So what changed in the Terms of Service?

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

getting dumped in a safezone on login is half the fun of logging out nude.

Ummmm there arent any safezones on G sims are there?

😬

Now that you mention it, what is the logic when I login requesting to go where I was before but that region is offline? If I was in a G region, do I end up at a G infohub? or is it based on how I set my content maturity preference? Or something else? Presumably this has always done "the right thing" but the stakes for some are kinda higher now. (Sorry, I know this is probably trivial, I just never thought about it before.)

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you right click on the SLurl that shows up in chat with that HUD, you can show on map which does show the maturity level of the region so probably something child-presenting avatars should be aware of and do going forward

Not on the map in the Linden viewer I'm looking at right now. That seems bad. (But since PBR I have a tossed salad of viewers and versions installed so don't take my word for it.)

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

The point means, that they want to make the majority of users in SL happy. As if they lose them, that could mean catastrophe. That is literally how a business runs. 

Businesses have to make hard decisions, but repeatedly excluding minorities of customers will kill a business. It's a thing to be avoided as much as possible. Not that the Lab should over-index on child avatars, but they can't vote today's disfavored minority off the island every day and long have a business to run.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

If this thread is proof of anything it's that we all have certain subjects that we feel strongly about and everyone has different tolerances for what they consider to be acceptable or unacceptable.  What seems trivial to one of us can be seen as very serious by others and it's best to approach people respectfully and try to be as clear as possible about the point you're trying to make and why.

Anyway, hopefully we can leave this particular subject behind now and continue a discussion about the new changes to the TOS?! :) 

I like the TOS changes! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Starberry Passion said:

I prefer Dark-skinned American, instead of black but that's just me. I know people will continue to say black or white,

to me, I'm just an American with brown skin.

I'm not American, the preferred term here amongst that group here in the UK is "Black British",

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

That tends to happen when you try to "shame" boomers" on a platform like SL where the average age is apparently WELL over 40, or shame people over 5'4 or people with big boobs, to name but a few.

Not to add fuel to this fire and I have no comment on the alleged shaming attempt, however:

image.thumb.png.b94e1bbe739802aec482086dd044e2e9.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Creating an anime school might seem like a weird choice, but I find it comforting. I was going through a lot in my College and University years. I'd rather not go into details but I was pretty upset all through my school -> university years and never really made friends or took education seriously.

Making an anime school like those found in visual novels at least gave me a chance to have a 'happy' school experience. I suppose in a way it really was a second shot at part of my life - A Second Life?

Nothing weird about it.  First, we are all in SL so we are all kind of odd on that alone.  What you do in SL, if it makes you happy.

The thing in SL that gives me most joy in SL is scripting.   Writing words on a screen, then dropping it in something, and watching it come alive.  That is closest thing to real magic that there is to me.  It's the coding, the flow of logic, all that that is just what relaxes me.  Some call that weird.  😇

Other things that bring me joy are sailing, enjoying music with friends, and dancing in the moon light on the Summer Solstice. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

That tends to happen when you try to "shame" boomers" on a platform like SL where the average age is apparently WELL over 40, or shame people over 5'4 or people with big boobs, to name but a few.

Yep, well over 40 and well over 5'4".  However, I do have a son at home who is 24 so it's not as if i live in some boomer box and can't see what's going on with younger people.  I even like most of his music!  Couldn't tell you who they are since you know, us old folks can't remember nuthin'. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Leslie Trihey said:

Not to add fuel to this fire and I have no comment on the alleged shaming attempt, however:

Congratulations on an epic fail.

That's the website, and includes all the genZ's who fail to finish the signup process, which iss what? about 90-95%?

That's not the traffic for the SERVERS. Also, check past threads for the last time somebody posted a "ssimilarweb' stats claim, and read the responses about how theirr figures are questionable, and how they PRETEND to have the real info because they are trying to convince Corporate marketing departments to PAY them for the rest of the "stats" they collected.

In addition, there is no reliable way to tell the age or gender of somebody connecting to SL via a viewer. NONE.

Their figures are largely made up.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe everyone could wear little tassels where their nipples would be.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the odd prank or two.  Somewhere around my home estate there is a statue of Zeus supporting a awesome set of nipple rings.   But just to clear things up, I didn't attach them, I just suggested it.

Edited by Madi Melodious
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

I prefer Dark-skinned American, instead of black but that's just me. I know people will continue to say black or white,

to me, I'm just an American with brown skin.

So what would you call Asian Americans with varying shades of colors from whiteish to very dark?

4 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

I seriously doubt that is accurate... would need to see how they got that info, and if it even applied to users of SL, or just assumed characteristics from browsing history from the main website.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

WTH? 

It's a bar graph of the supposed age distribution of people who log in the secondlife.com, not SL residents, so it doesn't really tell you anything.  After all, anyone can access the web site, and many residents don't bother.  Interesting, but irrelevant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's a bar graph of the supposed age distribution of people who log in the secondlife.com, not SL residents, so it doesn't really tell you anything.  After all, anyone can access the web site, and many residents don't bother.  Interesting, but irrelevant.

Yes, and unless they're assigning age and gender from mystic tea leaves, as Zal said there's no way for them to know. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Aya Sweetheart said:

So what would you call Asian Americans with varying shades of colors from whiteish to very dark?

I seriously doubt that is accurate... would need to see how they got that info, and if it even applied to users of SL, or just assumed characteristics from browsing history from the main website.

Again how do you know.

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Interesting, but irrelevant.

True, but in fairness the same could be said for the anecdotal evidence some are citing which is based on the typical age of residents they interact with in world.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

That's the website, and includes all the genZ's who fail to finish the signup process, which iss what? about 90-95%?

That's not the traffic for the SERVERS. Also, check past threads for the last time somebody posted a "ssimilarweb' stats claim, and read the responses about how theirr figures are questionable, and how they PRETEND to have the real info because they are trying to convince Corporate marketing departments to PAY them for the rest of the "stats" they collected.

In addition, there is no reliable way to tell the age or gender of somebody connecting to SL via a viewer. NONE.

I'm sorry but if you think well over 40's dominate SL you need to get out more. The data is sketchy, sure I'll admit that. But all similar data sites back this. My demographic PIONEERED this technology. You merely adopted it.

Edited by Leslie Trihey
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 4:25 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Why? because G land is basically a waste of server space.

I have a better idea, Lets create a tiny separate G continent for the kids, and designate all existing continental sims (except Zindra)  as M

Something for 'kid's only' would be nice, sorta like Teen Second Life was. Maybe restrict it to avatars that are 'pre-puberty'.

Edited by Rufferta
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Well, isn't the biggest topic in SL news?  Says so right there...

Screenshot_20240506-142931.thumb.png.4c67976701b19d7772f4f7ea05601245.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Now that you mention it, what is the logic when I login requesting to go where I was before but that region is offline? If I was in a G region, do I end up at a G infohub? or is it based on how I set my content maturity preference?

As I understand it, currently you get logged in at a safe hub matching the highest maturity level you have set in your preferences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1