Shop (store) ideas that won't fly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

58 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

SL, where a string bikini is literally, two pieces of string.

I actually own an SL String bikini that is dermal piercings connected by string. And another from the same store that's three decorative metal plates attached by string.

TwoStringBikinis.thumb.jpg.eea8579b42ff62a060c004cf0ca775a4.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PixelBerry said:

Realistically my my virtual and real mugs really needs a heavy duty tech bra, with pockets because why not. 

Definitely. Who of us with a larger cup size hasn't used that natural pocket space at some time? Why don't bra makers take advantage of it and put a pocket there for keys or tissue?  I'd probably use that at the gym, since my T-shirt and leggings don't have pockets.

Why doesn't gym wear have more pockets anyway? Are people afraid that if we have pockets in leggings someone might think that bulge of tissues and a locker key is actually a lump of fat? Come on, pockets can't look any worse than a fanny pack worn on the stomach.

• Like 3

On 3/7/2024 at 10:49 AM, Raspberry Crystal said:

I have spotted a gap in the market.

Many sl avatars are amply proportioned in the chest area, but the underwear available is clearly not adequate to provide proper support.
Shoulder straps which are too narrow, fabrics which look flimsy, cup coverage which barely reaches the edges, I am sure you have seen the examples yourself.
So many residents are heading for back pain and ongoing discomfort.

In addition, many clothing lines sport tops and bottoms which don't meet in the middle, leaving scope for cold draughts and risk of chills.
I could also mention the ultra high heels sold, with no thought for foot health, and don't get me started on skimpy swimwear which would be unlikely to survive a few laps of any municipal swimming pool.

In short, what is needed here is a traditional lady's wear store, which sells well constructed underpinnings, thermal base layers, longline blouses, sensible wide fitting footwear and a range of high stretch, tummy taming swim garments which cover all the vital areas with a considerable margin of safety.

Of course I forgot to mention traditional waist high knickers, not necessarily in old fashioned floral designs, because you can be trendy, whilst being sensible. Nightwear could be added later, possibly something in a brushed cotton.

I think about starting this kind of shop every year, and then think, nope, nobody's going to buy the stock, sigh.....

Anyone else have fabulous ideas that just won't work?

Here's a lingerie set from Glitz that has ample coverage panties.

[Glitzz] Isa - Valentines - Flickr
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, gwynchisholm said:

A virtual proxy to an eBay store, where you buy items in L$ as a currency conversion rate equivalent to the real items listing price. When you buy it you have to send the seller a notecard with your address irl in order to have the real item shipped to you.
I guess you could do that with any real storefront, have a SL virtual store mirror it where you buy items in L$.

This would be a great way to try on those clothes that look good in catalogs, but we can't try on before buying them. The only downside is that we'd have to make an avatar that really looks like we do in RL, in all our ample or saggy glory.

• Like 3

I already have a store like this in Atis with a SORRY WE"RE OPEN sign out front where I sell postcards, envelopes, stamps -- no one ever seems to buy them!

You would think they had some other electronic means of communication or something! That they are too young to remember the thrill of a letter in the mail!

Nowadays, people would never trot around the grid collecting stamps, right?

In fact, no one ever gets anything in this store because they click on things and get transported to strange places!

What am I doing wrong?

OIG2 (3).jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

postcards, envelopes, stamps -- no one ever seems to buy them

I've seriously considered making fountain pens in SL, but I've been struggling thinking of any decent implementation other than decoration.

Actually using them in-world would be nothing like using them in real life, with all the nuances of fine to broad or calligraphic nibs, stiff, flexible, scratchy, smooth, bleeding inks, feathering, shading, shimmering, sheening, wet, dry. railroading, inky fingers...

[Edit] Inky fingers, I could do.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
#InkyFingers
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I've seriously considered making fountain pens in SL, but I've been struggling thinking of any decent implementation other than decoration.

Actually using them in-world would be nothing like using them in real life, with all the nuances of fine to broad or calligraphic nibs, stiff, flexible, scratchy, smooth, bleeding inks, feathering, shading, shimmering, sheening, wet, dry. railroading, inky fingers...

[Edit] Inky fingers, I could do.

I bet you could make them "squirt ink", like the old joke pens. And it could be "disappearing ink"!

• Like 2

My dream is to own an Edwardian-era children's fashion boutique.

I think it would see little traffic as anything other than an oddity, because most people in SL wouldn't want to dress up as children from an Edward Gorey artbook. At least these days.

gashlycrumb1.jpg?w=680&ssl=1

• Like 4

Retro prim furniture

I mentioned this idea a couple of times and one or two people thought it was a good idea. But it won't fly. It could get a few sales; i.e. it could make the occasional little nudge along the runway, but it would never take off and fly. - not as an inworld store, anyway, and not even in the marketplace. In both locations, it may get an occasional bump along the runway, but that all - imo.

I have an inventory full of the prim furniture I used to sell and, if I thought it would actually work as even a slightly profitable business, I'd do it. But it won't.

Edited by Phil Deakins

On 3/10/2024 at 6:36 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

Definitely. Who of us with a larger cup size hasn't used that natural pocket space at some time? Why don't bra makers take advantage of it and put a pocket there for keys or tissue?  I'd probably use that at the gym, since my T-shirt and leggings don't have pockets.

Why doesn't gym wear have more pockets anyway? Are people afraid that if we have pockets in leggings someone might think that bulge of tissues and a locker key is actually a lump of fat? Come on, pockets can't look any worse than a fanny pack worn on the stomach.

Omg yeah, I always have to put my locker keys and my phone on some dirty surface when I work out because there are no pockets anywhere! 😭

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

My dream is to own an Edwardian-era children's fashion boutique.

I think it would see little traffic as anything other than an oddity, because most people in SL wouldn't want to dress up as children from an Edward Gorey artbook. At least these days.

gashlycrumb1.jpg?w=680&ssl=1

I can envision a RP sim that mixes Lemony Snicket with Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I can envision a RP sim that mixes Lemony Snicket with Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Me, too. In my vision, all the children win.

Edit: It'd be like Lord of the Flies, but none of the kids would get hurt.

Can't speak for any grownups besides the nice ladies at the "odd children"'s home, though.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

I know that this post is meant to be tongue in cheek, but sometimes....

I'm tired of opening up Seraphim to check out the event galleries to constantly see tops that barely have a triangle to cover the "N" (not sure what gets flagged these days so using initials in this post). Skirts that are so short that the "V" is peeking out below the hem or so low in back that the whole crack shows .. not just butt cleavage. Pants with broken zippers. And on and on. Get the picture?

I'm just tired of it! Maybe it's my age. I just don't know anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Sorry, but is it wrong to say that would make a great and highly atmospheric sim? Rolling hills, telephone poles, and a single store? I'd love that.

That storefront would make a great donut shop, just saying.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Sorry, but is it wrong to say that would make a great and highly atmospheric sim? Rolling hills, telephone poles, and a single store? I'd love that.

1 hour ago, PheebyKatz said:

That storefront would make a great donut shop, just saying.

Or a solitary coffee shop with occational live music and poetry readings.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Or a solitary coffee shop with occational live music and poetry readings.

And donuts.

Edit: And perfume samplers.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.