Coming to Accept "Different" people in Second Life

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I was SO proud of myself last week when I apparently provoked Brianna Wu to block me on Twitter!

Achievement unlocked!!! Woot me!

OMG LOL.

There was someone else who got caught preemptively blocking a ton of people before they'd even interacted, and I can't remember who it was...and no, it wasn't me (though I am very guilty of this).

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic, lol. I am definitely NOT this block-happy in Second Life, though if we had actual timelines in-world, perhaps I would be. 👀

• Like 2

My actual friends don't usually have some extreme opinion that I'm not already okay with. Although I can't think of many extreme opinions I have. I probably do though to some. Again it usually boils down to someone trying to control how others should live or what they believe.  It wouldn't include something like if they had a foot fetish... eww.. but I'm not going to defriend them over having a weird kink that doesn't hurt anyone. Although I do like people with a sense of humor so would be better if I could poke a tiny amount of fun about our differences.. and they can do the same back under the umbrella of friendship and real mutual caring. It's part of the vetting process for me I guess. 
Now family.. whew.. that's different you can love and accept someone with different beliefs but you can also dislike them depending on how they are about those beliefs. Do they try to shove them down your throat? Yeah nope, nope.
I had a toxic mother .. I seriously think she had Borderline Personality Disorder, not that she would have ever believed this or gotten help for it. I accept that she was the way she was and can even appreciate much of what she did that was good and caring with some reflecting, but if I could have known and chosen not to be exposed to that type of person I would have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'll use an example. There's a fairly prolific forum poster here (I'm sure he'll recognize himself if he reads this) who very deliberately posts slightly trashy misogyny -- often in response to something I've said. There is zero question that it's deliberately provocative. BUT my familiarity with him over the years here provides important context: he is "teasing" and doing so in fun. I think he probably IS what I might term a little "sexist," but not obnoxiously so, and I recognize that his provocations are actually, well, "affectionate." And I respond in kind to that, even while groaning inwardly at some of the things he says, because it's clearly not intended to be nasty, but has instead become a kind of friendly banter between us. I like him, oddly enough, in part because he says trashily sexist things that he really only half means: they are part of the way in which we "connect" here. I like him.

He sounds terrible! More than just different! Look at you, defending a sexist. I'm shocked and appalled. Downright bewildered!

Next you're gonna say @Luna Bliss's Women's Studies degree will never help make a sandwich.

Who would say something like that? Shame on you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1. Happy Birthday!

2. "Different" is such a relative term. I grew up in a patch of Midwest US so homogeneous that the Norwegian immigrants thought the Swedish immigrants too alien to qualify as fully human, and vice versa. And the local town kids were a different species from the local country kids, and everyone knew and respected those distinctions.

But facing Godzilla, even Kong is close enough.

3. Identities in SL are always at some level performative, or constructed at least. Some profiles, for example, are aggressively individualistic. Like "anybody who got the vaccine will be muted on contact" individualistic. While it might be amusing to try to bridge those differences, there's nothing generous in doing that, so I'm inclined to give them the wide berth they seek. At least until Godzilla blurs some lines for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

He sounds terrible! More than just different! Look at you, defending a sexist. I'm shocked and appalled. Downright bewildered!

Me too! It's hard to believe such an appalling person actually even exists!!

Thank god you are so different from that, right??? 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

1. Happy Birthday!

2. "Different" is such a relative term. I grew up in a patch of Midwest US so homogeneous that the Norwegian immigrants thought the Swedish immigrants too alien to qualify as fully human, and vice versa. And the local town kids were a different species from the local country kids, and everyone knew and respected those distinctions.

But facing Godzilla, even Kong is close enough.

3. Identities in SL are always at some level performative, or constructed at least. Some profiles, for example, are aggressively individualistic. Like "anybody who got the vaccine will be muted on contact" individualistic. While it might be amusing to try to bridge those differences, there's nothing generous in doing that, so I'm inclined to give them the wide berth they seek. At least until Godzilla blurs some lines for them.

Great points!

I think that I assume people who get under my skin are being "real"! 
- "Well, that right there's your problem!", quoting various mechanic videos where the engine is missing.

• Like 4

Sometimes it is the reverse, when you realise the 'different' people you thought were your crowd turn out to be not so great...😕 It got boring at one punk club seeing people type about how they hated hipsters, or how people with wings were ‘lame’', or how vampires were idiots, or how most of SL was stupid, or how nekos looked dumb (I was one at the time, and somebody said this next to me one night, with a lot of LOLs in local chat…😤)

In the end, me and a friend dressed up in ballroom gowns and tiaras and TPd into one punk club requesting songs by Avril Lavigne (who they hated because they considered her 'fake') and they banned us both xD By the way, that wasn’t all SL punks,  just a minority...but I realised there were loads more people to interact with who didn't spend their time slagging off everyone else B| 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Sometimes it is the reverse, when you realise the 'different' people you thought were your crowd turn out to be not so great...😕 It got boring at one punk club seeing people type about how they hated hipsters, or how people with wings were ‘lame’', or how vampires were idiots, or how most of SL was stupid, or how nekos looked dumb (I was one at the time, and somebody said this next to me one night, with a lot of LOLs in local chat…😤)

In the end, me and a friend dressed up in ballroom gowns and tiaras and TPd into one punk club requesting songs by Avril Lavigne (who they hated because they considered her 'fake') and they banned us both xD By the way, that wasn’t all SL punks,  just a minority...but I realised there were loads more people to interact with who didn't spend their time slagging off everyone else B| 

I love this story, it's like, your "canon event" as a superhero/villain!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Me too! It's hard to believe such an appalling person actually even exists!!

Thank god you are so different from that, right??? 😏

I clearly have more friends than that guy.

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

What might you like on your sandwich, Paul.  I have special home made ingredients I utilize for special friends.

Home made! Most people buy their rat poison in stores.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
39 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

What might you like on your sandwich, Paul.  I have special home made ingredients I utilize for special friends.

There are sooo many "different" people in SL who just need to relax and eat some pie.

IMG_2988.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:
23 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
41 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

There are sooo many "different" people in SL who just need to relax and eat some pie.

/me eats salad as we speak (for real) and pines for pie..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

/me eats salad as we speak (for real) and pines for pie..

Take care, for even salads are not safe in SL from those "different" people who would commit abominations in front of them! This is, luckily, a "difference" mostly confined to memes and virtual worlds where no inanimate object is safe.

IMG_2989.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying

49 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Are you suuuure those were actual punks? I'm from a slightly adjacent crowd (industrial, primarily), and I don't really remember offline punks sounding so...whiny. Overly critical, yes - all of those groups are. Whiny, not really.

Then again, I never attempted to troll them. 😂

I never got too deep into those music scenes and clubs in SL, though. They were nowhere near as fun as the real ones, and don't even get me started about SL's noise scene (or lack thereof!!).

• Like 2

First off, happy burpday Love! 🎂

I have a fairly thick skin when it comes to dealing with others online, partly because I've been doing it for a long time, going back to the early 1990s, online services like CompuServe, and the pre-Web Internet including IRC and Usenet. 👴 Most of the folks I've encountered over the years have been pleasant to deal with, and the few exceptions were easy to avoid or block from view. Sadly, politics has always been an area of potential conflict — I started running into people who took against me simply for not sharing their worldview back in the 2000s on Slashdot. 🤷‍♂️

Social media, and virtual worlds like Second Life, have just multiplied the ways in which people can express and propagate their tribal loyalties (and get in the face of those they perceive as the 'enemy'). 😒 That is one reason why I came off all the major social media platforms completely back in 2019, along with fatigue from trying to keep the flow of the Firehose at a manageable rate. (I've tried Mastodon a few times, but it suffers from the same issue of Too Much Stuff.)

As a rule, I don't block people in Second Life — that is reserved solely for spammers. There are a few people who I no longer deal with in-world, for various reasons around trust, but I simply avoid them rather than block. Thankfully, I rarely encounter anyone who wants to try and rile me up, and I respond by ignoring them and not giving them the attention they crave. I don't judge people on their in-world appearance — as someone who uses their avatar as a canvas, I totally get others using theirs as dress-up dolls, and more power to them. Their chat or their profile will usually tip me off early if they're liable to rub me up the wrong way, so I just sail on by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I give everyone a shot at being a decent human. Outside of that, I don't care someone's original or background or what they're into. The only thing I ever want from someone is basic respect for animals and people and hold an actual conversation-- everything else is negotiable.

I live by "If you are the person your pet believes you are, then you're probably okay."

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Rat Luv said:
17 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Are you suuuure those were actual punks?

I'm not sure! Maybe they were really classical fans, RPing B|

Ahah! They were possibly "punks" by the classic definition:

INFORMALNORTH AMERICAN
2. a worthless person (often used as a general term of abuse).
"you think any of these punks they got fighting today could stand up to Joe Louis?"
Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1