So what changed in the Terms of Service?

2 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

I've been sailing in the Blake for over 10 years, and I have seen a few things but its very rare.   An, no I'm not going to change my avatar to enjoy one of the things I've been doing in SL for 10 years.   If I encounter nudity or sex I will be filing the AR report.

People can be nude in moderate regions though, no need to AR that. You won't get in trouble for being around nudity accidentally, even if someone reports you, so if nudity is rare on the Blake Sea you should be ok according to the FAQ.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 9:34 PM, Vivienne Schell said:

The 2007 scandal was the beginning of the end of growth. Over the following year almost all significant companies withdrew their sims and offices and investments from SL. It also finished the hype, after that the media turned from support to criticism and finally to ignorance. Linden Lab cannot afford another incident of the same kind, and the laissez faire of the past few years endangers the entire platform. They must act now, and they did and will. Nothing would destroy the platform so easily than another pedo affair in the media.

This is where we agree. In the current political climate, a moral outrage/moral panic over sexualized *****/virtual pedophilia could finish Second Life off. 

This is why I have decided to convert my a ToddleeDoo Kid avatar into an adult woman.  Being a child in SL used to be fun. Now it feels so heavy, so political. You illustrated that when you reprimanded Luna Bliss in this very thread. Child avatars can’t even express their sadness about these changes (while agreeing with them) without getting attacked.

Everything has become a hothouse of rancorous, acrimonious, divisive debate, with little thought, feeling, or empathy for the content creators and child/teen role players who are most directly impacted by these changes. Express sorrow and you’re instantly branded a pedophile apologist. No wonder Coffee and Madi know of people who are packing up and leaving. 

I predict a very rocky road ahead for SL and LL over the next couple of months.

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

I do not think that it causes disruption. Do not overestimate the impact of child play. There are not so many people running child avatars, and the ToS changes basically do not change anything for the est. 95 percent users who never did and never will use a child avatar or actively interact with one. I doubt that more than a "handful" of child players ever really "resided" on A rated sims, and if, these can easily move to M rated sims, without much fuss, or change their sim to M if they really own one. The entire thing will pass almost unnoticed by the vast majority of users, no need to worry.

Never been to any adoption agencies have you

59 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It was my grandmother who taught me most of my favourite swear words.

I learned mine from my step-dad. All before middle school, too.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 10:07 PM, Stephanie Misfit said:

Hopefully those "family friendly nude beaches" that are nothing but a cover for ***** activities will fall by the wayside with the introduction of the new restrictions.

AMEN! 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

I've been sailing in the Blake for over 10 years, and I have seen a few things but its very rare.   An, no I'm not going to change my avatar to enjoy one of the things I've been doing in SL for 10 years.   If I encounter nudity or sex I will be filing the AR report.

Is the LCC still doing topless cruises?  Seems to me I still see notices about them.

Not that I've ever taken part.

Nonono.

>.>

• Haha 5

41 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

This is where we agree. In the current climate, a moral outrage/moral panic over sexualized *****/virtual pedophilia could finish Second Life off. 

This is why I have decided to convert my a ToddleeDoo Kid avatar into an adult woman.  Being a child in SL used to be fun. Now it feels so heavy, so political. You illustrated that when you reprimanded Luna Bliss in this very thread. Child avatars can’t even express their sadness about these changes (while agreeing with them) without getting attacked.

Everything has become a hothouse of rancorous, acrimonious, divisive debate, with little thought, feeling, or empathy for the content creators and child/teen role players who are most directly impacted by these changes. Express sorrow and you’re instantly branded a pedophile apologist. No wonder Coffee and Madi know of people who are packing up and leaving. 

I predict a very rocky road ahead for SL and LL over the next couple of months.

SL and any other virtual world will always have an uphill battle against the incentive structure that shapes its user demographics. Virtual worlds always attract those who want to act on desires that would get them executed or imprisoned in real life. It was like that back then, and it is like that now.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Madi Melodious said:

Not with many skin creators quitting the platform or refusing to make new products for the child av community.   It's just not worth it.

Which ones have said they are quitting? Not doubting you, just curious as to which ones I should buy before their creators close their stores.

1 minute ago, Madi Melodious said:

Not with many skin creators quitting the platform or refusing to make new products for the child av community.   It's just not worth it.

agree , is not fair how all this is going,

1 minute ago, BriannaLovey said:

Ah yes. Their stuff is gone now already, it seems.

1 minute ago, Madi Melodious said:

Zooby seems for one.

Well I feel bad for those that have Zooby. Now they can't use Zooby at all which also affects those creators that created clothes and accessories for the body. That's a shame.

• Like 1

I'm finding it interesting that many people here call the children community a minority, while they've never been to adoption centers, schools, sport clubs, recreational areas, or even consider that any of these kids have any sl relatives; (parents, aunts, nieces, school friends, teachers) of whom a lot live on none sexual, adult areas of land.

• Like 2

Just now, Denim Robonaught said:

I'm finding it interesting that many people here call the children community a minority, while they've never been to adoption centers, schools, sport clubs, recreational areas, or even consider that any of these kids have any sl relatives; (parents, aunts, nieces, school friends, teachers) of whom a lot live on none sexual, adult areas of land.

Some of these people seem to live in a very isolated bubble of second life and are completely unaware of how big communities like the SL kids community and another worried party, the anime avatar community actually are.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Denim Robonaught said:

I don't think it's a minority but just as the Child Avatars will have to follow new rules so will those families that are on Adult land. If they want to continue to RP with Child Avatars they will need to live on G or M rated land.  If the land is non sexual then they won't have an issues moving to new land or they just won't be able to RP on their land.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I don't think it's a minority but just as the Child Avatars will have to follow new rules so will those families that are on Adult land. If they want to continue to RP with Child Avatars they will need to live on G or M rated land.  If the land is non sexual then they won't have an issues moving to new land or they just won't be able to RP on their land.

I know, i'm just trying to portray how big of a scope this change really is.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

From the vibe that I get in world, and I'm getting a lot of vibes, most of us are not exactly against the new rules.   The rule about no child avatars in adult regions has been unwritten for years.  No loss there.   But most of us are upset that we are being singled out and we are losing so much content for no reason other than because someone isn't happy.   The modesty layer isn't called for when alpha will do the job just fine.   The modesty layer isn't going to change anything.  They don't want child av's to be nude in public or private.   You are simply not going to be able to enforce that last one if someone is bound and determined to break the rules in private.   

Edited by Madi Melodious
  • Like 10

On 5/3/2024 at 7:43 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I closed down the browser and was getting ready for bed, when I realized how truly sick this whole thing is.

Once the new rules take effect and child avatars MUST be wearing a modesty skin, anyone derendering a child's clothing and seeing they DON'T have the modesty skin can AR them, and LL will ban them.

I'm sure there are lots of people that hate child avis that will do it.

*shaking my head in disgust at the target LL has painted on every child's back

Maybe LL should think about banning the people that go around derendering a child av's clothing.       Just saying.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

The modesty layer isn't called for when alpha will do the job just fine.   The modesty layer isn't going to change anything.  They don't want child av's to be nude in public or private.   You are simply not going to be able to enforce that last one if someone is bound and determined to break the rules in private.

Agreed. I think that this is one thing that they could change that would really make a difference in how this is perceived.

• Like 6