BBB & Bias: Currently FOUR regions to 'decorate' for the 'community event'?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 70 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

So, all I have to do is get a group together with all the skills needed for putting on a big event, make a plan together, settle the logistics, write it all up, take it to the Lab, and pitch the idea.

Well, this thread has been cleaned up quite a bit, but suffice it to say that some people who assembled competent teams and spent many hours developing projects to benefit communities within SL have found it less easy than others to "take it to the lab".  But certainly Cinnamon is giving great advice when she recommends soliciting LL's support earlier, rather than later, when developing large projects.

And of course, keep in mind that things change, and one's efforts can become obsolete should the lab change directions, as private estate owners have discovered many times.

The best reason to embark on time-consuming projects within SL is because you enjoy the effort for its own sake.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

The Bellisserian Bureau of Bureaucracy, I think.  I'm not 100% sure on that (or my spelling)

I don't have a passport or license, but I seem to remember trick or treating at the headquarters. 

Why the heck would something like that even get regions to show? LOL!!!!

This is a silly topic, silly complaints, and it's all just very silly.

BFI - Monty Python and the Holy Grail screens as part of our UK-wide  celebration of comedy. Screenings of this classic and more can be found on  our website: http://bit.ly/2A8l4fF #BFIComedy |

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Why the heck would something like that even get regions to show? LOL!!!!

'Why' and 'how' is pretty much explained in the previous thread I posted, but I understand why you might not want to wade through that. As you say, Bellisseria is a very silly place.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

Of course, if one were to run along to Swordfish and inspect the furnishings of the Parade of Homes office, they might be able to ascertain some members for themselves.

(Not flaming, not name-calling, merely trying to correct some earlier misinformation.)

That is one way to do it. Perhaps an even easier way is to go to the BBB HQ and look at the online indicators for the team members. They are all over the HQ in plain sight. There was never any attempt to conceal who the team is or what we do.

Another way to do it would be to look at the short team bios .. a link to the team members it is posted on the sidebar of the Gazette.

I am a member of the BBB team. My job is that I write articles for the Gazette and write the Parade of Homes Blog. I also help occasionally with generic questions about passports but I dont issue passports or passport stamp terminals, nor do I invite people to the BBBug group.

Edited by Teresa Firelight
added clarification that I dont invite people the the BBBug group
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've been reading a bunch of stuff and it seems that there are people who are unhappy with Bello in general and LL's focus on it and (or also)  have issues with BBB and the people who belong to it/the relationship with LL. 

It also seems like a lot of these issues aren't really unique to SL but stuff that plays out in real life communities.  My hometown has had drama because there are groups that had closer relationships with city council etc that seemed to get favored treatment when it came certain events or an organization that had a stranglehold on certain types of events and didn't seem open to everyone.  So it feels to me a big issue is just people being people and the only way to change it is to change people over all .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

That is one way to do it. Perhaps an even easier way is to go to the BBB HQ and look at the online indicators for the team members. They are all over the HQ in plain sight.

Can I suggest you put them all in one place rather than scattering them all over the HQ? I could only find about six. Maybe the others weren't rezzing.

Are the Moles building a high school for Bellisseria at the moment?
It seems like the school drama that always comes with such an institute has already arrived.

Kudos to the people who use Bellisseria only to have a quiet and peaceful home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

Are the Moles building a high school for Bellisseria at the moment?
It seems like the school drama that always comes with such an institute has already arrived.

Kudos to the people who use Bellisseria only to have a quiet and peaceful home.

Maybe there will be a High School Musical, with obviously-over-18 Avatars playing the roles! Just like the Disney movie!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MillyWH said:

My hometown has had drama because there are groups that had closer relationships with city council etc that seemed to get favored treatment when it came certain events or an organization that had a stranglehold on certain types of events and didn't seem open to everyone.

Yeah, this is just how villages work. People are happier working with friends and family, and it's actually more efficient a lot of the time because they have a good grasp of those people's skillsets and the best way to manage them. And yes, you probably do need to suck up to the vicar if you want to use the church hall on a regular basis, and no, the committee in charge of the village fete probably aren't interested in the lady who just moved in and her fancy new ideas.

We basically don't get to fix this unless we go back to the old policy of Lindens not interacting with residents, which I'm not sure anyone wants.

Edited by Sparkle Bunny
spelling
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Thanks for responding, Prudence. So to be clear; you've been planning this Bellisseria specific event - with at least four regions for you and your planning commitee to decorate- for the past year? I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding this. 

Interesting.

I think many of us would be SUPER interested in being part of any team of people that 'have hosted many events over the years' - especially those that have Linden Lab support, marketing, and future 'event hosting oppertunities'. Can you help me (and anyone else interested) understand how we get the oppertunity to do those things? It seems like all of these oppertunities keep being offered to the same people - the people in the groups that you mentioned in your 'statement' above. 

Who made the committee? Who approved it on the Linden side?

It's my understanding that there are designers on these regions that are giving out 'freebies' for their brands - who decided who those designers would be?

And if it's true that there are desginers, was there an oppertunity for all of the Second Life designers to put up their items with a freebie - or just the ones that your Planning Committee selected? 

I thought you had left Second Life and all these exasperations behind?

I think the problem with your playing of the game of Second Life is that you want to figure out how to get into the FIC, now that you really understand they exist, and they won't let you in.

To get into the FIC, you can't just ingratiate yourself and write off-key love songs to the Moles. You have to be able to say "how high?" when the Lindens say "Jump!".  Yet you must be enough of a go-getter to even ask them the question -- at the right time and place, perhaps at an event where they are being dunked.

Then...you have to have a certain amount of self-activation, but you can't be saying -- when the Lindens say "Jump!" - "I think we should hop instead." Or "I've found I can jump higher if you change this aspect or that aspect of what you're doing."

The Lindens need a funny combination of initiative and subordination, bland homogenity yet enthusiastic cheer-leading. The Komsomol can serve as a role model.

You also have to be able to accept imponderables and contradictions, like being told you are disqualified from an event because you supposedly "sell traffic," but somebody else gets in fact to sell highly-priced real-estate in their select region with the Linden love shower such events get, or somebody else essentially sells their brand with Bellisseria groups and events because the links are obvious. 

I personally find that you are happier in SL, the less you require any Linden involvement for your business. If you are dependent on them in any way, you don't have a business, you have a cult. Of course we're all dependent on them ultimately but still, you can keep this to a minimum.

The most successful businesses in SL, if anything, have the Lindens chasing after them trying to figure out how to copy or co-opt them.

That elusive combination of self-effacement and shining enthusiasm is a difficult pas de deux, Feorie 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, PrudenceAnton said:

Hello everyone. 

The Bellisseria 5th Anniversary Planning Committee thanks you for your interest in this event. Over the past year the Committee, along with various Bellisseria groups, and residents have worked tirelessly towards planning this event. It has been a labor of love for the residents of Second Life and the Bellisseria community.

We had planned to make the official announcement next week through various groups, media, and the forums.

The Planning Committee consists of a team of residents that have hosted many events over the last 5 years within Bellisseria.  The planning of this event has been an inclusive collaboration of many Bellisseria groups, individuals, and performers to come together and put on this month-long event. It is not one person, or one group but the involvement of many, working together in order to celebrate the milestone event of Bellisseria turning 5 years old this April. 

We are thankful to the BBB and all the other Bellisseria groups, and individuals, who participated to help organize some of the events for the celebration, at the Planning Committee's request.

We are also thankful to the Lab for their involvement in this event. We appreciate the time and hard work that the Moles and Lindens have given towards its completion. We hope that the residents of Second Life and Bellisseria will join us in this milestone celebration and come together in kindness, friendship, and commemorate that we the residents of Bellisseria have built an amazing and vibrant community.

The Bellisseria 5th Anniversary Planning Committee
Prudence Anton
Cian Wycliffe
Riot Hax
Kalia Cherry Anatine-Hax
Stephanie Gardner 
Krys Calamity
Varistentia Varriale

One of the things that is gratifying to me in my old age (20 years in SL!) is that all the theories I expounded in my youth which people dismissed as crazy, conspiratorial, rooted in jealousy, etc. etc. are now simply accepted everywhere as the Facts of Second Life. Not everyone gets to see their life's work come to fruition in their lifetime!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

It's my understanding that anyone can join BBB. It's not an exclusive group. I've been in it with a few accounts but left because they're more 'PG' than I tend to be in SL.

But they do the passports and other things and have long been an easy bridge of contact between residents and moles / lindens.

That's a very useful thing to have. Rather than complain about it - one can just join them and put their own efforts into the collective pot.

It's very easy to join up - you just go to the BBB spot where one can get 'passports' and other handy HUDs, and one of the signs on the wall has info on doing it. They do that to make sure that the account joining actually has a Belli parcel.

I didn't know any of the people in there when I joined with my main account, and I just got handed an invite anyway. No 'special clique' at all. Ask to be in, and you're there.

As to why they'd get event space, that's easy: they're active, they're all Belli residents, they have a history of motivating members to 'get it done', and they have a history of organizing community events / gatherings in a friendly no-drama manner. As in: they're a safe bet that if you invite them to do an event space, it will be there and ready on time and be made in a community friendly way.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

It's my understanding that anyone can join BBB. It's not an exclusive group. I've been in it with a few accounts but left because they're more 'PG' than I tend to be in SL.

You're not confusing it with the Bellisserian Citizens group, are you? That's open to everyone without having to request an invite, and is full of PG chatter.

As I posted upthread, the BBB is currently a private group with around twenty members. Maybe it was open access before, but it isn't now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always want to think the best if everyone, so if the favoritism is real, that's disappointing.   If groups are competing with each other instead of collaborating,  that's disappointing,  too. Everyone should get a fair shake at community building. 

I hope there isn't a ruling party.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sparkle Bunny said:

You're not confusing it with the Bellisserian Citizens group, are you? That's open to everyone without having to request an invite, and is full of PG chatter.

As I posted upthread, the BBB is currently a private group with around twenty members. Maybe it was open access before, but it isn't now.

No I'm not. See my post edits - the BBB is a closed group but also easy to join.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

We basically don't get to fix this unless we go back to the old policy of Lindens not interacting with residents, which I'm not sure anyone wants.

The times that I talked with a Linden inworld can be counted on two fingers. So that is next to nothing given my 17 active years in SL. And that was even just a bit small talk.
If one doesn't actively search for them and circle them, one will hardly stumble over one. Leave alone interact with them seriously somehow.

A vast majority of residents wouldn't even notice if no Linden would ever set foot in SL again other than for strict work purpose like testing and repairing things.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

Maybe for you, but the rest of us only have access to the BBB Users Group.

So is "BBB Users Group" what people refer to when they say "I got in easy and it is a big group?"

And is it another group named BBB for the leaders? It is only 20 persons and closed for the public?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

So is "BBB Users Group" what people refer to when they say "I got in easy and it is a big group?"

And is it another group named BBB for the leaders? It is only 20 persons and closed for the public?

Which sounds like most big commmunity groups to me, one big group for everyone, then a smaller one for the big bosses:tm: to have for ease of conversation/land things

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I even have a far more exclusive group.
Only for me and my alt. Of course no one can join. Even the name of the group is top secret!!!
Just saying.
;)

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Yes, that's the situation as I understand it and posted above.

Nobody's expecting the actual bureau in charge of issuing passports to have hundreds of members and be open to everyone, so it's weird when people insist they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

The real question is how does one get to be on the The Bellisseria 6th Anniversary Planning Committee for next year?

I think that this kind of threads likely make, that no one has any fun or stamina left to organize an anniversary in the future.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 70 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.