Water Horse of Teegle??

So, I am no expert on SL horses, but I want to buy one. There seems to be a debate as to which one you should get. The two top ones I keep hearing are Teegle and Waterhorse, and there advocates for both. I am  just wondering what you all think? Which you prefer and why?

As far as I know, Waterhorse released one or two animesh horses when that was a new thing, and then went kind of silent. I don't know whether they ever came 'back', as I eventually went with Teegle myself. 

What I can say for Teegle is that it has a very large community of both creators (skins/accessories/animations for your horse) and various sorts of horse-related events, such as riding classes, group rides, and exhibitions. I do feel Waterhorse look a little less cartoony though, but that's a matter of preference (and they still do look really nice!). 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Orwar said:

As far as I know, Waterhorse released one or two animesh horses when that was a new thing, and then went kind of silent. I don't know whether they ever came 'back', as I eventually went with Teegle myself. 

What I can say for Teegle is that it has a very large community of both creators (skins/accessories/animations for your horse) and various sorts of horse-related events, such as riding classes, group rides, and exhibitions. I do feel Waterhorse look a little less cartoony though, but that's a matter of preference (and they still do look really nice!). 

I'd agree that the Waterhorse looks better.  I got one soon after they came out but have switched to Teegle for the reasons you've mentioned.  I still ride both, though.

• Like 3

I've demoed the Waterhorse and it was nice but what ultimately drew me to Teegle was the large community and support. Teegle has a wide range of horses, so you have a lot of options. It has a lot of creators that make for the horses so you can get extra things like a custom coat pattern or different mane styles etc. Teegle has a Google calendar where every day seems to have at least 3 horse-related events. It has a bunch of active stables on SL and a large community. I would recommend considering what you want the horse for, demoing the different horses, and attending some of events. For a lot of the events you don't need to own a horse as they have horse rezzers there. I currently own two horses from Teegle, Miss Marple my Irish cob, and  Poirot my Andalusian. 

• Like 3

If you are after something that looks realistic, i recommend going to the Realistek store inworld. You can ride them there. They can take two riders, and the ride is really well made .. with four gaits etc too! I'm pretty sure they are both rezzable wandering types, and wearable teleportable types. There isn't a community of bits and bobs though. if that is your preference then i would look at the others^^.

• Like 1

I own a Teegle.  At the time i purchased it (some years ago now), I felt like overall it was better than the Waterhorse.  However, since then, the Waterhorse horses have been updated (that or they've released new ones) and after testing them I believe they are now better overall.

I should add for clarity, that I like to ride in mouselook view, as this feels more realistic. Originally, both Teegle and Waterhose horses had the same issue where, in mouselook view,  they would only move in the direction you were looking.  This always annoys me no end. 

The new Waterhorse horses however, have fixed this issue, which means you can ride the horses in mouselook view, and move in one direction, whilst looking around independently, just like you would in RL if you were sightseeing along a trail etc.  This is the main reason why i think Waterhorse is now better, but obviously if you ride in 3rd-person view then this doesn't matter.

• Like 5

I have one of each. I prefer the Teegle, but that's mostly because it's a "wearable" and easier to use. My Waterhorse, while lovely, is a rezzable, and no copy. I'm terrified of losing it.

I know passionate advocates for each. One of my friends actually rears horses, and she love Waterhorse, for whatever that's worth.

• Like 2

The rezzable waterhorse needs serious work on the scripts to overcome long-standing and well known (to vehicle scripters) bugs and problems. I even bought the friends edition (ouch). The animesh horse itself is wonderful, but it was always a case of how far can I get before the scripts die. Even wearing it (and I dislike wearables) wasn't bulletproof; eventually I'd end up offset to the side of the horse and no amount of script resetting would solve it. I would have to melt that one into glue and rez or wear a new copy.

I also got some really great looking tack and stuff, but because it was all made by someone used to making wearable meshes where nobody gives a damn about triangles or textures or whatever, it all turned the horse into like 200LI (ouch again).

There's something kind of derpy about the Teegle horse but if I ever spent $13k on a horse again I would probably go for one of those.

• Like 2

I have both, i love the waterhorse, its rezzable and attachable and copy, the gaits and rider animations are far superior and it looks far better than any teegle straight out the box. Ive never had any trouble with the scripts on mine and its always been my most reliable land mode of transport.  That being said, if you are willing to pay  the extra money to get a copy teegle, then buy a skin, mane and tail, eyes and tack and animation packs they are both comparable but you have the extra community with teegle and the option to do events like dressage, western, jumping and racing that you just dont get with waterhorse.

• Like 1

Two minutes later than that. Unless the ground is exactly level this happens. The good news is that it recovers now, if you tap a movement key it will correct. When it first came out the death tilt was unstoppable and permanent.

It is a beautiful horse though.

waterhorse2.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Yorkie Bardeen said:

Two minutes later than that. Unless the ground is exactly level this happens. The good news is that it recovers now, if you tap a movement key it will correct. When it first came out the death tilt was unstoppable and permanent.

It is a beautiful horse though.

waterhorse2.jpg

Maybe is using Ostrich script?

On 3/22/2024 at 9:09 PM, Ricky40 said:

So, I am no expert on SL horses, but I want to buy one. There seems to be a debate as to which one you should get. The two top ones I keep hearing are Teegle and Waterhorse, and there advocates for both. I am  just wondering what you all think? Which you prefer and why?

I have both.

Teegle horses have better animations and there's a bigger third-party market for customisation. Waterhorses look more realistic, they are also more customisable out-of-the-box without additional purchases. So it really depends which of those you prefer.

I ususally pull out my Teegle first.

there are demos; always demo!  (of course.)

but the opinions of longer-term users are very helpful!

i suggest making a notecard and a wishlist with cost.

if you get a teegle, the tack will be separate.  alternate skins, too.

waterhorse comes with tack, and some skin variants.

if you want to ride a horse, i think they are very similar.  if you want an 'ai' pet horse to live with you, that wanders around your land, eating your grass, interacting with each other (you will NOT buy just one)... teeglepet horses have that.