others have said there really is no way of knowing for sure.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

People defending worthless BS with weblinks should learn to READ the weblinks they post before claaiming that it suupports their clueless BS. I shall quote from the page you linked to.

• Virtual worlds have a diverse age range of users, with some platforms being more popular among younger age groups. For example, games like Roblox and Minecraft tend to attract a younger demographic, with many users under the age of 18.
  • However, other virtual worlds, such as Second Life and VRChat, have a wider age range of users, including those over the age of 50.
  • According to a survey by SuperData, 61% of virtual world users were between the ages of 18 and 34, while 27% were between the ages of 35 and 54.

That graph is lumping together ALL the users of Minecraft, and Roblox, with SL.

Roblox has a typical user age of what? 13? 15?

And it has millions of users.

they are alsso including platforms like World of Warcraft, and Eve Online and OTHER MMO's

Compared to SL, which currently has somewhere between 600k and 800k depending on who you believe.

Another epic fail on your part. For somebody who BOASTED about their "18 years experience in SL" you have much to learn, old padawan.

I'm sorry to say but you sound like one of does nutjobs that don't even know anything about demographics this age stuff seems off topic ngl.

Edited by Wincil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

This demographic stuff, and questions about race, are all very interesting, but a tad off-topic surely?

It seems to me that there are two main issues that need to be discussed and resolved.

1) What "modesty layers" actually are, and how they will work.

2) The ambiguity surrounding public nudity is M rated areas.

It seems to me, with regard to the last, that removing the option of public nudity from Moderate regions may be the best and fairest way to go. I say that very reluctantly, because I don't like restricting freedoms any more than is absolutely necessary, and I personally find nudity pretty non-problematic, but this might be the best option in the interest of safeguarding the child avatar community while still ensuring them as much freedom of movement as possible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

Why would it be unwelcoming?  Every single.one of my friends is much younger than me.  The random people I talk to inworld are all younger than me by quite a bit.  I never ask how old either.  It's always info they offer.  I don't really care how old anyone is in RL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This demographic stuff, and questions about race, are all very interesting, but a tad off-topic surely?

It seems to me that there are two main issues that need to be discussed and resolved.

It seems to me, with regard to the last, that removing the option of public nudity from Moderate regions may be the best and fairest way to go. I say that very reluctantly, because I don't like restricting freedoms any more than is absolutely necessary, and I personally find nudity pretty non-problematic, but this might be the best option in the interest of safeguarding the child avatar community while still ensuring them as much freedom of movement as possible.

It seems to me, that the appropriate response is a "mass" nude protest at a public M area.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Wincil said:

I'm sorry to say but you sound like one of does nutjobs that don't even know anything about demographics.

sorry to say but by my observations you are a complete troll determined to try and name call people on this thrad

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

as Tommy said LL will answer 1 on the Q/A page soon. no need at all to keep speculating about it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Unless you're LL there really is no way to tell what the average age of SL residents is, and I suspect even they don't have the complete picture.  Based on my own anecdotal evidence (i.e. people on my friends list and those I've encountered) I would have said the average age is lower, but again that's just my experience which is colored by my interests, the places I frequent, the types of activities I participate in and a whole bunch of other factors...

As others have said there really is no way of knowing for sure.

Even so, we have a few people arguing that the age is higher, I believe it's lower myself, due to the fashion, trends that are more towards younger adults.

Second life wants to attract more people, while the same few people want to do away with younger adults which can come across as, again, unwelcoming.

Anyways, I'm glad to see more younger than 35 audiences are starting to come to second life, I'd rather second life not die. I want second life to wake back up and bloom with even more adults that love virtual worlds like Second life and be able to express themselves without hate, as a whole, rather they are European, African, American any other country, light skinned, dark skinned, tan, whatever-have-you. 

I'll continue to support second life trying to reawaken itself.

Edited by Starberry Passion
  • Like 1

I keep wondering why I keep watching this thread. I believe I figured it out. I am waiting to see when the Powers-That-Be decides that enough is enough and it keeps veering off the topic of "So what changed in the Terms of Service." 

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If they remove nudity from M. they can remove M. Or they remove Child Avis from M. The entire construction is an attempt to avoid both of these options for some reasons. Careful with what you wish for.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I updated my blogpost with a description of, and link to, @Madi Melodious's Panic Button.

Thanks. Madi!

(Again, my blog address is in my forum signature line. The forum signature line by default is not displayed, but you can turn it on under your account settings.)

Why would you need a panic button when all you have to do is hit the home button?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1