SO DANG TIRED OF THE FANTASSERIA CONTROLLER BUG

Nika Talaj

I've set an alt that I accidentally let renew for a year the task of finding a Fantasseria parcel which is close enough to a rez zone that I could run ferries from it, and also close enough to a shore that said ferries could go to Eyrie etc. easily.  I see that many such parcels are available, just haven't gotten one yet.  She's hopping 4 or 5 times a day, and has abandoned many gorgeous parcels with the wrong geography for my needs.

What she HAS found is that many of the parcel controllers give this message when she touches them.

Sorry, but the scripts in the HouseController have just been reset and are still initializing.
Please try again in a minute or two.

She's been successful at resetting most of the ones she's found.  It takes a long touch of anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute.  It does not matter where she touches on the surface, or if she touches the root prim (a small white cube inside the controller, near the ground).  She tries a few times, often just getting the same message over and over.  Then, if I have time, she'll go away and try again an hour or so later, and often that works.  (I'm beginning to suspect this bug is time-of-day related; perhaps the reset message gets lost if a server is too busy).  If I don't have time to fool with it, she files an abuse report, which amusingly turns out to be on Quartz (sorry, my friend).  You might think I should file a bug report, but the moles are well aware of this issue, so I don't see the point.  I believe they've done something to this script over time, because I think the "reset" message has changed.  It is now:

[09:52] LH - Fantasy - House Controller v1.0 AAf: resetting LH Fantasy House Controller v1.0 AAf
[09:52] LH - Fantasy - House Controller v1.0 AAf: resetting LH2 Update HC Key registration.lsl

So far, about a fourth of the homes she's caught had this problem.  Earlier in her search, the percentage was higher, but perhaps the top of the Land Page queue was a bit clogged with nice parcels that had stuck controllers?  Anyway, she's told me that she feels like she's a Fantasseria housekeeper.  Poor little fae!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I wonder if this partly explains why the fantasy regions are not as popular.

Most residents don't know to come here and talk about an issue, nor even that filing a report "against" a mole actually just lets the mole know the issue is there. Ie: people might not realize how to get the issue addressed, and might think it's "working as intended" and just happens to "suck" rather than be bugged.

How many people give up in their dream of a fantasy home because the controller is wonky?

• Like 7

It's why I gave up mine. Set between a lake and a hill, waterfall and a water rez zone right next to it. I had it fixed two times within a month. My sister was right across the lake from me and she had the direct view of the waterfall from her back yard. She ended up having to give up her house for the same reason. I miss that house but it was just too frustrating to have it break whenever I felt like redecorating, which is usually about once a month unless I have an idea for a different house style half way through the decorating progress. 

• Sad 5

What a shame this is happening. I had an issue with the fantasseria 'decor pack' persistently not turning up, and that eventually fixed itself, but this sounds more on a level of the old continent where so many controllers just gave up on me.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Baiphen Quintessa said:

It's why I gave up mine. Set between a lake and a hill, waterfall and a water rez zone right next to it. I had it fixed two times within a month. My sister was right across the lake from me and she had the direct view of the waterfall from her back yard. She ended up having to give up her house for the same reason. I miss that house but it was just too frustrating to have it break whenever I felt like redecorating, which is usually about once a month unless I have an idea for a different house style half way through the decorating progress. 

I had no idea that controllers could fall into this state multiple times.  What a pity.  I wonder if they can spontaneously emerge from it as well, if one had the patience to wait and watch?

I give up, I've filed a bug.

https://feedback.secondlife.com/scripting-bugs/p/bellisseria-fantasy-controllers-lock-up

Please go to the bug and vote for it (press the up arrow in front of the bug title).  The new feedback system is much easier to use than Jira was.  You will probably have to log in, using your usual avatar name and password.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

13 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I had no idea that controllers could fall into this state multiple times

There are haunted fairies in Fantasseria doing this....I've seen them running through the mushrooms and crystals a couple times...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

What surprises me about this issue is not that it hasn't been fixed.  It's clear that Quartz gave attention to this when the problem was first noticed, and some bugs can take SO long to track down that it may be deemed a bad use of mole (contractor) dollars to fix them.

No, I'm surprised that no kludgy workaround has been put in place to help residents deal with it.  There are two problems here:

1. Sometimes the controller falls into a locked-up state
  2. The current workaround, resetting via a long touch, doesn't work very well and isn't well known.  Long touch detection, which for me works every time in other themes, is not working well in Fantasseria.  Possibly there's an infinite loop somewhere which is impeding it, perhaps the consequence of problem #1.

So why not, for example, replace or supplant the long touch detection with a different reset trigger?  And tell users about this reset mechanism in the error message?

E.g. can one of the 3 scripts in the Fantasseria controllers detect 3 touches by the parcel owner within 2 minutes?  Or a certain chatted phrase?  If so, make that the trigger.  And tell users about it in the "still initializing" message.  It's hard to believe that NONE of the 3 scripts have enough code space to do something like that.

Or, @Patch Linden, is there some management logjam that's preventing a solution here?  It's costing you Fantasseria uptake, and probably customer support time as well.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

What surprises me about this issue is not that it hasn't been fixed.  It's clear that Quartz gave attention to this when the problem was first noticed, and some bugs can take SO long to track down that it may be deemed a bad use of mole (contractor) dollars to fix them.

No, I'm surprised that no kludgy workaround has been put in place to help residents deal with it.  There are two problems here:

1. Sometimes the controller falls into a locked-up state
  2. The current workaround, resetting via a long touch, doesn't work very well and isn't well known.  Long touch detection, which for me works every time in other themes, is not working well in Fantasseria.  Possibly there's an infinite loop somewhere which is impeding it, perhaps the consequence of problem #1.

So why not, for example, replace or supplant the long touch detection with a different reset trigger?  And tell users about this reset mechanism in the error message?

E.g. can one of the 3 scripts in the Fantasseria controllers detect 3 touches by the parcel owner within 2 minutes?  Or a certain chatted phrase?  If so, make that the trigger.  And tell users about it in the "still initializing" message.  It's hard to believe that NONE of the 3 scripts have enough code space to do something like that.

Or, @Patch Linden, is there some management logjam that's preventing a solution here?  It's costing you Fantasseria uptake, and probably customer support time as well.

I notice in the new Mediterranean regions that the rezzers (possibly not the final ones) contain all the themes *except Fantasseria. This suggests to me that there is either something unique about the Fantasseria homes or that LL has been working on bugs in that theme for awhile and has isolated it from the other house themes for some reason.

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I notice in the new Mediterranean regions that the rezzers (possibly not the final ones) contain all the themes *except Fantasseria.

Does this mean you can rez "any theme you want" in Medi?

(Assume this does not include the "houseboats", etc.)

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

(Assume this does not include the "houseboats", etc.)

No. The house rezzers that we use only contain one theme. These rezzers sitting near the center of sim markers are different and say they contain all themes except Fantasseria.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

No. The house rezzers that we use only contain one theme. These rezzers sitting near the center of sim markers are different and say they contain all themes except Fantasseria.

Oops, sorry - I meant "except Fantasseria", now I am confused by your answer. LOL 🙂

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Oops, sorry - I meant "except Fantasseria", now I am confused by your answer. LOL 🙂

If you look at the regular house rezzers, even in the Demo regions, they only rez the houses for each individual theme.

Go look at the unfinished Linden Home 2048 m regions. Near the base of the center of sim markers are a bunch of boxes or mail boxes for the house rezzers and also a box that contains multiple house themes. 🏘  (I need to go back and take a look for more details.)

By the way, if any Linden-or-Mole reading this feels godlike,  if possible now would be a good time to shuffle the Fantasseria queue, if you want my alt to keep "housekeeping".  All 10 or so of the parcels that are being handed out by the land page now are in good shape.

(OH, and if you want me to just stop bothering you, she's found a parcel that she'd love to have, hasn't ever been claimed by anyone.  Since I've already spent more money on her than I intended, I won't be upping her to P+ just to claim this one!)

😇

• Like 1

• Moles
11 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

the rezzers (possibly not the final ones) contain all the themes *except Fantasseria. This suggests to me that there is either something unique about the Fantasseria homes

:)  What do the Fantasy houses do that no other house theme does?

11 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Nope! :)

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Moonstruck Mole said:

:)  What do the Fantasy houses do that no other house theme does?

They are alive.

Like everything else in Fantasseria, they bioluminesce.every 6 hours (the edges of the roofs, the branches on treehouse exteriors...).

And yes, they're seasonal too (just recently changed from winter's blue to spring's green). [ Every bioluminescing thing, from the algae on the water to the rocks, has a script.  I remember trying to do some math to figure out if the sheer number of scripts was an issue, and deciding that from the viewpoint of script time and sheer numbers, it shouldn't be.  I did not try to figure out the server memory impact.]

So ...perhaps there is something unique about the servers in Fantasseria regions, ergo Fantasy homes require a Fantasy region?

• Like 4

• Moles
On 3/4/2024 at 6:12 PM, Nika Talaj said:

I've set an alt that I accidentally let renew for a year the task of finding a Fantasseria parcel which is close enough to a rez zone that I could run ferries from it, and also close enough to a shore that said ferries could go to Eyrie etc. easily.  I see that many such parcels are available, just haven't gotten one yet.  She's hopping 4 or 5 times a day, and has abandoned many gorgeous parcels with the wrong geography for my needs.

What she HAS found is that many of the parcel controllers give this message when she touches them.

She's been successful at resetting most of the ones she's found.  It takes a long touch of anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute.  It does not matter where she touches on the surface, or if she touches the root prim (a small white cube inside the controller, near the ground).  She tries a few times, often just getting the same message over and over.  Then, if I have time, she'll go away and try again an hour or so later, and often that works.  (I'm beginning to suspect this bug is time-of-day related; perhaps the reset message gets lost if a server is too busy).  If I don't have time to fool with it, she files an abuse report, which amusingly turns out to be on Quartz (sorry, my friend).  You might think I should file a bug report, but the moles are well aware of this issue, so I don't see the point.  I believe they've done something to this script over time, because I think the "reset" message has changed.  It is now:

So far, about a fourth of the homes she's caught had this problem.  Earlier in her search, the percentage was higher, but perhaps the top of the Land Page queue was a bit clogged with nice parcels that had stuck controllers?  Anyway, she's told me that she feels like she's a Fantasseria housekeeper.  Poor little fae!

Sorry it's taken so long to get this fixed (it was blocked by something else, which proved far more difficult to fix than the issue with the housecontrollers, but we got there in the end.

We've just finished updating all the Fantasy regions.   Any problems with the house controllers please let me know, but I think the problem is now solved (you shouldn't now see that message again but, if you do, it will reset the script, which should fix whatever was the initial problem).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 12

Claimed 4 homes today, and no message, yay!  (But also no homes I wanted, lol)

Great job!  You should do something to get the word out that ding, dong, the bug is dead 😎  It would be ideal if you had a new home style for Fantasseria, then Patch could sort of re-launch the theme with a message in his Updates thread that mentions your triumph as well!

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • Moles
On 4/16/2024 at 3:11 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

I've had this happen every time, and I've had to put in a ticket to solve it, and wait several days for it to be solved, so maybe it is a damper on Fantasseria uptake.

Have you encountered this recently, Prok?  Our update of March 7 was supposed to fix this, and it did, as far as I know.   At least if it hasn't, this is the first I've heard (and when anything scripted goes wrong on Bellisseria, I normally hear about it pretty quickly).   We can tell when the house controllers have successfully configured themselves by checking their description fields (visible to estate managers with Region Objects) and when our QA team checked the regions after the update everything seemed to be in order.

If you noticed this issue after March 7th, please, if you can,let me know where and when it happened.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

Have you encountered this recently, Prok?  Our update of March 7 was supposed to fix this, and it did, as far as I know.   At least if it hasn't, this is the first I've heard (and when anything scripted goes wrong on Bellisseria, I normally hear about it pretty quickly).   We can tell when the house controllers have successfully configured themselves by checking their description fields (visible to estate managers with Region Objects) and when our QA team checked the regions after the update everything seemed to be in order.

If you noticed this issue after March 7th, please, if you can,let me know where and when it happened.  

I wasn't able to check every single account just now but from what I can see of several where I recall attempting Linden homes, you're right, nothing comes after March. It's all in February. I thought it had occurred *again* only in Sakurasseria this week (not Fantasseria) because I selected the house, then hovering over it, couldn't get the post office box to do anything, couldn't get anything to work. I relogged and kept trying.

Finally, I realized I was not on the parcel that I had selected, but the one next door. Derp.

So it's all good!

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1